Why become a member? ×

Tom Stenbeck Basses

BrunoBass

Im sure they are amazing instruments. but there are a huge amount of high end makers Jazz Basses out there who put just as much work into the making of there instruments without the 3/4 year waiting list.. I can't help but think, this a bit of marketing hype, and Stenbeck are the new Jazz Bass on steroids, thats in fashion right now.. Paul Turner has endorsed them, so even better. 

19 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Im sure they are amazing instruments. but there are a huge amount of high end makers Jazz Basses out there who put just as much work into the making of there instruments without the 3/4 year waiting list.. I can't help but think, this a bit of marketing hype, and Stenbeck are the new Jazz Bass on steroids, thats in fashion right now.. Paul Turner has endorsed them, so even better. 

Perhaps, but all that suggests that they're readily available and "everybody's playing them"... Neither of which is true...

• Like 2

On 29-5-2018 at 13:16, bubinga5 said:

I disagree with this, Tom Stenback puts more work into his jazz basses than any other luthier I have ever seen, for instance he has designed the bridge plate as he felt that available bridges were not correct and you should check out his videos on "tuning" his basses. He makes Lull look like a kit builder (but then they are much cheaper, and very good) in comparison. And this was the case long before Paul Turner caught on to him.

• Confused 1

Tom Stenback is the type of guy I'd like to spend a day with just to watch his process. There are hints at the levels he goes to in some of his videos. I'd love the chance to question him in detail...

To be fair to him, Tom has simply put the amount of work into his basses that he deems to be necessary. Everything else, be it hype or hyperbole is other peoples doing! The man simply builds basses and has priced them at a point where he can earn a living and not kill himself doing it.

Good luck to him, he's a lovely guy and very good at what he does. Think they're too expensive? Don't buy one.......if you can find one for sale :)

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

So he makes he hardware too? Fair play, if so. Otherwise I just cannot envisage how a Jazz Bass could be improved past a certain point. And Paul Turner endorses something different all the time. 

8 minutes ago, ped said:

So he makes he hardware too? Fair play, if so. Otherwise I just cannot envisage how a Jazz Bass could be improved past a certain point. And Paul Turner endorses something different all the time. 

Play one, I am not a fanboi at all and was totally ready to mop the floor with yet another boutique Jazz, it blew my mind. I have never played a passive bass with so much depth, warmth and tone and the fit and finish was just perfect.

I would never buy a 5k bass, Stenback or any other, but my word the Stenback I played (just 1) was just magic.

• 2 years later...
On 31/05/2018 at 18:08, pierreganseman said:

buying from tom before the hype began and ppl started fighting for them is the best thing i ever did ...

staggering jb's with world class attention to detial 

Pierre - you may know this ... what pickups does Paul Turner’s white Stenback have in it?

Also - you may remember a Talk Bass Sei bass thread from years back. I was having a through neck Jazz built (cocobollo top, Nordstrand pickups). I think you may have been waiting on one about the same time. 

14 hours ago, Nickthebass said:

Pierre - you may know this ... what pickups does Paul Turner’s white Stenback have in it?

Also - you may remember a Talk Bass Sei bass thread from years back. I was having a through neck Jazz built (cocobollo top, Nordstrand pickups). I think you may have been waiting on one about the same time. 

Unless Paul has swapped his out (I doubt it), the pickups will likely be the stock Lundgren/Stenback single coils.

Si

• Thanks 1

On 01/10/2020 at 00:58, Nickthebass said:

I have had a few Sei built along the way so that sounds like something I could do. lol 

• Haha 1