Why become a member? ×

Alternative composition challenge idea

Twincam

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1453999571' post='2965227']
Yeah I can see the attraction of it being freeform, I guess it would remove any barriers to using pieces you had already come up with and wanted to share.

I just think it'll be difficult to judge the submissions against each other without some kind of common denominator.
[/quote]

Don't think of it in terms of judging more in terms of people think for what ever reason something sounds pleasant. Which is judging lol but don't think of it as judgmental against something. I guess the common denominator is at its roots bass guitar little noodling, ditties, riffs what ever you want to call it and does it sound more pleasant or fun or interesting than another. It would be up to the individual totally on how they see it.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1454001306' post='2965265']
so basically you mean a simple post that works like this

A - Hey guys, i wrote a riff, what do you think?
B - yeah i like it, you should make a whole song
A - thanks man I will
C - hey heres mine.

a sharing of ideas rather than competing against each other?
[/quote]

Yes it can be and no as it can be a mindless noodle that is going nowhere. And it being maybe voted on competition style instead of just a thread for little bits of tunes etc. Or if not voted on then yes rather as you suggested.

I personally would rather it be a little competitive but in a relaxed way, but if voted it for comments so be it. I'm not sure a sharing of ideas is the best way to put it, however I would have no worries about that happening. Just as long as it's in the most simple of formats for people to take part in.

maybe rather than a new competition, a new section would be better? something like "the noodle bar" where people can roll around ideas and bounce off each other. no need to worry about skill levels, recording standard or entering a competition. just somewhere that people would be comfortable to put up some ideas and get some feedback. kind of like a jam, but where you dont have people moaning about noise or having to get home soon.

if its a competition then i really do think that a criteria would be best as it focuses things. even a broad one like, jazz month or 80's month etc. just picking a solo clean bass track over another with nothing to judge it by would be difficult.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1454016493' post='2965579']
I'm happy for it to be used if that's what the people want. :D
[/quote]
I showed the first page of the thread up to your post to the Mrs last night & she was in kinks for a good 10 mins! :)
So much so, that she said she's gonna enter too (& she's never played the bass).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1454018014' post='2965597']
I showed the first page of the thread up to your post to the Mrs last night & she was in kinks for a good 10 mins! :)
So much so, that she said she's gonna enter too (& she's never played the bass).
[/quote]

Inspired by Mrs xgsix, Mrs C has said she will also enter the "Play any old sh*te challenge" should it come to life... and she's never played the bass either, or any other musical instrument.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1454050671' post='2965729']
Inspired by Mrs xgsix, Mrs C has said she will also enter the "Play any old sh*te challenge" should it come to life... and she's never played the bass either, or any other musical instrument.
[/quote]
This could be a really good thing, get the Mrs appreciating bass & learning an instrument too. :D

Ok, so… I’ve been pondering this further since yesterday.

The poll thus far doesn’t indicate an overwhelming enthusiasm for the idea. But then we’re not inundated with interest in the monthly Composition Challenge either. So I don’t want to make a snap decision just yet.

I’m still struggling with a few things. [b]Firstly[/b], what the source of ‘inspiration’ might be if it’s going to work as some sort of challenge?[list]
[*]A picture? It’ll just become the “poor cousin” to the regular Composition Challenge.
[*]A genre? Might work… but people may just wait until their preferred genre comes around [i](Scottish Pirate Metal, anyone?).[/i]
[*]A video? Might be a little too esoteric for something that is meant to be ‘quick and easy’.
[/list]
As a solution it could perhaps just be a ‘free for all’. Play whatever you like, in whatever style you like, for no more than 60 seconds. Yes, that would make it unfocussed and open to people just sticking to their preferred genres/styles (as both participants and voters). The latter issue is already something we deal with in the regular Composition Challenge - I’m sure some people choose not to vote for certain tracks because they don’t like the genre of music in question. That’s unavoidable. Perfectly normal.

The issue of it being unfocussed… well, maybe that’s part of the appeal? Just record what you think is a catchy/interesting/whatever bassline and throw it out there.

[b]Secondly[/b], will this be sufficiently interesting for people to want to listen to? A selection of random baselines arguably has less appeal than a collection of compositions - and we already struggle to get people interested in those.

[b]Thirdly[/b]... and this is perhaps my main concern... if we go ahead with the idea and it proves unpopular, then we may find ourselves ‘pestering’ the BC community to get involved in [i]another[/i] challenge-type activity, which might end up being detrimental to the one music challenge we have that works (albeit modestly). I don't want to "rob Peter to pay Paul", so to speak.

Tricky!

Further thoughts very welcome :)

Edited by Skol303

Praps what we need is various sub-categories in the Monthly Compo Compo...
So there could be "best solo bass noodle", or "Best instrumental" or "best incoherent racket" or "best production" or "overall best song of the month ever".
There could be an entertainingly complex poll attached, and a prize of absolutely nowt apart from the overall winner, who'd get to choose the photo, or (and here's the rub), [i]written theme [/i]for the next challenge.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1454072265' post='2966092']
Praps what we need is various sub-categories in the Monthly Compo Compo...
So there could be "best solo bass noodle", or "Best instrumental" or "best incoherent racket" or "best production" or "overall best song of the month ever".
There could be an entertainingly complex poll attached, and a prize of absolutely nowt apart from the overall winner, who'd get to choose the photo, or (and here's the rub), [i]written theme [/i]for the next challenge.
[/quote]

It's like you're inside my head.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1454071678' post='2966073']
Well i think the inspiration bit could work on "genre", and then maybe whoever "wins" gets to pick the next moths inspiration.
So maybe they could choose "something inspired by Jaco" ?
I dunno. . . . Might work :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Interesting! So the inspiration could be a famous bass player...? (at least famous enough for people to go online and find examples of their playing).

That could work. And it would introduce people to bassists they perhaps haven't heard of.

Hmmm... I think this is the best suggestion yet.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1454072392' post='2966094']
It's like you're inside my head.
[/quote]

There are modern treatments, but they're expensive, and invasive. Probably worth it, though... :mellow:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1454072434' post='2966097']
Interesting! So the inspiration could be a famous bass player...? (at least famous enough for people to go online and find examples of their playing)...
[/quote]

My current BCC entry was, indeed, based on a 'Jaco' notion of style for the fretless part. This probably explains its lack of outright success. One has to choose carefully one's inspiration; this is Basschat. :ph34r: :lol: :P

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1454070677' post='2966048'][b]Secondly[/b], will this be sufficiently interesting for people to want to listen to? A selection of random baselines arguably has less appeal than a collection of compositions - and we already struggle to get people interested in those.
[/quote]
this is to me one of the key elements.

being honest, even though i consider myself fairly active in regard the composition challenge sometimes i just can't listen to some of the tracks posted. This is by no means a reflection on the skills of the player or the composition but some styles and genres are just not pleasing to my ear.

in all honesty i have no interest in listening to a bunch of riffs or lines in isolation.

i know that sounds harsh, but just casting an honest opinion

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1454070677' post='2966048']
[b]Thirdly[/b]... and this is perhaps my main concern... if we go ahead with the idea and it proves unpopular, then we may find ourselves ‘pestering’ the BC community to get involved in [i]another[/i] challenge-type activity, which might end up being detrimental to the one music challenge we have that works (albeit modestly). I don't want to "rob Peter to pay Paul", so to speak.

Tricky!

Further thoughts very welcome :)
[/quote]

I can't see why you'd have to pester people.
It appears that there is little interest in this idea - if you choose to go ahead with it anyway & it proves unpopular then why can't it just be allowed to die a natural death?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1454073726' post='2966118']
I can't see why you'd have to pester people.
It appears that there is little interest in this idea - if you choose to go ahead with it anyway & it proves unpopular then why can't it just be allowed to die a natural death?
[/quote]
agree, i don't see any harm in throwing it up there, if it doesnt gather traction it will just die on it's own.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1454071678' post='2966073']
Well i think the inspiration bit could work on "genre", and then maybe whoever "wins" gets to pick the next moths inspiration.
So maybe they could choose "something inspired by Jaco" ?
I dunno. . . . Might work :rolleyes:
[/quote]

The problem that some people seem to have with the current composition challenge is that the recording skills required for it are perceived by some to be beyond them.
If you start saying a piece for this new "challenge" has to be inspired by a certain bassist then I think it's inevitable that some people will start moaning that they don't have the necessary ability to be able to play a bass line in that manner.

How about providing a short drum track that everyone has to play along with? Then it would be easier to compare the tracks, as they would have to relate to the groove. The only problem with this approach is of course that it would require all to be able to merge the drum track and the bass track in some way or another, but it will at least not require any production skills.

[quote name='alibabu' timestamp='1454075324' post='2966168']
How about providing a short drum track that everyone has to play along with? Then it would be easier to compare the tracks, as they would have to relate to the groove. The only problem with this approach is of course that it would require all to be able to merge the drum track and the bass track in some way or another, but it will at least not require any production skills.
[/quote]

The current composition challenge doesn't require any production skills, not as a prerequisite anyway.

Right. Decided! :)

Let's just kick off with it being a "record a baseline of your own choosing” type thing. No specific inspiration.

Rules are:[list]
[*]Bass only
[*]One track (no loopers)
[*]FX allowed
[*]Simple click track or metronome allowed
[*]60 seconds maximum
[/list]

We’ll then gauge the response and either keep it running (tweaking the format as we go) or kill it off and pretend it's all Twincam's fault. Sorted :D

I’ll set something up over the weekend. Watch this space… [size=2]well not literally; go and do something less tedious in the meantime.[/size]