Why become a member? ×

5 string cons

thegummy

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1454239440' post='2967700']

Thanks for the link, it's swung me back to undecided when I was heading in the direction of the 5
[/quote]

At the end of the day everyone here (me included) could probably get better results by just learning to play the instrument better, however many strings you prefer. Jamerson used 4, sounded great, Anthony Jackson uses 6, also sounds great. The reason they both sound awesome? Because they are masters of their instruments.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1454145858' post='2966834']
I don't see the point of starting on a 4 if you intend to move to 5. That's likely to be more confusing.

It's as weird as starting on a tenor sax when you intend to move to an alto. In fact it's more weird as a 5 will do everything a 4 can, rather than the limits of the woodwind range.

Get the one you intend to keep going with.
[/quote]

Totally agree. One of my students went and bought a 6 string as his first bass. He's a big Dream Theater fan.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1454255141' post='2967869']
At the end of the day everyone here (me included) could probably get better results by just learning to play the instrument better, however many strings you prefer. Jamerson used 4, sounded great, Anthony Jackson uses 6, also sounds great. The reason they both sound awesome? Because they are masters of their instruments.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this. No amount of pedals or new amps will make any difference if your playing is let down by your inabilities.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1454246314' post='2967785']
I'm not a fan of 5'ers

As mentioned above the extra width on the neck lessens playability and I think the tone of a B string is useless!!

Sounds like a crocodile belching.

It's annoying if you're trying to cover a song by someone using a 5'er, but you're fine if you can pass with a D-Tuner.
[/quote]

I've never heard a crocodile belch, so I can't comment on that.

The tone of the notes on my B string is exactly the same as the tone on my other strings, which is great.

How much wider is a 5 string neck than a 4 string ? Maybe a centimetre at the most. I don't personally see that as having any real detrimental effect on the playability of a bass.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1454246314' post='2967785']

Sounds like a crocodile belching.

[/quote]

Love it! I'm going to use that.

I know it's all personal preference, but I wonder if you've had the chance to try a higher-end instrument?

I'd more or less given up on 5ers, for reasons like yours. Then I had a go on a really classy Warwick 5 string at a Bass Bash and then it all made sense. As I, and others, have said earlier you probably need to be more selective and prepared to pay more to get a reasonable 5 stringer.

Appreciate all the advice.

I was in the guitar shop today and they didn't have the Yamaha BBs so I tried a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz in 5 and 4 string versions.

First thing that stood out was how much heavier the 5 was. Couldn't believe the difference. I think it must have also been a different material because it really was so much heavier.

Neck was also much wider.

Main thing I found was that the notes lower than E didn't sound to my taste which is pretty much what I was looking to find out so I'm going to go with a 4.

Something that surprised me was how nice the Squier Jazz bass is. I had a Squier guitar for a long time as a kid and it isn't so good but this bass was decent.

Shame nowhere around here has the Yamaha BB in stock, I'll need to buy blindly online if I'm going for that.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1454255891' post='2967884']
Exactly, the guy with a crap technique at muting the B string mentioned earlier would still have a crap technique muting an E on a 4 string!
[/quote]

On the face of it this is true - but as someone who doesn't play 5 string 100% of the time, resonating B string is a far bigger issue for me and requires definite concentration to mute it all the time - it can sound like the undertone of bag pipes otherwise (something Which doesn't happen to me on a 4 string bass).

So if you're in the habit of leaning your thumb on the pick up you will most likely have to change to leaning against the B string on a 5.

This is why I suggest not swapping back and forth between 4's and 5's while you're getting your 5 string technique together.

The size of the neck and weight of the bass is a problem? I'd say that sounds like the OP isn't ready for a 5 string bass yet.You buy a 5 because of the sound, tone and flexibility. You can get 8lb 5's but they'll cost more.

Never mind there are a lot of good 4's out there.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1454923844' post='2974108']
This is why I suggest not swapping back and forth between 4's and 5's while you're getting your 5 string technique together.

The size of the neck and weight of the bass is a problem? I'd say that sounds like the OP isn't ready for a 5 string bass yet.You buy a 5 because of the sound, tone and flexibility. You can get 8lb 5's but they'll cost more.

Never mind there are a lot of good 4's out there.
[/quote]

The size and weight weren't a problem, I was just surprised how much of a difference there was.

Like I said, the reason I'm going for 4 is because I didn't like the tones from the lower notes.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1454975450' post='2974797']
I think there is an advantage. You can play higher up the neck but still get those low notes, but the finger stretch is a lot less. When you are adapting from 25inch scale to 34 inch the fret spacing at the head end of the neck can feel an uncomfortably long stretch.
[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with this- it sounds different and not always in a good way. I'd say get used to playing down in half/first position, as that's "where the money is". Playing everything from the 5th fret up is a bit of a cheat.

Glad the OP has made what sounds like a sound decision. I hope you're happy with your bass!

Edited by Jazzjames

I was a guitard and changed to bass. Played a few different 4s squire, Westone, then went to a Washburn 5. It wasn't a dear one ( Taurus 5) but it was neck through. It played like a dream out of the box but I never quite got a 5.

I sold it and bought an Aerodyne Jass and was at home. I think a Washburn Taurus 4 would have done just as well though. It was not the "thumb over the neck" thing with me as I always have my thumb in the right position. Maybe I was too old to change.

Oh and about 5 & 6 strings looking cool, a 5 looks cool but if I want a cool 6 it's a Strat, Tele or Les Paul.

Thinking about it my Aerodyne looks likes Strat so maybe I am a Guitard at heart!

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1454203191' post='2967549']5/6 string basses may also be more "suggestive' towards floating thumb, as opposed to fixed thumb, right hand techniques (again, muting, and getting consistency of tone) - assuming it's fingerstyle of course![/quote]

Muting was my problem with 5 strings. I found floating thumb pretty much essential.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1455048262' post='2975469']
I respectfully disagree with this- it sounds different and not always in a good way. I'd say get used to playing down in half/first position, as that's "where the money is". Playing everything from the 5th fret up is a bit of a cheat.

Glad the OP has made what sounds like a sound decision. I hope you're happy with your bass!
[/quote]

I play 90% of the time from the 5th fret upwards. I just find it easier when I'm reading or playing off an unfamiliar lead sheet, less position shifts.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1455199845' post='2976953']

I play 90% of the time from the 5th fret upwards. I just find it easier when I'm reading or playing off an unfamiliar lead sheet, less position shifts.
[/quote]

Whatever works for you.

I was just simply pointing out that the sound is not the same, depending on where you play it on the instrument- One should play a line higher up the neck on lower strings for the reason of sound, not because they haven't got it together down in first position. But hey, this is only my opinion.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1455210256' post='2977118']
Whatever works for you.

I was just simply pointing out that the sound is not the same, depending on where you play it on the instrument- One should play a line higher up the neck on lower strings for the reason of sound, not because they haven't got it together down in first position. But hey, this is only my opinion.
[/quote]

Although im much more used to playing 4 strings, i can play a 5 string almost as well. I do get the idea of playing around at the 5th fret, less hand movement etc, but to my ears it just doesn't sound the same as playing on the E sting as if it were a 4 string bass most of the time. Maybe its the basses ive played, but i cant get that growl and energy im used to by playing the B string around the 5th fret.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1455279877' post='2977719']
Although im much more used to playing 4 strings, i can play a 5 string almost as well. I do get the idea of playing around at the 5th fret, less hand movement etc, but to my ears it just doesn't sound the same as playing on the E sting as if it were a 4 string bass most of the time. Maybe its the basses ive played, but i cant get that growl and energy im used to by playing the B string around the 5th fret.
[/quote]

No, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In one of our medleys we go back and forth from No Woman No Cry into So Lonely a couple of times, same C, G, A, F progression on both, however I play the Bob Marley part starting on the C at the eighth fret of the E string, down to the G on the eighth fret of the B, and The police parts starting on the C third fret of the A string. The contrast in tones helps to differentiate between the two songs, making the whole thing sound better IMO