Why become a member? ×

Loss of highs plugging into effects return/power amp in. help!

taha_never

when i plug my external preamp right into the effects return on my rumble 60 v.1 i lose a huge amount of highs even with the ultra Hi engaged on the pre. is it normal?
setup: passive P > tube preamp (i have no specs on this unit except it has a 1/4 mono output) > rumble 60's return.
cheers

Edited by Yawn_Blah

Can you tell us much about the preamp, even just which valves it uses and what controls it has? Depending on the circuit it might be necessary to add an extra active stage to the preamp to lower the output impedance. A good tech would be able to do this with a high voltage FET if the power supply and chassis space can't support another valve, similar to the circuits often used to drive effects loops.

[quote name='Yawn_Blah' timestamp='1454049351' post='2965723']
thanks a lot now i have a picture of what's happening. search results too technical for a noob so i need you guys to confirm that i can ask a tech to reduce the output impedance on the pre?
[/quote]That's not something you can do with a screwdriver. I don't see an output transformer, so my guess is that it was designed to operate like a pedal into the bass amp input, rather than driving a power amp. One would have to see the specs to be sure, but if it works OK that way it's a safe assumption that's the case.

yes Bill thanks for the consultation, it sounds ok into the amp's input but not into the power amp return.
thanks dincz for the input, yes that's an op-amp which were suspected by other chaps on another thread about it causing a lot of white noise.

so what is the solution to have a suitable output to drive the power amp on my rumble 60 (18k ohm return) without a problem?

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1454086409' post='2966356']
It's probably time for a schematic and/or a tech.
[/quote] i don't have the schematics for it and the builder is out of my reach. :( i have to look for a tech. but thanks for helping me with pointing out the problem source. Cheers

[quote name='Yawn_Blah' timestamp='1454130940' post='2966764']
does it make sense to use a DI between the pre and rumble's return?
[/quote]

If you plug the preamp output into an active DI and use the XLR output via an XLR-jack cable, that may work. It would at least allow you to identify whether this is an impedance issue.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1454143551' post='2966802']
If you plug the preamp output into an active DI and use the XLR output via an XLR-jack cable, that may work. It would at least allow you to identify whether this is an impedance issue.
[/quote] so the passive ones are not effective for my situation? i'm having a good deal on a fender mini DI right now!

Guest bassman7755

If you've got to the point where your spending money on this I'd honestly consider taking a punt on something like the [url="http://www.juno.co.uk/products/behringer-bdi21-v-tone-bass-driver-di/493811-01//?currency=GBP&flt=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA27G1BRCEopST9M39gykSJADQyqAlZntZspi0GzuWd5i_X1VjhEJ6QT_wmPupTgcm9MxN0hoCdcvw_wcB"]Behringer DBI[/url] - £25 for something that will on its own probably give you as good (possibly even better) a sound as your preamp.

Edited by bassman7755