Why become a member? ×

Looking for someone to do a bass setup near Ledbury

jmccabe

Hi

I've had a look at the "recommended" thread, but there wasn't much listed near me apart from Bassurgery, but their website's dead so I don't know whether they still exist or not.

I'm looking for someone to do a good setup job on my 4 string; preferably someone in the Ledbury/Malvern/Hereford/Worcester/Cheltenham/Gloucester/Tewkesbury area.

If anyone can recommend someone nearby it would be greatly appreciated.

Ta
John

Edited by jmccabe

I've been tweaking the truss rod a bit and got the relief fairly reasonable, and I've been adjusting the bridge saddle height and intonation, but I've got some buzzing around the 3rd fret. I could loosen the truss road again and give it a bit more relief, but I still thing a little less relief would be beneficial, especially as I don't think shimming the neck would help with the relief as it is! Anyhow it looks like the first couple are worn more than the others so I think the frets need sorting out. From the stuff I've found on the web it looks like you're best to use nicely curved tools to get that sort of thing right so I'd rather leave that to someone who isn't likely to make a pig's ear of it (or at least, if they do, you have some comeback on them :-)

John

The bass I want setting up is an Aria Laser Electric Bass, the "Heritage" (passive) version. I've seen them go recently on ebay for £125 so you might think it's a bit daft to spend probably upwards of £70 to set it up, but I've had it since new (1985) so it's got sentimental value :) My main bass is much nicer.

I'm on the New Mills Estate in Ledbury. Why do you ask?

The Aria basses are quite good more so the older Japanese built one's. If a set up and fret dress sorts it out then you should get many more years out of it. Don't be too put off by the prices on ebay, they are generally quite low at present.

I've got some rellies in Ledbury, 2 of my cousins live in Lower rd and my Uncle and Aunt live next to the telephone exchange. Before that they managed a farm on the Eastnor estate near the Welly.

[quote name='markytbass' post='288515' date='Sep 21 2008, 01:55 PM']The Aria basses are quite good more so the older Japanese built one's.[/quote]

This one was built in Japan, I believe in the Matsumoku factory. If so, according to the www.matsumoku.org website, it will have been built in 1984. I bought it in '85 I think but I was its first owner. They weren't particularly expensive, list price was about £229 or so, and it competed with the Westone Thunder 1A (I preferred it to the Thunder 1A for some reason - John Taylor may have influenced my decision :-), although I think I paid £185 for it. It didn't seem like a huge amount at the time, but given what you can get these days for that amount, perhaps it was!

[quote]If a set up and fret dress sorts it out then you should get many more years out of it. Don't be too put off by the prices on ebay, they are generally quite low at present.[/quote]

I've no real intention to sell it so that's not an issue, unless an SB-1000 came up in good condition for hardly any money :)

[quote]I've got some rellies in Ledbury, 2 of my cousins live in Lower rd and my Uncle and Aunt live next to the telephone exchange. Before that they managed a farm on the Eastnor estate near the Welly.[/quote]

Oh yes. I nearly rented a place in Lower Rd once. It's a bit busy down that way though! I have an ex-colleague, Nick, who lives down there.

All the best
John