Why become a member? ×

Dreadnought Acoustic Build

Andyjr1515

Thanks, folks :)

Two more jobs off the finish list. I raised the nut a touch and filed the slots down until they were below the zero fret. This gives proper and secure positioning of the two middle strings where the angle off to the tuners.

I also added an ebony trussrod cover with a routed 'swift'. I also added a maple strip to this to reflect the white line added to the fretboard demarcation. That said, I'm not entirely sure whether ebony is right for the cover - if I get a bit of spare time, I might do a mahogany one and a lacewood one and see which looks best.

Finished!

Actually, I might give the top one more flatten and varnish, but I have between now and July to decide (that's when the surprise present will be presented!).

Electrics installed, new strings on, photos taken. Forgive the self-indulgence:

When I first put strings on - [url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-rogers-6/sets/newly-built-dreadnought-acoustic-1st-test-with-strings"]very, very old strings and the guitar not set up and no electrics - I did a couple of sound clips here[/url], just recorded staight into a vocal mic, no effects or EQ. I don't know how it comes over, but in real life it has the unmistakeable volume and strumming smoothness of a dreadnought. Well chuffed..

Now the new strings are on, it is set up and the electrics are in, I'll try and do some more clips in the near future.

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1460830071' post='3029218']
My favourite detail is the bird inlay in the neck heel. Subtle and very classy. Amazing work.

Any comments on whether you may be focusing more on acoustic or electric instruments in the future? :)
[/quote]
Thanks, roman_sub .... and all you folks for your motivating encouragement :)

I've got a number of items on my personal wish list but also have probably an electric bass refurb and an electric bass build coming in shortly.

In terms of my own builds, electric cello is well overdue and I've just got a small drill-press that would be just right for a carved archtop.... pity I'm such a slow builder!

I come to this thread late...speaking to Andy earlier about a bass I want refurb'ed he recommended that I look at this and I'm glad I did. Beautiful piece of work - Andy's certainly brought out the best of the woods used - love the back and sides on this. The singer in the band is sure to appreciate this guitar.

Unfortunately reading this thread is making the return of my own project (which Andy will hopefully be starting on Tuesday) that much more frustrating. I'm feeling like a kid on Xmas Eve. I can empathise with Kert (Funkshui) who must have been going through hell while waiting for his bass to be completed but able to follow every step through the thread.

Again, great work Andy...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1461100194' post='3031558']
I come to this thread late...speaking to Andy earlier about a bass I want refurb'ed he recommended that I look at this and I'm glad I did. Beautiful piece of work - Andy's certainly brought out the best of the woods used - love the back and sides on this. The singer in the band is sure to appreciate this guitar.

Unfortunately reading this thread is making the return of my own project (which Andy will hopefully be starting on Tuesday) that much more frustrating. I'm feeling like a kid on Xmas Eve. I can empathise with Kert (Funkshui) who must have been going through hell while waiting for his bass to be completed but able to follow every step through the thread.

Again, great work Andy...
[/quote]
Thanks, Mick!
Mick's new project has me excited already. New thread will be kicking off shortly...and it's going to be one of those very interesting 'challenges' ;)