Why become a member? ×

1963 Fender Precision (slab body)

There's a junk/music shop in Reading that throws up some interesting/decent stuff in now and then. I bought an old Les Paul Junior there a few years ago.

Just perusing their pages and there's what purports to be a slab body '63 Fender Precision up:

[url="http://musicmanreading.co.uk/music/product/fender-p-bass-usa-1963/"]http://musicmanreading.co.uk/music/product/fender-p-bass-usa-1963/[/url]

I have no reason to question the sellers integrity (hey, it's not Crack Converters) and really don't want this thread to go down the route of having these Precision aficionados barking 'It's a fake!' simply based on the evidence of one grainy photo; this is just a heads up for someone who might be looking for one - if it's genuine you should know what you need to look for.
P

OK, so perhaps I should have put purports in italics. Knowing the store, they probably wouldn't actually make a definition between a slab body or a chamfered one, given that it's a musical pawn shop and they tend to deal in cheap copies and disco equipment.

If you view the image full size (right click the one that pops up or the one below), there's no chamfer visible on the right-forearm bout. It does for all intents look like a slab body.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

There are the very rare mid-60s slabs, which from the title I assumed this shop was suggesting was for sale (63 is too early for that model). That pic isn't a slab however, they had much harder edges, and the advert doesn't mention slab as far as I can see, so I guess it's a standard '63 plus some confusion :)