Left leaderboard
Grangur

BCers Prepared to Help Fix a Bass

On 13/11/2018 at 18:22, AndyTravis said:

As a point - due to time constraints, I’ve stopped doing repairs and set ups now.

Many thanks Andy.

• Thanks 1

Also happy to help... can work a soldering iron, meter, etc. etc.  Capable of doing setups most of the time. 

Happy to help.

In the Clyde Valley, south west of Glasgow

• Like 2

I am! 13 years as a bass player now, done all my own restringing and adjustments for a long time. I’ve took on quite a number of repairs too from headstock breaks to set-ups, even had a friend come to me with a bass neck he bought off eBay with the truss rod hanging out the back, wasn’t perfect but I sorted it and made it functional.

I LOVE making custom Ramps for basses aswell and have a number of exotic pieces of wood I’m hankering to carve up!!

Ive also done repairs & set-ups for quite a few of the local musicians around Burton On Trent and Derbyshire, I’m out in Clifton, not too far from Ashbourne, Belper, Buxton etc, in the Derby Dales, If anyone has any issues and needs someone close by, give me a shout! Happy to help :)

Edited by Bassislife16
Punctuation & spelling
  • Like 1

I’ve relocated, so you might want to edit my location. I’m now in the Outer Hebrides (still furthest north though). I’ll help out anyone in the islands, sure .... provided I’m not the only bass player here 🤔

Anyway, I can do set-ups, fingerboard/ fretboard/ fret work, basic electronic repairs, certain types of refinishing, and my forte ... metalware/ hardware modifications.

I’ve been confidently working on my own basses for the last 20-odd years. I’m a silversmith by trade, so I’m familiar with working to high technical standards  👍🏻

Edited by Fionn
  • Like 2

Guest Marcoelwray

Hello, I know this is not much UK-related, as my location is in Belgium but for a small charge or even for free if an arrangement could be found, I'd be happy to help anyone, in refretting, defretting, re-topping, refin, Warwick unofficial Customer support (refin, restauration, settings, repair...)

Here it is :)

Slight update.

As well as setups, fret work and refrets, some electrical work, cosmetic damage.

I now can do solid colour refinishing, some metallic and candy colours. Neck refinishing.

Also snapped neck repairs.

Mobile setups and minor fret work NE England. 

Will be hoping soon to learn routing work, modifications. 

On 03/05/2017 at 20:48, T-Bay said:

I am in Tamworth and reasonably handy across a range of skills but never done fretwork. I have a wide array of tools and kit to problem solve if needed as well.

Big thanks to T-Bay for helping me with a new switch in my OLP MM22. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hellzero
      NOGUERA Trinity 8 Custom Bruno Ramos ! The most ergonomical bass I've owned to date.

As it's a unique instrument, I'm opened (past participle) to (partial) trades, but please keep in mind that I'm fretless player.

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £3000 GBP !!! (new price would be around £5500 GBP...)

In fully working condition and excellent overall condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : 2 pieces red alder from Noguera original stock
      Top : book matched flamed maple from Noguera original stock with in between veneer out of ebony from Noguera original stock
      Neck : 1 piece hard rock maple from Noguera original stock (with stiffening rods)
      Fingerboard : flamed maple from Noguera original stock
      Frets : 25, yes 25
      Headstock : 4 + 4 shape (angled) with flamed maple top from Noguera original stock with in between veneer out of ebony from Noguera original stock
      Pickups : 2 Noguera single coils hum-cancelling (stacked humbucker) in 60's Jazz Bass position and ebony covers from Noguera original stock
      Preamp : Noguera 3 bands custom made for this unique bass to Bruno Ramos exact specifications
      Controls : neck volume (push-pull for active/passive selection), bridge volume, bass, mids (push-pull for 400/800 Hz selection), treble
      Tuners : Hipshot Ultralite
      Bridge : Noguera patented 2 pieces flamed maple from Noguera original stock with zinc fully adjustable saddles
      Strings spacing at bridge : 20 mm
      Nut : bone
      Strings spacing at nut : 9 mm
      Knobs : Noguera wooden knobs from Noguera original stock (maple for the volumes and ebony for the EQ)
      Scale : 34"
      Hardware colour : black
      Truss rods : 2 (fully working)
      Finish : very light gloss
      Land of craftsmanship : France
      Serial number : none as it's a unique model
      Year : 04/2012
      Weight : 5.6 kilos (on the light side for an ERB 8 strings) 
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the F string to 3 mm under the F# string at 12th fret (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with a brand new Rockcase Beast Bass hard case fitted with removable foam to block it inside.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

I'm only selling this wonderful Jazz Bass like ERB 8 strings bass because I really don't play fretted basses. As you probably know, I also own a Noguera Yves Carbonne Signature 8 Fretless that has become my main bass being a fretless player. Trinity (as it was named by Christian NOGUERA) deserves to be played, and even if each time I play it, it sounds terrific even dead flat and passive, I always get back to the fretless as it's my sound. This bass is unique and has been totally hand crafted with the best woods Christian had in stock at the time (as you certainly noticed it  ). All these woods were in his stock since more than 20 years explaining the even sound and the fact that this instrument seems to be insensible to the changes in weather. It stays in tune for months.

This bass was designed for Bruno Ramos who is professional player, a teacher and a journalist for the Bassiste Magazine (THE French magazine). This Noguera is perfectly balanced and really easy to play as every detail has been perfectly thought. Don't be afraid by the number of strings, it's so easy to play that you won't notice that you are playing such an ergonomical and balanced ERB. You'll be amazed, guaranteed !

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC. It has a new battery and has been fitted with a brand-new set of Kalium BH-190-8BS hybrid nickel round wound strings, except for the F that is plain (19P - 31 - 43 - 59 - 79 -106 -142 - 192).

This marvellous Noguera will also come with a brand new spare Kalium BH-174-8BL set (18P - 28 - 39 - 55 - 73 -98 -130 - 174), a used Kalium BH-174-8BL set, a brand new Newtone Diamond taper type round core nickel plated steel all round wound set (20 - 28 - 44 - 64 - 84 -104 -128 - 174) and a mounted once for one hour exact same Newtone set. So you'll have 4 spare sets : 2 new, 1 hardly used and 1 used (that was fitted on Trinity before I put the new set on it).

Link to the new Noguera website : https://www.noguera-basses.com/

A video with Bruno Ramos playing his bass : 

Another video were Bruno Ramos used it at the end of the tune : 

What you see is what you get !

Look at the pictures taken under different angles to see the real almost new condition : some hardly noticeable very few marks and very small knock over the neck pickup (at around 2 cm away). The bass is photographed with the special Loxx Strap Locks, but will be fitted back with the original black strap buttons (as on photos 12 to 15 which were made by Christian NOGUERA).

Don't hesitate to ask for more.
    • By cascanicoff
      Now up for grabs this beautiful Jerzy Drozd 5 strings bass. A great bass with the following specs:
      Aguilar Preamp 3 bands active/passive Etiome body Ebony fingerboard Maple neck 35" scale Weight: 4 kg. I used to have doubts about the 35" scale, but this bass has erased them all. I can barely find any difference to my 34" basses in the ergonomy or the feeling at playing. It is extremely easy to play, with great balance and an amazing build quality. A wonderful instrument that really makes justice to the fame of the builder.
      The Jerzy has some cosmetic wear that can be seen in the pictures. It has already been -generously- applied to the final price of 980 pounds. It is located in Bilbao - Spain.
      Cheers, Gorka

• By Hellzero
      ARIES Senes VS 6 Custom Signature, hyper rare, unique model !

Asking price : £2245 GBP !!!

In fully working condition and real good condition. This bass has never been modified, except for the changed strap pins.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : 7 pieces with, in order of appearance, red alder top, wenge veneer, maple veneer, mahogany core, maple veneer, wenge veneer, red alder back
      Neck : 5 pieces neckthrough flamed maple, wenge, maple, wenge, flamed maple
      Fingerboard : Macassar ebony
      Frets : 24
      Headstock : 3 + 3
      Tuners : Hipshot Ultralite
      Pickups : Aries Custom Neodymium humbuckers
      Preamp : Aries Custom Solfegio 3 bands 18 Volts
      Controls : volume (active / passive), blend, bass, mids and treble, 1 switch per pickup for series / single / parallel modes
      Bridge : Hipshot Type A
      Strings spacing at bridge : 18 mm
      Nut : brass
      Truss rod : dual action
      Strings spacing at nut : 9 mm
      Knobs : Aries Custom wood following the same pattern as the body
      Scale : 35"
      Hardware colour : gold
      Finish : gloss
      Land of craftsmanship : Croatia
      Serial number : 010109
      Year : January 2009
      Weight : 5.4 kilos
      Action : from 1,5 mm under the C string to 2 mm under the B string at 12th position

Will come with a generic semi-rigid case.

Non-smoking environment, as usual.

The Šabić brothers, at the origin of the brand, are, for one, classical luthier and, for the other, electronics engineer. They manufacture instruments of excellent craftsmanship and with handpicked electronic components. Unfortunately, they stopped the production of their always unique and hand-made instruments to work for a brand-name Custom Shop three years ago ... This is, therefore, a unique instrument made to measure for an Italian bassist and I am the third owner. It is an ultra-versatile and super rare bass.

The new price in 2009 was around 4.500 Euros…

The bass has been fully set up professionally. It has two new batteries and has been fitted with a brand new set of LaBella Super Steps SS45CB strings (29 - 45 - 65 - 85 - 105 - 128).

Link to all the high resolution photos and the below sound clip : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eich-IrjiKGxx3wAHupJPHlKSj_bNxjh

Link to a video made by my friend Vincent : 

Here, a sound clip recorded with this very bass, except for the fretless intro and outro, by the same Vincent : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jezFSCAl3S_3Yl_dNcurxnARbRvVeAZ5/view

What you see is what you get !

Look at the pictures taken under different lights to see the real condition : some few marks, especially close to the bottom strap pin and the usual light scratches, but nothing serious at all.

Don't hesitate to ask for more.

• By Dood
      Prompted by a post elsewhere on BassChat, I replied with this link to a set of very helpful videos by @Sheldon Dingwall.
      I am reposting here in the Repairs And Technical forum and will ask to make this a sticky for future reference.

• By claustra
      Hi all,

First custom order for me.
      (from a luthier in Northern france)
      I'll try to make a brief description of what I have tried over the years and what I am looking for.
      I have had only one bass bought new back in 1996 : an Ibanez ATK300, and tried a fair number of second hand instruments, from the cheap old Japanese marvels to the modern and dull American Fender (am I biased ?).
      From this I have gathered things that prove to work for me :
      - Lightweight is not necessarily a quality
      - Ash body and maple fingerboard really sing 
      - Those woods when figured look good
      - Hipshot lightweight tuners and A style bridge are excellent (from @TheGreek's Overwater custom jazzbass with all the qualities above)
      - A Precision pick-up is all I need. Passive.
      - ...but the neck pickup on a vintage Rickenbacker sounds really superb

I have turned 40 and decided to thin down the herd and spend a freaky amount of money on a bass that will try to gather those things I like.
      An Atelier Z , a 78 Precision (of which I want to compare the sound with the bass to come before it leaves) and maybe another Yamaha BB should soon be on the marketplace.
      It will look like this :

Specs : 
      Flamed maple neck with natural pearl block inlays, 21 frets, 6 bolts, 41mm at nut
      Flamed ash (never seen this before, and the guy has a whole French flamed ash tree drying in his workshop) : looks really good
      Natural satin finish
      Benedetti pickups :
      Vintage P
      Splittable double-jazz humbucker, Alnico II, on the 24th fret
      2 volume, 1 tone and split on the neck pickup
      Black Hipshot hardware

The guy has started already, and first pics will follow shortly.