Why become a member? ×

So how old are we....

Staggering on

52 here. Haven't been playing all that long either. have strummed amateurishly on guitar for years, but bass much more recent. Great fun though.

Out of interest, how do you older guys (older age bracket, not older than me :)) get on with finding people to play with; I am struggling a bit.

[quote name='Sausages' timestamp='1453926863' post='2964388']
52 here. Haven't been playing all that long either. have strummed amateurishly on guitar for years, but bass much more recent. Great fun though.

Out of interest, how do you older guys (older age bracket, not older than me :)) get on with finding people to play with; I am struggling a bit.
[/quote]

For serious working bands,age is not that much of and issue if you maintain a decent stage presence.

The bands that specify. Must be under 40 years of age are usually bands with no work and a waste of time.

Blue

Edited by blue

[/quote]

They encourage us to be sociable & stay active in the care home.

[/quote]

It can be difficult. If I look at ads put up by players of my sort of vintage (50's) they almost always seem to be blues, classic rock or very middle of the road, none of which interest me.

My Facebook profile says that I'm 22, even if it is wrong I'm sticking with it :D

In truth I'll be 43 on Sunday, gifts kindly accepted :)

Mortgage, children and work do get in the way of joining the bands I'd like to, buy hey ho. Anyway, I'm in a good band now and am thoroughly enjoying it. All about getting the balance right.

I'm similar to Gary. Most of the people my age want to do material that doesn't interest me. It's probably why I've been in a couple of projects with people in their 20s.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1453968801' post='2964683']

It can be difficult. If I look at ads put up by players of my sort of vintage (50's) they almost always seem to be blues, classic rock or very middle of the road, none of which interest me.
[/quote]

50 today and suffer from the same affliction. That stuff doesnt interest me either.
I cant remember anyone in my younger days that doted on blues, classic rock or mother my dog middle of the road stuff? They were all into punk and SKA. Perhaps we are supposed to contract the virus around the 50 mark? :)

63 in May. I agree with Blue's comment about age not needing to be a factor:

In my last band (fusion - Govan, Stern et al) I was in my late 50's; sax player (on leave from his day job playing in Comus) about the same age, drummer early 30's (I think), and both guitarists in their mid-20's - that was a lot of fun as everybody was a working pro of one sort or another, nobody got in anybody else's way musically and we all got on really well. Having to give that one up was quite a jolt TBH.

Function band before that and I was the oldest by some distance (early-mid 50's); bass player was early 40's (I was a guitarist in those days - y'know... prancing around the stage... pulling faces as I played... that kind of stuff) and everybody else was 20's and 30's. In fact the first time I told the other guys how old I was they all gave me a bit of a look (which I took as a compliment :D ).

Covers band around the Northampton area before that, and oldest in that band as well IIRC (same bass player and drummer as the function band above - except that they were younger: in fact the drummer had been recruited more or less straight out of the school where the singer and I were teachers).

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1453968801' post='2964683']
[/quote]

64 and I've had same issue.

I'm really not that interested in rock music and nothing will make me play classic rock covers. So I tend to play in bands that are at least a little bit away from that, especially if I can push the band slightly down a more folk, or ska, or reggae, soul, funky direction, and be a bit more discerning about material and arrangements. I also find it annoying when it's drums, bass, and guitars and that's it. There needs to be at least one other instrument.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1453984652' post='2964902']
42 and desperately trying to continue playing bass in a band whilst bringing up a family. Gets me down quite a lot only having pretty basic basses and amps (browsing on here doesn't help :) ) but I have amazing kids that need my money more!
[/quote]

I'm the same age (although in a few days time I'll be a year older :( ) and I have a self imposed rule that I don't use, what I refer to as, household money to buy gear. Hence I always ask for money for Christmas and Birthdays if people feel they want to give me anything. I'd say I have good, price conscious gear :)

I'd feel guilty as sin if I spent 'house' money on all the GAS I suffer from :)

58, gigging now more than I've ever done in the past (although at 20-30 gigs a year that's not up to the three gigs a weekend that some have managed). Would rather like to do some original material as a side project but I think I'll just have to do that in the studio with Mrs Zero as I can't interest the guitarist.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1453986964' post='2964953']
I'd feel guilty as sin if I spent 'house' money on all the GAS I suffer from :)
[/quote]

Also ditto. There's the gas bill and then there's the GAS bill! Kids definitely help to focus financial priorities in my experience ;)