Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

Funny you should talk about wifes. I've asked mine if she'll sing on mine. I've written some lyrics that I got just from looking at the pic & I've come up with a cool wee melody too.
If she won't, then one of her friends are coming up tomorrow & she loves to sing too. :)

Ahh, downside. I don't have a decent mic. :(

Edited by xgsjx

well, it looks like i am first in this month, not sure if thats a good thing. :unsure:

[deleted link]

i couldnt think of anything at all for diving, so i focused on the pair of feet up in the top left of the pic. i figured that is where i would rather be in that pic so i tried to suss a tune that i would want to listen to whilst laying there. unfortunately i am not very good with cheerful tunes, so i dragged my mother in as a consultant as she is in possession of an incredibly sunny disposition. so thankfully i can share the blame too.

it sounds really quite rough in places, which i am not too happy about. but i am still trying to get my head around the EQ in the recording software and trying to level things out a bit. the bass sounds a bit like its recorded in a bathtub. i might get it sorted out before the deadline though, in which case i will replace it. any tips on sorting out the mixing would be appreciated.

Edited by christofloffer

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1454857173' post='2973565']
well, it looks like i am first in this month, not sure if thats a good thing. :unsure:

https://soundcloud.com/christofloffer/sunburnt-toes

i couldnt think of anything at all for diving, so i focused on the pair of feet up in the top left of the pic. i figured that is where i would rather be in that pic so i tried to suss a tune that i would want to listen to whilst laying there. unfortunately i am not very good with cheerful tunes, so i dragged my mother in as a consultant as she is in possession of an incredibly sunny disposition. so thankfully i can share the blame too.

it sounds really quite rough in places, which i am not too happy about. but i am still trying to get my head around the EQ in the recording software and trying to level things out a bit. the bass sounds a bit like its recorded in a bathtub. i might get it sorted out before the deadline though, in which case i will replace it. any tips on sorting out the mixing would be appreciated.
[/quote]
I'm hot on your tail. I plan to put mine together over the next few days.

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1454857173' post='2973565']...any tips on sorting out the mixing would be appreciated.
[/quote]

After a very quick 'once through' listen, I'd immodestly suggest that it may be advantageous to try 'panning' the instrument spread, so as to generate some separation. Not necessarily all-out left/right, but imagining a real-life stage, with the players up there; where on the stage would they be standing..? 'Traditionally', the drums, bass and lead vocals (if any...) are centred, but even that, I find, is often helped by a few points of separation. Testing a mix in mono is definitely recommended, however, to ensure final balance. Just a suggestion.
If I may, I'd also like to suggest that, from an arrangement point of view, one could consider 'dropping' an instrument or two during the performance, to give some 'relief' to a piece. A 'once-through' without the drums, for instance, and another without the 'lead' instrument, brings a bit of new life when they come back in. It's often said (and I'm as guilty as the next in disregarding...) that 'less is more'. It's true; all need not be played all the way through, all of the time.
Just sayin'. (Well, you [i]did [/i]ask..! :P )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454862232' post='2973649']
Just sayin'. (Well, you [i]did [/i]ask..! :P )
[/quote]

indeed i did, thanks. this is all good stuff to learn, its all trial and error for me so a nudge in the right direction here and there is good.

i am pretty bad for putting it all in. its usually because i insist on playing a track all the way through without any section replacements or corrections. i think it leaves things sounding a little more human than some tracks where i have edited things to eliminate every mistake but left things sounding a little hollow. of course once i have done a section for the 15th time i get possessive and find it hard to cut stuff back out. but its better have done a whole track to thin down than cut and paste sections. i am slowly getting better at that though.
i hadnt considered panning, i just tried it on the guitar. i had recorded it (electro acoustic) with a line in and a mic at the same time. thinking that i could mix in the scratching from the mic and the clean strums from the line in to strike a balance between the two. it sounds a bit better having them on either side though. less muddy, which lets the bass through better.
i am going to split the tracks a bit too and bring things in and out a bit, see how that pans out (no pun intended).

i get stuck on repetition with these shorter bits. all the tunes i have done before with multiple sections tend to break the time limit. hence trying to make it step up a bit halfway through. it does also tend to sound monotonous because i am not good at lead and nobody on this earth should be subjected to me singing. so i struggle to get things to stand out without sound busy.

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1454873534' post='2973821']
indeed i did, thanks...
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

I understand the 'play it right through' method, rather than dropping in and out, although there are ways to marry the two. I use Reaper, not Logic, but I expect there's a way of editing ('automating'...) the volume of a track..? It's quite possible to not 'cut', but rather reduce the volume, or bring it down to zero, then bring it back in later. One keeps the 'live take' feeling; there's no synchro problems, and it's easy enough to change one's mind or refine things; it's not destructive at all. In the same way, it's equally possible (and often done...), to play the part several times, and, using the same 'volume automation' technique, keep from each take the best parts.
A 'top tip', in some instances, is to raise the volume of a particular track just a bit (+3db..?), and for a short time (less than 1 second..?) when one wished to draw attention to it. The beginning of a chorus, or the introduction of a new instrument; whatever... A tiny raising and lowering of the levels attracts the ear, focussing attention to it. Just sayin'...

Edited by Dad3353

I'm still trying to get the Mrs to sing. I tried, but I really sound awful. Even with pitch correction!
It's my voices tone. I tried singing an octave up, which was marginally better, but still good enough to empty a venue.
Everything else has been done, so it might end up as an instrumental.

I’ve made a start! Earlier than usual for me. Bass, guitar and vocals recorded; drums and synth lines written in MIDI, so the foundations have been laid.

Started off aiming for a summery, lazy beach vibe. Ended up with something a touch more melancholy. I think the weather outside has crept into my musical subconscious, or something.

Currently sounding “a bit French” a la Daft Punk. Could very easily turn out altogether different once I get round to the actual mixing and production…

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1454927568' post='2974159']
I'm still trying to get the Mrs to sing. I tried, but I really sound awful. Even with pitch correction!
[/quote]

A possibly useful tip - or possibly not! Try singing completely flat - i.e. monotone - and then use a pitch shifter to ‘sing’ the melody by writing it in MIDI, just like you would a synth line. It will sound very unnatural but can equally sound very cool if you get it right (often more luck than judgement in my experience). I plan to use a vocoder and various pitch tricks myself this month, so I’m in that zone :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1454927568' post='2974159']
It's my voices tone. I tried singing an octave up, which was marginally better, but still good enough to empty a venue.
Everything else has been done, so it might end up as an instrumental.
[/quote]

That's more or less the exact situation I'm in. For some reason I decided to wrote the song in a key that I struggle to sing in as well. So I can't hit the notes, and even when I do my tone is horrible.

It's very frustrating - I might have a go at following Skols advice re midi correction.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1454935560' post='2974298']
Vocoder is a good shout. I'll give it a try.
[/quote]

Always worth experimenting with. I’m using one myself the month - so for anyone listening [i]“you heard it here first and xgsjx is definitely copying me, not t’other way around”[/i] :D

Of course I’m using it purely for artistic reasons, what with me having the voice of an angel [size=2](with chronic laryngitis).[/size]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1454940237' post='2974387']
Always worth experimenting with. I’m using one myself the month - so for anyone listening [i]“you heard it here first and xgsjx is definitely copying me, not t’other way around”[/i] :D

Of course I’m using it purely for artistic reasons, what with me having the voice of an angel [size=2](with chronic laryngitis).[/size]
[/quote]
I'm now gonna have to wait until you post yours first. :biggrin:

I had played with the Evoc Vocoder a couple of days ago, but opted not to. I'm gonna try a monotone vocal & try again. :D

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1454948359' post='2974501']
I had played with the Evoc Vocoder a couple of days ago, but opted not to. I'm gonna try a monotone vocal & try again.
[/quote]

The choice of synth that you use to modulate the vocoder effect also makes a big difference (I'm speaking here form using Reason, which allows any synth to be connected as the modulation source - I assume it's the same in Logic).

I find it often works best with with an analog type subtractive synth. But as always, experiment! :)

I've had some modest success using Vocaloids for singing. Not, maybe, for all styles, but there are several of 'em suitable for English-language (most are Far Oriental in their diction...), and they're quite easy enough to use. Here's an example done a couple of months ago. Worth a try..? Far better than anything my own organ could have come up with, whatever the treatment, that's for sure..! :blush:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/dad3353/calling-maria"]Calling Maria ...[/url]

I'll be away later on this month with family affairs, so I'll put this up now, as it won't be getting any better ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/scintillating-curved-air"]Scintillating Curved Air ...[/url]

I should be back for the voting; we'll see. It's going to be another tough contest, isn't it ..? :D

Quick question about Vocaloids. Do you need to buy the editor as well as the voice pack (Avianna for example) or can you just buy the voice pack and use that? The Vocaloid and Zero-G websites are a little vague about it.

Not that I should be spending any more money on virtual instruments though!

Failing that, any recommendations on vocoders that I can use in Reaper? The cheaper/free-er the better!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454954098' post='2974576']
I'll be away later on this month with family affairs, so I'll put this up now, as it won't be getting any better ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/scintillating-curved-air"]Scintillating Curved Air ...[/url]
[/quote]

That is very, very nice, Dad.
A very enjoyable listen and a very mature composition.

Edited by lowdown

I don't think the Mrs is up for singing, so here's what I've got so far...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/gxmix/start-of-a-party-g-vocals"]I[/url]'ve changed it... See post 59

Still toying with the vocoder idea. Especially for the bit in the middle.

Edited by xgsjx