Why become a member? ×

What defines a "cool" bass to you?

Cameronj279

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1454120282' post='2966745']
A bass is not cool. The person playing it is or is not cool. Cool does not describe inanimate objects.
[/quote]

Ah yes. Language is unchanging.

When you drink and need transport do you still arrange to be conveyed by a taximetered cabriolet?

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1454314564' post='2968401']
I'm always intrigued by terms such as 'Joe Public' and 'Hoi Polloi', etc. It implies that the speaker is somehow superior to the general population and I tend to think that if one needs to makes such an assertion, then it probably isn't true.
[/quote]

Just in case my post was misconstrued, I was using 'Joe Public' sarcastically in reposnse to its original use, for the sake of playing devils advocate.

Personally, I think people should worry more about buying a bass they DO like than wasting their time arguing and getting hung up making lists about stuff that is featured on a bass that they dislike and therefore have no intention of ever buying as a result. Life's too short :-)

Buy what you like and then live and let live!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1454354851' post='2968938']
Ooh touched a nerve? Gone for the old 'no intention of buying' line which I'm afraid you are wrong about, I already own and or would buy basses featured in my list but I'm man enough to admit that those things are not 'cool'.
[/quote]

No nerve touched at all. If something as petty as that upset me, an Internet forum wouldn't be the place I'd choose to come ;-) I just put that response because Basschat is text and it's difficult to convey sarcasm at times, so just wanted to make it clear I was just having a laugh.

As for you buying basses you think are 'uncool' but like anyway, that's 'cool'. Like I said, live and let live. It's your money, not mine!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1454354851' post='2968938']
I already own and or would buy basses featured in my list but I'm man enough to admit that those things are not 'cool'.
[/quote]

I think your list only had about 3 things on it that I didn't find cool. Anything with a signature on it, high up basses and single cuts. Saying that. One of my basses is a signature but I got it mainly as it sounds damn good and I do have my bass fairly high up but mainly since its just comfiest that way. Holding basses really low looks even more daft to me.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1454356049' post='2968956']

No nerve touched at all. If something as petty as that upset me, an Internet forum wouldn't be the place I'd choose to come ;-) I just put that response because Basschat is text and it's difficult to convey sarcasm at times, so just wanted to make it clear I was just having a laugh.

As for you buying basses you think are 'uncool' but like anyway, that's 'cool'. Like I said, live and let live. It's your money, not mine!
[/quote]

Fair enough :-)

I don't think everything I buy is cool even in my eyes, sometimes it's what works or is available or within budget, goes for anything from clothes to cars etc.

I don't like six string basses but if I was sight reading in a theatre every night I'd buy one, in no way would I think the audience at the Tickled Trout would think it (or I) was cool compared to a guy with a beat up P bass, you can think the whale hump with LEDs is cool but it just isn't.

As others have said, there are things that are beautiful but not cool. "Coffee table" wood facings on your bass is one.

But things like singlecut horns that go up to the 12th fret, I don't get it, but if I'm beating the crap out of the 14th fret E on the D string sometimes I want to grip it, thumb over board like I'm wielding a bat.

Dual headed fretless/fretted, not cool.

But at the end of the day, cool is what you do with it. If you sit there gently playing Barry Manilow stuff then automatically nothing you're doing is cool.

Edited by keefbaker

I don't really have a set style of bass that I like.. I like classic designs as much as I like coffee table basses :) There are a few features that instantly put me off a bass though: Single cuts, gold hardware, tort pickguards or signature basses spring to mind.

Although I have seen basses with gold hardware, or tort pickguards that I thought looked nice... the same is yet to happen with a single cut design though.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1454511944' post='2970369']
I don't really have a set style of bass that I like.. I like classic designs as much as I like coffee table basses :) There are a few features that instantly put me off a bass though: Single cuts, gold hardware, tort pickguards or signature basses spring to mind.

Although I have seen basses with gold hardware, or tort pickguards that I thought looked nice... the same is yet to happen with a single cut design though.
[/quote]

I'm quite weird in the sense that I don't much like the shape of a jazz bass, gold hardware or basses that are painted but I have a huge soft spot for a white Jazz with gold hardware.

This seems like a good opportunity to quote the late Terry Pratchett from one of his books:

[b] “The Monks of Cool, whose tiny and exclusive monastery is hidden in a really cool and laid-back valley in the lower Ramtops, have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select.”[/b]

So from this I conclude that the coolest bass is the one that I am playing at any given point in time :yarr:

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1454115883' post='2966712']
A black trans-matte Spector with black hardware.

Forget about it.
[/quote]

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1454534147' post='2970681']
So from this I conclude that the coolest bass is the one that I am playing at any given point in time :yarr:
[/quote]

Exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think my Peterbuilt is the definition of cool. B)

[URL=http://s5.photobucket.com/user/John_RSC/media/Bas/10404299_619636051401978_3336519895841716467_n_zpsgvhy2qzu.jpg.html][IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/John_RSC/Bas/10404299_619636051401978_3336519895841716467_n_zpsgvhy2qzu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1454534147' post='2970681']
This seems like a good opportunity to quote the late Terry Pratchett from one of his books:

[b] “The Monks of Cool, whose tiny and exclusive monastery is hidden in a really cool and laid-back valley in the lower Ramtops, have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select.”[/b]

[/quote]

See post 67.

To me this is a bit like asking which circe is most round. I don't think bass is cool to non bass players. There' are basses that look nice, and those that don't. None are cool. I Like PBs, because they are functional. I dont think they look particularly good. But they look better without tort. And to the subject of "depends who is playing" I give you the one and only Bootsy. Cool basslines, uncool costumes, very ugly basses.

One thing I think makes a cool bass is the question will it look good when it's old? and genuinely road worn.
Simple classic designs like fenders etc will suit this more than others.

To me a bass must be able to look right when it's older.

This is very very subjective.

One thing that does make a cool bass is if it's associated with a famous player or associated with a particular style of music and been used on so many recordings. I own a very nice USA fender p bass I don't think there the best basses in the world but they look good when old, many famous players and been used on many great recordings and though simple they cover a lot of ground. Too me they are very cool.

Another thing to consider for me is the location made, there are many great basses made in Asia etc etc but although they can be as good and much better even. They don't have as much as a cool factor there are exeptions of course but certainly instruments made in the manufactures original home location carry more respect than there overseas factory. Again many exceptions to this but I'm generalising.