Why become a member? ×

What defines a "cool" bass to you?

Cameronj279

The grass is always greener on the other side.....for this reason i normally see most basses 6 string and under as pretty cool.

Of course as soon as i buy one they become way less cool but i hope that somebody with the same affliction as i covets my bass as i covet their.

😆

As mentioned previously cool is in the eye of the beholder. But in this beholder:

Any fender bass that is road worn by the hands of the player. (Cool points only begin once the player-bass relationship is 15 years old though)
Danelectro basses- Dano's have a certain coolness, even the ugly longhorn is still cool.
A budget/beginner instrument that still lives with its original owner and sits alongside it's more expensive cousins.
Any home made bass

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1454164296' post='2967117']
I'll stick my neck out and say that no coffee table/exotic topped bass can be cool. Beautiful, elegant, masterpiece maybe, but cool? No.
[/quote]

Are spalted tops coffee table? If so, I disagree. If they are not, then I'd better go back and edit my post, as I completely agree on the exotics!

I like a paddle shaped headstock, pickups with a ramp, preferably active electronics and I like gadgets too so something innovative excites me. Although I don't really like the look of fanned frets.

Sonically I like a well defined clear sound with a bit of top end clank and a crisp slap sound. Low tension strings.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1454171408' post='2967232']
Low tension, like me! And my mum says I'm cool
[/quote]

Now [b]that[/b] was a philosophically deep point. Low tension people are [b]the[/b] cool people, so maybe I've been wrong all these decades, and low tension strings are in fact [b]the[/b] cool strings.
If that then is true, then probably well-designed basses are cool anyway (yay!), and the regular sunburst P is not (yay!).

Ped, you's bin shooked my world! :o

It's not cool to have to try too hard, or to need complex and expensive kit to get a good sound, so a simple, classic bass is cool.
However, it's also not cool to be the same as everyone else, and it's cool to be an early adopter of new things or a connoisseur of the rare and exotic, so a simple, classic bass is uncool, and a unique and unusual bass is cool.
I hope that helps.

Edited by JoeEvans

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1454142795' post='2966800']
Although I can't define it, the look of a bass is very important to me. If I don't like the look of a bass, I won't enjoy playing it. Eg, I don't like the look of a Status King Bass (too blocky) but I do like the look of a Ritter.
[/quote]

It's very important to me too. I have several basses that I think look cool but others wouldn't.All the classics look cool to me.

My Gibson Gold Top Les Paul bass and my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1454173813' post='2967259']
It's not cool to have to try too hard, or to need complex and expensive kit to get a good sound, so a simple, classic bass is cool.
However, it's also not cool to be the same as everyone else, and it's cool to be an early adopter of new things or a connoisseur of the rare and exotic, so a simple, classic bass is uncool, and a unique and unusual bass is cool.
I hope that helps.
[/quote]

:lol: Classic!
I like you're thinking.
I also like your thinking.

[quote name='Sausages' timestamp='1454175529' post='2967292']
I have to say that I think the sound of a Jazz bass is cool. I don't tend to fetishise basses for their looks. As others have said; if it sounds good and is played well, it's cool.
[/quote]

Looks and name brand are important to me as Well as playability and sound.

I like the classic look of my Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 as much as my German made Hofner limited edition Club Bass.

Big picture, if a bass has proper intonation, and good action your 99% of the way there.

Blue