Why become a member? ×

Nothing

thebassist

The thing is if you don't put the age thing, you'll get loads of replies saying "I'm a young 43" or "I don't look my age". Most the time, these sort of ads are kids really wanting to have a go at getting signed etc. etc. so they're thinking about image (which does matter) and you don't want to be the old boy standing out in the crowd looking like a Dad who wandered into his son & friends prom photo.

If they REALLY want to have a go at 'making it' then they would also probably be willing to give up their jobs - you can't really do that when you have a wife/kids/house to pay for.

This book, What with Being Stone Deaf and Everything by David Hallamshire, is a spot on swipe at everything young bands do. I got given it in 1989 and it is just as funny today. The observations are perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Being-Stone-Deaf-Everything/dp/0852237383

One example from it, on different instruments. Tambourine: The tambourine is not a musical instrument. There is nothing whatsoever musical about a tambourine. This is why it is safe in the lead singer's hands.

I'm not knocking anyone - it was more a laugh at myself really. If you have a lot of mates who play, go to music college or live in a city with a lot of people then I reckon you've got a decent chance of putting a band together. And I suppose the internet helps nowadays - the net was only just starting when I was 16 and I lived in rural Dorset.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1453999481' post='2965221']
If they REALLY want to have a go at 'making it' then they would also probably be willing to give up their jobs - you can't really do that when you have a wife/kids/house to pay for.
[/quote]

But there's also a lot of people who have come out the other side of financial and family responsibilities. They are in their 50s with the mortgage paid off, the kids if they had any left home etc. Many will have taken "early" retirement or be self-employed and a lot more flexible about taking time out of work to do music.

A lot of older musicians are still young at heart or more realistically have really ever grown up and just went through a phase of pretending to be a responsible adult. I know I did.

My current band are all in their 20s except for me...

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1454000375' post='2965245']
But there's also a lot of people who have come out the other side of financial and family responsibilities. They are in their 50s with the mortgage paid off, the kids if they had any left home etc. Many will have taken "early" retirement or be self-employed and a lot more flexible about taking time out of work to do music.

A lot of older musicians are still young at heart or more realistically have really ever grown up and just went through a phase at preventing to be a responsible adults. I know I did.

My current band are all in their 20s except for me...
[/quote]

The picture on your profile rules!

i must admit the young bands looking for experience and people who "want to take it all the way" make me laugh, mainly because we were all like that once.

i hate that "im 43, but im a young 43".... just say you are 43 its not like it's a crime. i dont respond to people like that.
i find even when you put ages up you still get people apply who are outside them.

i don't advertise anymore.........

Sorry what's the problem with the ads? A bunch of young people don't want some old guy hanging out at their rehearsals and frankly it'd be weird if some old guy wanted to spend his spare time with a bunch of kids - I know I certainly wouldn't want to join a band with a group of teenagers (from a 4/5 piece rock band perspective, probably be different if it were larger groups of mixed age) - it's bad enough being in a band of roughly the same age people now but with hugely varying salaries.

People are at different stages of their lives, nothing wrong with being specific about what you want.

Edited by Lw.

I'm still in my 40s and have peeps older and younger than me in the bands and "proper" work that i do. The one constant is that i am always the most immature in any situation. Age is a state of mind. My mother in law married an older guy and aged 20 years overnight. I married her young foxy daughter which might help keep me young.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1454000942' post='2965255']
Sorry what's the problem with the ads? A bunch of young people don't want some old guy hanging out at their rehearsals and frankly it'd be weird if some old guy wanted to spend his spare time with a bunch of kids
[/quote]

I don't think anyone has criticised the ads...?

You didn't and, even if you did, don't worry about it. It's a discussion forum, it's ok for people to experience thoughts which conflict with their own. Could you put up the gist of the original post, as someone in their 40's now playing in a band which contains a couple of young 'uns I'd be interested to see what started this :)

Edited by Doctor J