Why become a member? ×

SOLD Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro-IV ***Gibson pups***
£300

omikin

It's with a great deal of reluctance that I'm putting this lovely thing up for sale. Normally in this bit people say "I really like this but I just didn't get on with it" or something similar, but not me. Despite being avowedly a P-bass man I have always hankered after a Gibson Thunderbird. Never managed to justify the cost (and made the rookie error of telling Mrs Omikin how much they were so if I ever did buy one she'd know how much I spent on it...) and the P-bass seemed to fit in with my band's sound quite nicely. I tried the standard Epi which I loved for its shape, even though I knew the neck was a bolt-on and it was too fat and it did have a bit of neck dive with a canvas strap. Then I went for the T-Bird Pro which was an improvement in shape but I couldn't get the hang of the electronics (four knobs and I was never really clear what they all did).

So when Epiphone brought out this one - Gibson shape and styling with through neck and actual Gibson pickups I was really excited. I couldn't believe though that the quality would be that good. How could they sell effectively the same model (okay, poly finish rather than nitro and 7-ply neck instead of 9 ply neck but otherwise pretty much the same) for a grand less than the real thing? I couldn't find one anywhere until my local PMT had one in. I A-B'd it with the Gibson model and whilst the Gibson obviously has the heritage I couldn't really justify the extra cash as they felt and sounded the same.

I didn't have the £419 they wanted for it either (plus £80 for a hard case) so I kept my eyes peeled on Ebay till I found this. A guy had been bought it by his GF and didn't want it so moved it on. I paid £255 for it (plus postage) and I got a new case from Amazon for £59. I have to confess I also put on the Gibson truss rod cover. Don't judge me. It's never left the house so no-one has seen this. The original Epiphone one is included with the sale.

It looked pretty much mint to me and played really smooth out of the box. I lowered the action a little and put some flats on it (La Bella Deep Talking 45 - 105) and fell in love. It was never going to replace the P-bass in my band as I am now wedded to [i]that[/i] sound, but it is very very nice indeed. I like it with the neck pup on full and the bridge one slightly rolled off. Lovely growl and a completely different sound from the thud of the P-bass.

So why am I selling it? My wife has been made redundant and every penny counts. If I were playing this in the band it would stay, but I'm not and it can't. I am hoping to almost cover my costs here so am asking for [s]£300[/s] [b]£275[/b] (remember these are £419 new, and £80 for a case so you're saving £200!) plus £20 postage if you need it couriered. I am up and down the M1 between Leeds and Dunstable a couple of times a month so meeting up or delivering may be an option too.

[attachment=210719:132.JPG][attachment=210720:133.JPG][attachment=210721:134.JPG][attachment=210722:135.JPG][attachment=210723:136.JPG][attachment=210724:137.JPG]

Edited by omikin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...