Why become a member? ×

The German Hofner Violin/Viola Bass

Schnozzalee

Morning Guys,

I've been offered one of these at a very good 2nd hand price (below a grand) and it's the 'Mersey' model.

I like the tone of short scale EB3s and Harmony Basses, but I've shockingly never tried one of these.

There's so many mixed reviews on them as well, which doesn't help!! People discussing intonation, playability, finishing and regular neck re-sets etc.

Does anyone have experience of owning or playing one? I won't get a chance to try it out beforehand.

Not sure what a 'Mersey' model is - I'm guessing you mean a 'Cavern' model with the two pickups close together?

Much depends on exactly which bass this is. The 500/1 Violin has been in production (in Germany) in at least three quite separate periods: original 1957-1969ish, first re-issues in late 70s through to mid 80s, and modern re-issues late 90s onwards. That's all without dragging in genuine Hofners manufactured in Spain, Japan and China.

Most likely you're being offered a '62 Re-Issue' made in the last 20 years, but DO check!

If that's the case, then it will be in classic tobacco burst, with 2 x staple pickups, and a pearloid guard. Because of manufacturing costs in Germany, the price of these has soared over the last 10 years, which means that second-hand prices have held up very well.

These basses are handmade the old way in Germany, so essentially every one is a custom instrument. They are absolutely lovely pieces of work, and a delight to own and play. They are not copies of the old basses ... they ARE the old basses, so they sound exactly as they always did back in the 60s.

If that's what you're after, then you can buy with confidence.

What they are NOT is in any way modern, or particularly precision. Intonation will indeed be dodgy in some places. That's part of the charm - they all do that sir.

Playability is great. These basses are FUN. String spacing is tighter than on a Fender, which can be an issue for some. On the other hand, they're so lightweight that they feel as if they're filled with helium.

Regular neck resets? Yup, that's right, roughly every 30-40 years. How old are you?

:lol:

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1454171199' post='2967229']
Excellent - Thanks Happy Jack!

Yep, it's a 500/1 1962 Reissue from after 2000.

Sounds good to me - I just don't where to start with adjusting the bridge and I can't seem to find a Youtube video. I always have this Precision vs Alternative dilemma nowadays.

Thanks again
[/quote]

With these instruments, it's not really useful to even try to compare with other styles of bass, in my view. Think of classical guitars, even high-end ones. Is there an adjustable bridge..? No. It's not [i]that [/i]necessary. Same with Hofners. Many arch-top guitars are the same. Fixed bridges are not [i]that [/i]much of a problem, unless one has bat's ears or suffer from auditive OCD. Similarly with playing the things. Not the same physical sensation, not the same 'rapport' with the instrument. A solid-body electric violin is different to a traditional one. Double bass is not like electric. Not that one is [i]better [/i]than another; they're different enough to not bear comparison, that's all. Compare a Hofner to another Hofner (or similar builds...), but not to a Fender. It's pineapples and fridges (is that right..? No..? Chalk and cheese, then..? Apples and pears..? Yin and yang..? Whatever..!).
Just my tuppence-worth...

I had one of the Hofner Ignition violin models. Yes I know it's not in the same league as the 500/1, build wise, but somewhere in the same postcode as that ballpark.

Tiny, tiny, neck. So narrow. I bought it brand new and it came with some fairly horrid roundwounds on it. I swapped them out for some LaBella BB flats, which are made specifically for these basses. Superb pickups, very powerful. Takes everyone by surprise, because they think you've brought a toy along.

Only downside is a tendency to wobble your head when you sing high notes ;-)

I have had my '64 Violin bass since 1988, did loads of gigs with it & it never let me down once.The neck has never needed to be reset which has been nice, stopped using it back in 1998. I only get it out now and again still a great little bass though. These pictures were taken about 5 years ago IIRC.

[URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/luckman67/media/002-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t406/luckman67/002-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/luckman67/media/037.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t406/luckman67/037.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1454280399' post='2968268']
Are the strings spacings at the nut the same on all of them? The wider space between the A and D would annoy the hell out of me.
[/quote]

Usually the string spacing is even. That example may simply be unusual, or possibly it's just an optical illusion.

I'm more interested in the spacing at the bridge anyway.

:)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1454280399' post='2968268']
Are the strings spacings at the nut the same on all of them? The wider space between the A and D would annoy the hell out of me.
[/quote]

The nut slot for the A string was wide-end by the previous owner, for reasons known only to them. As the bass was original & 24 years old when I got it I didn't want to put a new nut on (and there were not many places you could get Hofner spares),so I just put a small wedge of paper in there or a bit of a match stick if I remember. The bass always held it's tuning and was always nice to play.

Edited by luckman67