Why become a member? ×

Tom Stenbeck Basses

BrunoBass

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1472757858' post='3124025']
Imagine if Stenback managed to compete at a slightly lower price mark, say Fender prices. From everything I've watched, heard, and touched, Tom's instruments are sublime.
[/quote]

...there's no free lunch, as they say.

• 4 weeks later...

This just makes me even more intrigued as to what developments are coming. The site is still down which is just adding to the anticipation, I am sure it wont be that dramatic now. Lets face it, he doesn't need any more business, he already has a huge waiting list. I have a feeling Stenback basses will be the new Celinder.

• 11 months later...

Are there any Stenback owners on basschat? I love the look of these and every time someone plays one it seems to be like some sort of bass spiritual awakening.

I know they stopped taking orders and there is no website anymore, is there a huge waiting list? He also mentioned exciting developments which they never said any more about on facebook.

Just interested to know more I guess.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1504637099' post='3366296']
Are there any Stenback owners on basschat? I love the look of these and every time someone plays one it seems to be like some sort of bass spiritual awakening.

I know they stopped taking orders and there is no website anymore, is there a huge waiting list? He also mentioned exciting developments which they never said any more about on facebook.

Just interested to know more I guess.
[/quote]

Well tom is building 15 basses per year roughly so the more time on emails , the less time building , and he's alone .... ;)

I know Tom personally, I live in Finland 100km from his house. I've had mine since 2013. It's the most expensive, comfortable, beautiful sounding instrument I own. I'm also a lefty and mine is the first left handed he built and the ONLY with PJ-pickups.

[quote name='vutran' timestamp='1504890990' post='3368146']
I know Tom personally, I live in Finland 100km from his house. I've had mine since 2013. It's the most expensive, comfortable, beautiful sounding instrument I own. I'm also a lefty and mine is the first left handed he built and the ONLY with PJ-pickups.
[/quote]
What P pickup is it that he uses? I asked if he would do me a custom P but said he couldn't/wouldn't!

Edited by JamesBass

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1505069692' post='3369297']
What P pickup is it that he uses? I asked if he would do me a custom P but said he couldn't/wouldn't!
[/quote]

He uses Lundgren pickups on everything he does, mine is a custom Lundgren PJ-set.
here's a picture of my #1!

[url="https://www.instagram.com/p/BSyvRYLhQhm/"]https://www.instagram.com/p/BSyvRYLhQhm/[/url]

[quote name='vutran' timestamp='1505113398' post='3369470']

He uses Lundgren pickups on everything he does, mine is a custom Lundgren PJ-set.
here's a picture of my #1!

[url="https://www.instagram.com/p/BSyvRYLhQhm/"]https://www.instagram.com/p/BSyvRYLhQhm/[/url]
[/quote]
Good to know, thanks!

That is beautiful! I'd love a 5 string Jazz from him at some point...

• 8 months later...
16 minutes ago, Alanbass said:

Anyone know if Stenback basses are still going?

Very much so, but I think his books are closed (could be wrong about that). Pretty active on Instagram, and I assume Facebook, so maybe try messaging through there.

Si

Website points you to Paul's Bass Matters in the Netherlands. You could try there if immediate contact isn't forthcoming.

Edited by Bigwan
because us engineers can't speak Englander it would seem...

The latest post on Facebook seems to be Jan this year - seems pretty dead to me? I saw a message about closing down orders back in 2016. The idea as I understood it was for the owner to build basses and then offer them for sale as and when but I haven't seen any evidence of this at all.

I believe Morten Ehlers at Bass Buddha is had the odd Stenback in, and might know more about how to get hold of one.

From what I have heard and read, the waiting list for Stenback basses is so high that he basically doesn’t need to advertise or do any of the conventional marketing. What a superb position to be in as a luthier.

edit: the Stenback Instagram account is fairly active with photos of basses, nothing particularly new but regular posts.

Edited by NJE

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Paul Turner (Jamiroqui) has two white ones: Larry and Bootsy, both shown in this months BGM....

One is black (Bootay) and one is white (Larry), just the white one pictured :)

Si

I think we can all  put our GAS on ice for a bit, I spoke to Paul Sips at Bassmatters not too long ago and basically the Stenback order books are full for years, so add your name to the list now and hopfully you get your bass in '21/22.

Generally I am somewhat anti high-end basses (say the 3k plus range) as often I do not see where the additional money went.

Stenback is an exception, 5 grand is a lot of money for a bass, but I have never ever seen a builder so obessive with quality as Tom Stenback. That he is so obssesive re detail for a price that is not too dissimilar from a Custom Shop Fender, Lakland US, Alleva etc really shows he is about creating the best instrument he can. I totally get wjhy Paul Turner has two and Paul Sips (who besides a nice guy who has a great bass centric store is a stonking bassist) cannot stop raving about them.