Why become a member? ×

Bass amp advice needed

nomis

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I have posted here. Just looking for some advice around a new bass amp.

I currently have an ad200mk3 which is really nice but it's right heavy!

I want something a little lighter and maybe solid state (maybe). Kind of like the warm vintage tone.

A friend suggested a mark bass tte501 which looks ok. Anything else anyone could recomend?

Have a mooch in the Amps and Cabs for sale forum here: some cracking bargains from people who look after their kit. The only solid state heads I've owned could suit you: TecAmp Puma range, Genz Benz Shuttle range, and the Aguilar Tone Hammer. Something with an adjustable mids frequency range (aka semi parametric) will help. And of course your choice of cab! If you can make one of the Basschat bass bashes, or the London bass show, you can try a few out. Good luck!

[quote name='nomis' timestamp='1453415071' post='2959423']
I want something a little lighter and maybe solid state (maybe). Kind of like the warm vintage tone.
A friend suggested a mark bass tte501 which looks ok. Anything else anyone could recomend?
[/quote]

Another vote for the Aguilar Tone Hammer. Warm, light and solid-state. Doesn't sound light, though.
Can be got used on here for not a lot of cash.

Edited by discreet

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1453417933' post='2959458']
The only solid state heads I've owned could suit you: TecAmp Puma range, Genz Benz Shuttle range
[/quote]

The puma and shuttle would need a decent drive pedal such as a sans amp or darkglass in front of them to be do what I would call a vintage sound (yeah the shuttle can do it to some extent but its drive sound is "OK" not stellar), I'd look at a Streamliner, OTB, RH450/750, tech21 VTBass.

Get yourself along to the Bass bash on the 30th, there should be a nice range of amps you can try out, the venue we use has a shop as well that stocks the Aguilar heads so you'll be able to try them out too (at a decent volume)

Matt

I have a TTE500 which is analogue and a Class D TTE801. I regularly play through a Tonehammer 500 at a local Jam and had a brief play through a Subway.

I love the TTE500 and it is a fantastic amp tonally. I needed an amp capable of 500w @8 ohms so the logical step was the TTE 801 and I'm really happy with it.
I like the Tonehammer but I find it a little 2 dimensional in comparison to the TTE's.
In my brief play on the Subway I thought all the nice tones came with the voice control. Unfortunately it seemed compressed with the voicing control dialled in even a touch so my interest waned at that point. I realise that familiarity with the amp may change my opinion but it didn't seem my thing at all.

Edited by Opticaleye

Thanks for the advice guys. Would love to come to the bass bash but I live right up north in the toon so its a little far for me!

There's nowhere up here really to try different things out.

I played through a friends mini mark and traver 2x10 yesterday and it sounded great. Took my sans amp really well and didn't need to mess around too much with the settings!

For all the TTE users, how does it compare to the mini mark?

I believe there's a bass bash in/near the Toon this very weekend. Details [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/275287-north-east-bass-bash-gateshead-january-30th-2016/"]here[/url].

Edited by Kirky

[quote name='nomis' timestamp='1453716169' post='2961964']

For all the TTE users, how does it compare to the mini mark?
[/quote]

The Minimark has a very clean hi-fi-ish sound while the TTE's, in comparison, sound fatter with a vintage funk vibe. I used to use a DHA VT1 to fatten up the MiniMark tone and to add gain and lower mids. I didn't like my VT1 as much with an LM2 as I thought it thickened it up too much.

I much prefer the TTE's tone to the Minimark for my purposes but they both sound good.