Why become a member? ×

What defines a "cool" bass to you?

Cameronj279

Over the few years I've been a member on here I've saw quite a lot of people say things like "Fenders are the only cool basses" or '5+ strings aren't cool' and things to that effect.

My personal thoughts on it are that it depends who is playing (and more importantly how they are playing it). I know that If I'm at a gig and someone is playing something other than a Fender J or P bass I find it a bit of a breath of fresh air seeing/hearing something different than usual. I can't say I find an instrument itself cool but I certainly enjoy when I can see someone play something out of the ordinary.

Basically I'm curious about the general thoughts regarding 'cool' basses on here.

Also. What makes you find certain basses 'cool'?

Cameron

Edited by Cameronj279

Cool is a relative thing. One person's cool is anathema to someone else. I don't see anything cool in Fender P bass, but that's just me.

I saw this photo that a friend had posted on Facebook easier, and I thought, wow that's cool.

[attachment=210987:12661982_1636103799986792_6457187210718788957_n.jpg]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, so basses with plastic scratch-plates, solid paint finishes or maple fret-boards leave me cold, but for others, clearly these things are the essence of cool.

Plenty of visible wood-grain and black hardware are where it's at for me - but that's just me. :P

There's no definitive answer for me, my tastes are in constant flux.

As an example, for years I found Rickenbacker 4001s & 4003s to be unspeakinkaby ugly, then one day I saw one in darkest blue & fell instantly,inexplicably, head over heels. If I'd had the funds I'd have bought it on the spot, about 30 seconds after seeing it, probably without even trying it out.

I also used to be pretty indifferent towards Jazz basses. Now I own 2 & think its generally just about the sexiest shape around.

My love is fickle.

Edited by Cato

What is "cool" changes over time in terms of the make of bass but colour has a lot to do with it for me. I don't like green basses and would never consider buying one no matter how great they might sound/play. Equally buying a relic bass to me is uncool. I want a bass to earn its wear and tear.

Ultimately its in the eyes of the beholder.

With bass guitars I'm a bit odd - love traditional shapes (P,J,EB etc.) and then sometimes see something completely different (crazy, over the top custom, coffee table top type) and love it. In my book Relics are the only things that cannot be cool.

Double basses are always cool!

A cool bass is a bass that is so stubbornly, nauseatingly traditional and boring that it brings me to the point of puking and near suicide.
Thus, sadly, a regular sunburst P is cool.

I'd like to think that original designs with an original sound and maybe original colours are cool, but they aren't.
The cricket bats, Bongos and Stash Stainlesses respond to people's need for something that can comfort us and reassure us it's really, really, really not a regular sunburst P.

That is not a cool thing to do.

I just far prefer them.
:)

Edited by BassTractor