Why become a member? ×

Do you actively seek new music?

Cameronj279

Don't go as far as having a set schedule (listen to this many new bands a week etc.) But always have an ear open for something new. I have a Spotify account that I use mainly for work which is a great way to find new bands but if I come across something special I make a point of buying it.

I've sort of come the other way from when I first got my job at the tender age of 19 and spent a few years buying approximately 5 albums a week, every week!

[quote name='baldwinbass' timestamp='1453655012' post='2961452']
Maybe showing my age, but I'm listening more & more to Radio 3 Late Junction - weird and wonderful stuff
[/quote]

Me too. Plus Radio 6.
This is after a long time with almost no music radio. I hate Radio 1, and a lot of the ex-Radio 1 people on Radio 2. Steve Wright is one of the reasons I quit R1 in the first place.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1453679312' post='2961813']
Steve Wright is one of the reasons I quit R1 in the first place.
[/quote]

He is just awful. Dogmatic right-wing moron with verbal diaohrrea. Can't even stand the sound of his voice. Terrible, terrible man and a crap DJ. Apart from that he's OK. :mellow:

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1453652326' post='2961410']
I have to say music is an obsession, I'm constantly listening to it and thinking about it..........to me it's part of what being a musician is about.
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453655676' post='2961461']
I'm searching for new music the whole time. I don't mean only newly made music; I mean music I haven't heard before. It could be from 2016 or from 1925. It would drive me nuts always to be hearing the same stuff over and over again. It's because I have heard the new stuff that I can still enjoy listening to the old stuff.
[/quote]

This and This :)

It breaks me that the radio where I spend time at a day/night job seems to be constantly tuned to Absolute 80's

Always new music for me, and the great thing about online sources (YouTube for me) is how much you can be led to discover. When I say ‘new’…
It was a PS3 game that got me into pop/post-punk in 2008 so I was a very late latcher-on to the genre. I’d put Simple Plan and Every Avenue as my top listening choices, but the latter went into hiatus in 2012! Still, thanks to YT’s recommendations I’m coming across new stuff all the time, and I’m just as enthusiastic about it if it’s from 2016 or 2000.
Which actually makes me glad to not be in a covers band any more. So many bands have such huge crossover of predictable old stuff I find it depressing. It’s like music is moving on but the covers bands refuse to.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1453727963' post='2962142']
It’s like music is moving on but the covers bands refuse to.
[/quote]

This is why I really can't stand cover bands. No offence to those who are in them (quite frankly I would be if I had the chance as they actually get paid after a gig) but I just find that they all play middle of the road songs with nothing of interest going on. I suppose this is what the punters want though.

I pick up new music from all over the shop, sometimes in the most unlikely of places (TV adverts have led me to a few gems over the years).

This place is also a nice eye-opener...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277622-january-composition-challenge-voting/"]New music for free[/url]

:)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1453732987' post='2962226']
(TV adverts have led me to a few gems over the years).
[/quote]

This is very true... Pretty much the only new music I have discovered since I was actively seeking stuff out as a younger man, has been something that has caught my interest on TV adverts, or been in the background of something I've been watching... quite often I've then gone on to buy an album etc of the artist in question.

I should probably add that in my world "new music" is actually "new music to me"; a lot of music I've "discovered" recently has actually been old music.

There have definitely been some bad decades but there's always something good to be found if you look for it - that why I find Spotify so helpful; you can actually get into a band/album before forking out too much money (times are hard at the moment)!

I don't tend to go to gigs all that often unless someone i know is playing, but occasionally i'll just go out for a pint somewhere that has a band on and see what's what. I do regularly find new stuff online, more often than not in the bowels of youtube (It can be a scary place) and i do like to try and keep up with anyone decent i find.

Liam

I have actively sought out new musical discoveries for as long as I can remember and I hope I'll continue to do so. It never fails to amaze me how much amazing stuff there is out there, 'under the radar', so to speak. The downside of course with the way that we consume music nowadays is that there is more garbage to wade through than ever, but that makes it all the more satisfying when you do uncover a hidden gem. That said, I'm listening to more old stuff than ever as I find myself appreciating music from my youth that either passed me by or that I dismissed first time around.