Why become a member? ×

BBC iPlayer... Music Moguls

TrevorR

Been watching this series on iPlayer... Music Moguls: Masters of Pop, 2. Melody Makers: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p039x53y via @bbciplayer

Don't think that there's anything I've not seen before but it's a really diverting watch.

First episode is Simon Napier Bell talking about the iconic music managers of the 60 and 70s etc. And then number two is about producers, with Nike Rodgers hosting. Great section where Visconti takes you though the multitrack of Heroes...

Definitely worth checking out...

I thought the first one was fantastic the way all the different managers operated, especially Peter Grant.

I watched the second one last night which was also pretty good but it confirmed to me that I really don't like any of Mark Ronson's work. Also, this is the first time I have heard him speak - has he had a stroke in the past?

I thought the Heroes bit was really good. I thought the bass sound was fantastic and not what I expected then it was covered in all sorts of weird noises that sounded mostly terrible on their own but put them all together and it sounds amazing.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1453889993' post='2963771']
Here's the extended version of Tony Visconti dissecting Heroes.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g18sx"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p03g18sx[/url]
[/quote]

I'm glad you posted that, I'd noticed it linked to on the main BBC website the other day but hadn't watched it - love seeing stuff like this.

There are some great music progs on iplayer. I have a 'smart TV' but no aerial/dish so can only access online programmes but I'm never short of something interesting to watch. No need for a TV licence either ;)

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1453881644' post='2963649']
I thought the Heroes bit was really good. I thought the bass sound was fantastic and not what I expected then it was covered in all sorts of weird noises that sounded mostly terrible on their own but put them all together and it sounds amazing.
[/quote]

Agreed. A great example of the subtle art of mixing!