Why become a member? ×

John Entwistle or Chris Squire, who do you prefer and why?

The-Ox

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1454361005' post='2969032']
Study both, see what you prefer. I couldn't learn much from John Entwistle as it would involve listening to the Who, and I don't want to do that. But I have learned a lot from Chris Squire.
[/quote]

This but in reverse, horses for courses and all that.
But then again I wasn't there when both bands hit the big time so my opinion holds no weight ;)

I'd have to pick Squire because I loved how he played, I loved his music & I loved his tone.
I know Entwhistle is regarded as one of the greats of rock bass playing & is a huge influence on many players (probably even Squire) but I never liked The Who's music that much & I never liked his sound or the way he played.

They are very similar in some ways, principally a revolutionary and groundbreaking style coupled with very early use of Rotosound roundwound strings... the 'big boing'.

I thought both were fantastic when I was a kid, less so now, but still enjoy an occasional listen.

good responses! Entwistle will always be my fave, but I'm finding it really interesting listening to Squire, trying to learn off them both. My pick technique has improved at least! Anyone know how to pick the way Squire does it? I can't hit the thumb on the strings properly, perhaps because its never been used before

I love both of those guys, but if I had to choose, it would be Chris Squire. Entwistle has a very improvisation-heavy style where he plays "through" the changes. Squire always wrote really carefully constructed basslines which he would execute beautifully on stage. A great singer too - as was John Entwistle. I was never a massive fan of Entwistles treble-tastic bass tone, but it worked really well for The Who.

In short- for a masterclass in taking a set of simple chord progressions and pushing them as far as they can go - Entwistle - especially "Live At Leeds". To hear someone combining superb musicianship with a brilliant ear for melody - Squire. Go for "The Yes Album" or "Fragile".

• Like 1

Hard to compare as there isn't a level playing field - The Who were very different to Yes. The Who's song-writing dominated by Pete Townsend where as classic Yes was a more varied mix of writers from the band. (Interestingly in later Yes when dominated by Trevor Rabin, Squire adopts a more traditional bass role.)

Anyways much as I love JE, he was mainly a pentatonic 4/4 guy (which he absolutely made the most of 'Real Me' anyone?) where as Squire was full major scale/modal part player, probably inspired from his choir-boy roots... And he had a sublime tone. And a gift for melody. And a great voice. And he was a good song-writer.... 'Onward' cover currently featured in soundtrack of Michael Caine's new film 'Youth'.

Edited by visog
  • Like 1

Been a Yes fan since my teens, but it has taken me longer to fully appreciate The Who. Both are great bassists with their own voice on the instrument. I think Squire had a great sense of melody and counterpoint that wasn't so apparent in Entwistle's playing (to my ears at least). But Entwistle did an amazing job (I'm sure partially aided by Moon's non-stop cymbal fest) of filling out the live sound of The Who in the days when it was just the four of them on stage. I think Chris Squire would happily have acknowledged the influence that Entwistle had on his playing early on, in terms of an aggressive treble-rich sound and an upfront role for bass guitar in rock music. In fact, I'm not sure if Chris Squire would have sounded quite the way he did without Entwistle's influence, although Squire probably absorbed other things from the likes of McCartney & Bruce as well. I think the answer to your question depends on what part of your own playing you are looking to develop by listening to them.

It seems I'm not the only one who struggles to answer this question, due to not liking the output of both bands! I adore The Who, and it was The Ox's bass playing that made me realise I'd picked the right instrument. I've been blown away by the playing and tone of various bassists since then, but nobody else has had such a formative effect.

Yes, on the other hand, I struggle with. I love a lot of prog-rock bands, I love the principles behind prog-rock, and I can see that Yes were doing some really exciting and challenging things musically...until they start singing, and I have to switch off. Which is a shame, because I can tell that Squire's tone and playing are excellent.

Entwistle shades it for me because of THAT sound he generated from the Alembic destroyer and the physicality of his finger style.

Despite strongly disliking pick playing on the bass Squire had an almost equally immense sound on the "Close to the edge" recording...phenomenal. He really was a monster.

Both bands had a significant influence on my formative years - however I prefer Yes's music to the Who's.

I love both of their technique and playing and both have influenced my own playing.

Im afraid I hate their tone - would describe as abysmal - but that is just my taste. However without it neither Yes nor The Who would sound the same. There were times with JE (live) I hadn't a clue what he was playing.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1454361012' post='2969033']
I don't particularly like either of them myself but ... so what.

But also, in most (or at least many) bands, you couldn't get away with playing like either of them.
[/quote]

This is true... I think I had a very very short period of Chris Squires... in the time it took to suss 'Roundabout' and them moved on.
And whilst I was in that plectrum stage , I'd found Glover who was waaay more funky and then there was Andy Fraser so
no turing back.