Pics please =P
[/quote]

OK...

I don't own it anymore but this Atlansia Solitaire used to be mine:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC02853.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC02867.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC02870.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1453727239' post='2962132']
I had and played several 5s over the years but always seem to drift back to 4s. So for me it's 4 all the way.
[/quote]

Me too. I get all the advantages of fives, but my brain and hands just can't get used to them :blush:

I've been playing for 21 years and the last 17 have been exclusively (apart from a brief dalliance with a 6er that ended last year) playing 5 strings.
I actually find 5 string necks to generally be more comfortable as my preference is for a wide but shallow neck. Other than that I can't see any good reason not to have the extra string there when I want it both for positioning and extended range reasons. If I found the extra width of the neck or tighter spacing in any way to be a negative then I might reassess it but for me personally, 5 strings genuinely are all pros and no cons.

All but one of my basses is a 4, and the exception is the 8-string. So, technically, you could argue that was a double-coursed 4.

I can see the sense and, up to a point, the appeal of extending the instrument's range - though given my own playing style, if I were to invest in a 5er, I'd probably look to extend the range upwards rather than down (i.e., EADGC).

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1453740141' post='2962324']
All but one of my basses is a 4, and the exception is the 8-string. So, technically, you could argue that was a double-coursed 4.

I can see the sense and, up to a point, the appeal of extending the instrument's range - though given my own playing style, if I were to invest in a 5er, I'd probably look to extend the range upwards rather than down (i.e., EADGC).
[/quote]
Why choose? get a 6. Then you can play 2 8ve scales in the same hand position =P.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1453744664' post='2962384']
Did you sell that to Jonny Shrimpton?
If so I've played it.
[/quote]

TBH I can't remember who I sold it to, other than I think he came from Brighton and was going to use it in a "Royal Blood" type bass and drums band. However I can't imagine that there are many of these in existence and even fewer in the UK...

What did you think of it?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1453746114' post='2962406']
What did you think of it?
[/quote]

The neck was a bit chunky to say the least! but bizarrely felt right because of the 'narrowness' of the fingerboard.
...I found being restricted to a single string extremely limiting...hahaha - certainly root fifth stuff out the window unless the string was tuned to the root of the key!

Edited by Twigman

I played 5s exclusively for a long time, but I ended up trying one of the then-new Mexican 4 string Precisions that had just come out in 2009ish and it was a "have to buy it" moment. I took it along to a rehearsal as a bit of a joke (my main basses then were Vampyre and Warlock 5-strings so the white/white/maple P was something of an aesthetic change) but I ended up enjoying it so much that I've been predominantly in the 4-string camp ever since.