Why become a member? ×

So how old are we....

Staggering on

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1453968801' post='2964683']
It can be difficult. If I look at ads put up by players of my sort of vintage (50's) they almost always seem to be blues, classic rock or very middle of the road, none of which interest me.
[/quote]

Similarly here, I'm 45 and finding people do make...'interesting' (to me, for want of a better word) music does seem to get harder. Not impossible, but takes more time and patience...

We keep at it tho, don't we ? :)

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1453971646' post='2964715']
50 today and suffer from the same affliction. That stuff doesnt interest me either.
I cant remember anyone in my younger days that doted on blues, classic rock or mother my dog middle of the road stuff? They were all into punk and SKA. Perhaps we are supposed to contract the virus around the 50 mark? :)
[/quote]

Happy birthday chap!

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1454009169' post='2965424']
I will be 47 this year,and I am the oldest in the band,but also the most immature!

[/quote]

I found that most of the young people I've been in bands with just aren't immature enough...they're so serious :blink:

Now, in the States you can run into the busy money making functions band. If the average age is even say 40, the chances of them hiring a 60 year old is not good. Even if you auditioned flawlessly they are probably going to go with a younger guy, even if he sucks.

Blue

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1453974951' post='2964754']
63 in May. I agree with Blue's comment about age not needing to be a factor:[/quote]

I think if your dealing with musicians with a lot of experience and value experience. Bands that have it together and have work, age is not a factor.

But guys over 60 need to have it together. You can't go to an audition looking and sounding like you have been out of the game for years.Or taking too long to set up your gear. Bands will spot that quick and rush you through an audition to get rid of you.

Tip for those over 60 and auditioning, don't talk about the old days or anything that's not relevant to the younger generation. Absolutely no noodling in between songs.

There are a lot of low end bands that have never been anywhere and will never go anywhere, they can get hung up on age. These are bands that usually have nothing to offer that you would want to stay away from.

Blue

Edited by blue

I've put bands together in the past (and am doing so again at the moment) and would have no issue whatsoever with people over 60 turning up to audition...

... In my bands age is utterly irrelevant, the right man for the job is the right man for the job and that's all that matters to me.

Just realised I'm 33 this year. Starting to get gray hairs too.

I really believe in staying fit, weights and cardio. And so it does slightly annoy me all this talk of lighter gear although I can understand why. I'm using older TE gear and it's a pain in the arse. But a man should really be able to haul heavy gear without injury and I hope I will still be able to do just that long into old age.

I do worry that not as many younger people are taking up playing instruments in general.

Oh that's reminds me a few years ago my friend Carl got turned down for a band as he was too old, he was 28! Haha. Turning away from guitar he now does music production and dj's etc.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1454059832' post='2965811']
Just realised I'm 33 this year. Starting to get gray hairs too.

I really believe in staying fit, weights and cardio. And so it does slightly annoy me all this talk of lighter gear although I can understand why. I'm using older TE gear and it's a pain in the arse. But a man should really be able to haul heavy gear without injury and I hope I will still be able to do just that long into old age.

[/quote]

You do realise, though, that back injuries are not a choice. They can happen no matter how fit you are. First time my back 'went' I was doing heavy weights and probably about as fit as I ever have been. I can see nothing for you to be 'slightly annoyed' about. If anything I -and I am sure other people who do suffer with back problems - am 'slightly annoyed' at your attitude, that we are somehow less manly because we can no longer heft 50kg cabs about. If you consider 'being a man' is measured by how much weight you can move I would suggest you have a close look at your life values.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1454064503' post='2965904']

You do realise, though, that back injuries are not a choice. They can happen no matter how fit you are. First time my back 'went' I was doing heavy weights and probably about as fit as I ever have been. I can see nothing for you to be 'slightly annoyed' about. If anything I -and I am sure other people who do suffer with back problems - am 'slightly annoyed' at your attitude, that we are somehow less manly because we can no longer heft 50kg cabs about. If you consider 'being a man' is measured by how much weight you can move I would suggest you have a close look at your life values.
[/quote]

Whoa there. I never said they were not a choice or that they couldn't happen too anyone and I think I also said I can understand why people like lighter gear. And I certainly don't think any injury is funny I've had a few myself, or that anyone is less manly so really you've put words in my mouth I've never spoken. And I certainly do not judge anyone on how much they can lift.

The thing that annoys me is people rejecting gear these days because it's heavy like it should be feared. And as you said your injury was from weight lifting and not from lifting gear which is normally less heavy than weights.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1454065775' post='2965936']
I had one of those 'health checks' a couple of months back and although I'm approaching 43 I've got the metabolism of a 24 year old....and no, he's not having his metabolism back.
[/quote]

There’s hope for us all yet!

I’m due one of those free health-checks with the NHS now that I’m in my 40s. My resting heart rate is reassuringly below average for my age (currently about 64bpm, which is rated as “good”). I cycle daily on my commute to work, but still have a few pounds to shed… ;)

I suppose I'd better weigh in here; I'll be 75 in two weeks time and the gorgeous Mrs B has bought me two pairs of Ralph Lauren skinny chinos for an early present. So you guys need have no concerns re anno domini. I've got three jazz gigs this week and still get quite a lot of work, although I don't go chasing up to Leeds from Oxon and back for a gig anymore.

I suppose the clue is jazz, where there is a slightly higher average age of the band and audience. I fit in well enough with forty year olds and the trick is to have a young outlook and only hark back to the old days when you sense the general conversation going that way. Then it all kicks off and the subject soon gets round to what medication everyone's using and who's had a new knee. Audition? Never done one.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1454065577' post='2965932']
Whoa there. I never said they were not a choice or that they couldn't happen too anyone and I think I also said I can understand why people like lighter gear. And I certainly don't think any injury is funny I've had a few myself, or that anyone is less manly so really you've put words in my mouth I've never spoken. And I certainly do not judge anyone on how much they can lift.

The thing that annoys me is people rejecting gear these days because it's heavy like it should be feared. And as you said your injury was from weight lifting and not from lifting gear which is normally less heavy than weights.
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Yes, you said those things but the overall tone of your post seemed, to me, to criticize - "[color=#282828]a man should really be able to haul heavy gear without injury " seems fairly unambiguous. If that isn't what you meant then I apologise for wading in.[/color][/font][/size]

I didn't actually say my back injury was from lifting weights. It wasn't - it happened doing something totally innocuous. Although I grant you it could read like it was from lifting weights. My point is that at the time of my life when I first injured my back - I was a little older than you in my early 40s - I used to be very strong: had a strong back/legs from squats/deadlifts/rows etc, was completely used to lifting heavy things but all was to no avail when my back went - just leaning over to measure with a tape measure.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1454069513' post='2966021']
My point is that at the time of my life when I first injured my back - I was a little older than you in my early 40s - I used to be very strong: had a strong back/legs from squats/deadlifts/rows etc, was completely used to lifting heavy things but all was to no avail when my back went - just leaning over to measure with a tape measure.
[/quote]

I was the same, I used to be really fit - cycled a lot & spent a lot of time in the gym working on cardio, lifting weights.
My back went getting out of the bath in 2008 (I was 43) & I've not been able to do any exercise, apart from walking, since.

I'm 39. Never gigged, but was in a band very briefly at University (last millennium - sob!).
I did my back a few times from the abuse I gave it as an athlete in my youth, but a decent mattress has largely fixed that.

Like a few others - too much time spent raising sprogs, paying the real gas bill and visiting supermarkets to have much time for anything except bedroom noodling with the amp on 'sshhh..'
*dramatic sigh*