Why become a member? ×

Atelier Z basses - where to buy in the UK?

Gunsfreddy2003

Don't know of a dealer but there are usually a few second hand ones knocking around on the u-box. Ishibashi are great to deal with. Import it yourself, easy peasy.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/

And, yes, Jerry Barnes is responsible for Z gas here too :D

Cheers for the heads up - are they just a guitar shop? Never heard of U Box before!!

Do you know why there are two prices, one in brackets and one not.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1453928528' post='2964411']
Don't know of a dealer but there are usually a few second hand ones knocking around on the u-box. Ishibashi are great to deal with. Import it yourself, easy peasy.

[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/[/url]

And, yes, Jerry Barnes is responsible for Z gas here too :D
[/quote]

It's Ishibashi's second hand store, big Japanese retailer and very trustworthy in my experience. The price in brackets is what you'd pay, being outside Japan. Last time I bought from them it was just over €100 for postage and then the usual import duty fun when it arrived.

Man they were so good on Saturday night!

Problem is I know in my heart that he could come down here and play any of my basses and sound fantastic so getting an Atelier is probably just bad GAS and nothing else!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1453935356' post='2964528']
When i saw your post and Atelier Z basses i knew Francis was in it. :D
[/quote]

• 1 year later...

If you're looking to get gear from Japan, another two websites that are worth visiting are:

https://www.digimart.net

and

http://www.j-guitar.com

they list both used and new items, and google-translate (or a translation plug-in in a browser) should let you find what you're after quite easily.

If you contact any of the major retailers, like Ishibashi, Ikebe or Kurosawa, they are usually happy to post internationally, and postage prices should be reasonable.

good luck :)

• 4 months later...

I've got a 5 string Atelier-Z that I bought in 2010 and used as my main instrument until recently when I swapped back to playing a 4 string again. I'm now thinking of selling the Atelier-Z as I just don't play it any more as I have GAS for a Rickenbacker. Does anyone on here know how much the Atelier-Z may be worth? 

23krecn (1).jpg

23krecn (2).jpg

23krecn (3).jpg

23krecn (4).jpg

23krecn (5).jpg

23krecn.jpg

56 minutes ago, doctorg57 said:

I've got a 5 string Atelier-Z that I bought in 2010 and used as my main instrument until recently when I swapped back to playing a 4 string again. I'm now thinking of selling the Atelier-Z as I just don't play it any more as I have GAS for a Rickenbacker. Does anyone on here know how much the Atelier-Z may be worth? 

That's a great-looking bass. There's a fairly similar, albeit new, Atelier Z M245 for sale at the local bass emporium in Camden at the moment. I assume a 5 string version would be a little more, new. Might give you a start point. Good luck! 

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, fingerz said:

How are you players getting on with these basses over time? Do you find the 5 strings to retain the tone we all hear and love often on the four strings, and what are the necks like compared to say Celinder, or other builders who nail that 70's vibe ?

I have my Atelier Z 265 for a while now. The bass surpassed my expectations when I got it, especially for the build quality, feel of the neck and the overall sound (very nice B string )

This feeling grew over the time so even after the honeymoon period i honestly think that this is the best 'super' jazz I have ever had  (went through Sadowskys, Spector Coda, Fenders, FGNs, Sandbergs etc over the years)

The feel of the neck is a personal thing, I definitely like skinnier necks for 5ers so that being said Atelier hit it right it the middle with the neck, a hair bit thicker than my Sadowsky, narrower that the Spector Coda. The clear coating is a joy to play, the feel of the neck is really great. 

I might sound as a fan, but I am extremely satisfied with my Atelier and it actually put an end to my quest for modern 5 string jazz basses.