Why become a member? ×

Sold pending
£1700

Cairobill

I've lusted after these for years and what a beautiful and unusual example. How does it balance on the knee (and on a strap)? I've had a few Status Streamlines and whilst they're great on a strap, they're not so easy to use in a seated position (unless one wears a strap!)

It has a clip on knee thingy which stops it sliding off your knee. Balance is fine on the knee as the bass centre of gravity is in the body. On the strap-plate it's great. You can revolve the bass to whichever angle suits you best and concentrate on playing.

They're unusual but brilliant...they sound fabulous and sustain forever. They also famously don't go out of tune...

The XL2A which is the active version, didn't come in until later. Mr Cloudburst of this parish has one I believe. I have an XL2 from same year (with a flip down rest), and the pickups are indeed powered but the EQ is a passive, Jazz-type setup with two volumes and tone. Will testify to all the good things said about these.

Edited by MattM

Yep - the folding leg rests work well when playing seated. I can only assume the plug-in one is very similar.

The boomerang strap attachment is pivoted about the bass's centre of gravity and this means you won't feel the strain of a long gig. At all. Really!

Regarding active vs passive - I'm lucky to have one of each so I can compare. Both instruments are battery powered. The passive XL-2 needs the battery just to power the pickups. MattM is spot on re the controls on the XL-2. On the XL-2A, the active controls are Master Vol, Pickup Pan (with centre detent) and Active Bass/Treble boost/cut (with centre detent). As you can imagine, the XL-2A is slightly more versatile tone-wise, however, I'm so used to the XL-2 as my go-to bass that I don't use the XL-2A very much. I guess that says the difference is marginal.

The main thing to get used to with a Steinberger XL is that, when strapped on, the first fret is further away than you will be used to (by about one fret), so your muscle-memory will take a little while to re-adapt.

Anything else - feel free to ask.

CB

Edited by cloudburst