Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM 800 or TC BH800 or something in the £400-£500 bracket. Now NAD

lowhand_mike

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1458059292' post='3004275']
In comparison I tried out the Aguilar Tonehammer (which I currently use) with the new Aguilar SL410 and wasn`t that fussed about it. Just kept thinking how much I preferred the Ashdown rig.
[/quote]

That is VERY interesting... Anyone know if there are any of the pre-E RM800s still going cheap anywhere?

I had a good look at the New Rootmaster cabs the other day in my local PMT and first off they look great but I couldn't get over how light the new 210 and 115 cabs are but also stunning quality and love the new bar handle design too. Very nicely priced too considering horn with 3 way switch and speakon/Jack combi connectors aswell. Well done Ashdown, I will be buying 2 x 210s I reckon

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1458074297' post='3004509']
That is VERY interesting... Anyone know if there are any of the pre-E RM800s still going cheap anywhere?
[/quote]

Definitely worth having a scout round - I picked one up in mint condition as an ex-demo clearance offer over the weekend because it looked like a bit of a bargain (and I remembered reading a certain 9/10 review on here) so they're potentially still out there.

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1458077542' post='3004575']
I had a good look at the New Rootmaster cabs the other day in my local PMT and first off they look great but I couldn't get over how light the new 210 and 115 cabs are but also stunning quality and love the new bar handle design too. Very nicely priced too considering horn with 3 way switch and speakon/Jack combi connectors aswell. Well done Ashdown, I will be buying 2 x 210s I reckon
[/quote]

Yep, the old RM210 cab was light but the new one is throwable! (Is that a word?) I can't comment on their sound though as didn't get a chance to make any noise with them at the Bass Show this last weekend.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1458074297' post='3004509']
[/quote]

just checked the place i got mine and they havent got any left,
gear4music, pmt and dolphin have got them in stock but not many but they are only 50quid cheaper than the evos, i got mine for silly money though so they dont seem that cheap but still worth it i reckon.

Edited by lowhand_mike

The RM-800 is a bloody good little head. Just toured with one and it held up to two sets a night with no issues (I shared my bass rig with the headlining band). Lots of good tone shaping, plenty of power and there's a decent amount of grunt there if you need it. The new version looks even better - the only criticisms I could have levelled at the old model was the lack of a mute switch and switches for the compressor and octaver, and the new one appears to have addressed two of these (still no switch for the octaver though). For the price it goes for, I don't think it can be beat.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1458218229' post='3005676']
Whats the difference in the 'evo' model then? Doesn't seem that they were around for long before they became 'evo'?
[/quote]

Just gentle upgrades, really. The EVO ones have dual inputs (active/passive), two Speakon outputs, switchable compressor and a mute switch.

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1458218422' post='3005683']
Just gentle upgrades, really. The EVO ones have dual inputs (active/passive), two Speakon outputs, switchable compressor and a mute switch.
[/quote]

i actually prefer the single input and use the gain, i always plugged into the passive input on my mag even though my basses are active, found the pad too much. the mute is a nice touch and i have the compressor always on so a switch seems a bit point less. Suppose they had to upgrade it somehow but i think they hit the nail on the head first time round

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1458300142' post='3006353']

i actually prefer the single input and use the gain, i always plugged into the passive input on my mag even though my basses are active, found the pad too much. the mute is a nice touch and i have the compressor always on so a switch seems a bit point less. Suppose they had to upgrade it somehow but i think they hit the nail on the head first time round
[/quote]

The one thing I wish the original had was the second Speakon socket. All other things I can take or leave really as you say :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1458304658' post='3006405']
The one thing I wish the original had was the second Speakon socket. All other things I can take or leave really as you say :)
[/quote]
yeah that is true, though i spoke to OBBM about this and can make up a little box that fixes the issue though ashdown cabs can be daisy chained to get 4ohm so its not really a problem as long as you dont mind using speakon for one cab and jack to the other (really should use punctuation)

well i got a run out at the weekend at a gig, handled it comfortably, gain set to bass's input leveleq'd and volume set at around 11 o'clock (any more was just too loud for the smallish room), didnt even get warm. drive worked really well through the footswitch and even added the sub occasionally.
All in all an excellent very powerfull amp even at 8ohms well chuffed

• 4 weeks later...