Why become a member? ×

tech 21 bass fly rig

danbowskill

Had a proper go with it last night in a band mix. Went DI through the PA.
Sounds great. Sansamp is as you would expect. The compressor really surprised nme at how good it was. The chorus was, well, chorusy. Not something I'd use anyway. The tuner mute function is spot on. The mental filter section will get some use. Great fun and very useable wild sounds.
I got a regulated power supply which was well worth it as the supplied one is a bit buzzy.
Nice to turn up with just a gig bag.

Managed to snag one used, $400 instead of $700.

Took it to rehearsal. No amp, just the fly rig into the PA.

wowee, firstly, it fits in my gig bag's top pocket. One thing to carry !

The comp is very useable, the tuner is a bit slow, not that great, but otherwise it's a handy mute switch hehe

The boost is very handy, with it's pre/post Sansamp switch, very well thought out.

The Sansamp section is great, like a VT or a BD with mids and a character knob.

the chorus is nice, easy to use. The filter/octaver/fuzz section is a bit hard to dial in a sound at first, it has so many variables but I got some funky tones from it.

Really well built, the DI out is quiet.

The headphone out is a bonus.

all in all a great unit that has replaced my board, for size, portability and useability.

just get yourself one :)

I had one for a couple of hours, but preferred the Tech 21 Para Driver that I`d also ordered, so the Bass Fly went back. Shame, would have been great to have just the Fly to cart about but had to go with my ears.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1488460270' post='3249130']
I had one for a couple of hours, but preferred the Tech 21 Para Driver that I`d also ordered, so the Bass Fly went back. Shame, would have been great to have just the Fly to cart about but had to go with my ears.
[/quote]
What was it that made the difference Lozz - blend or mid shift or something else?

It just didn`t seem to have the same sheer "oomph" as the regular Sansamp MK1 Bass Driver - pretty much my experience with the MK2 Bass Driver as well. Noting wrong mind, just preference. The Para Driver sounds like the MK1 Bass Driver but with sweepable adjustable mids. Poifect

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1488463353' post='3249174']
It just didn`t seem to have the same sheer "oomph" as the regular Sansamp MK1 Bass Driver - pretty much my experience with the MK2 Bass Driver as well. Noting wrong mind, just preference. The Para Driver sounds like the MK1 Bass Driver but with sweepable adjustable mids. Poifect
[/quote]

I kind of know what you mean Lozz. My programmable Sansamp sounded better to my ears even without any mid control. I persisted with the Fly and now I'm happy with what comes out of it. It is probably a bit less warm to my ears but a bit more defined? Anyway. I'm enjoying the luxury of having both. I will keep the old faithful for recording as I know it does exactly what I want in the studio.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1488466647' post='3249209']
I kind of know what you mean Lozz. My programmable Sansamp sounded better to my ears even without any mid control. I persisted with the Fly and now I'm happy with what comes out of it. It is probably a bit less warm to my ears but a bit more defined? Anyway. I'm enjoying the luxury of having both. I will keep the old faithful for recording as I know it does exactly what I want in the studio.
[/quote]

Yes, in all honesty I reckon that the Fly and the MK2 will probably sit in the mix better, rather than the MK1 which seems to power it`s way through, lacking in any finesse at all. But then finesse has never been my accomplice, hence my preference for the MK1.

I've been reading the mega thread on talk bass, it gets a lot of mixed reviews. Overall quite good, but the octave and distortion seems to get a lot of negatives.
Has anyone on hear taken the plunge?
What I really want to know also, is has it got a lot of background noise/ hiss when on but not playing? I bought a vt bass pedal a while back and it hissed like crazy.
Cheers
Thebassman

Really like the look of this, the comp sounds pretty nice from the videos and the headphone out would be a massive bonus if getting an amp to the venue is too much of a hassle. I don't know why more bass DI boxes don't have one built in! I doubt I'd use the octave or filter but the chorus is a nice addition. Price seems reasonable, very tempted by one of these.

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1488753317' post='3251588']
Has anyone on hear taken the plunge?
What I really want to know also, is has it got a lot of background noise/ hiss when on but not playing? I bought a vt bass pedal a while back and it hissed like crazy.
[/quote]

Taken the plunge? Err, yes, most of the people commenting on the thread it looks like, me included. I've not noticed any marked background noise but a lot of the time this can be attributed to a poor power supply rather than the pedal itself. Come up the A14 and try mine if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

My verdict:

Compression is good; functional and musical
SansAmp seems like it would do a great job of replacing a rig or enhancing a house rig. However, if you're happy with your main rig, it won't add much. The drive/character controls are disappointing, providing a fairly nasty distortion which sounds like the speaker breaking up, in a bad way. The bite button has little discernible effect.
Chorus is basic, but very usable
Tuner works really well
OctaFilter section is by far the most impressive part, but all the available sounds are "dirty". On some settings, the fuzz button actually cleans the sound up a bit! The octave is much less effective in the higher register for some reason.The minimoog sound is amazing.

Overall disappointing as an enhancement to a live rig or a multi effect, but this isn't Tech 21's main intention. More useful as a studio device.

• 2 weeks later...

Had another spin with it last night. In a small room with loud drums. Stuck it through a multi buttoned Eden amp with eveything set flat into a 4x10 1x15 stack.
The compression really sits the bass in the mix nicely and the bite button added a touch of nice grindy clang. I used the chorus for the middle bit of a song where the guitar sits out and it sounded wonderful. Sometimes you only need one knob....
The more I use it the more I seem to get out of it. I do understand it won't work for everybody. But I'm very impressed.
The Octafilter will probably be a one song in a set thing but it's great fun to play with, It'll be a nice challenge to write a song around using it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 27/06/2017 at 15:33, dannybuoy said:

Amp sim / overdrive will piddle all over the Zoom, assuming you like the VT sound of course. The Ampeg sims in the Zooms don't really come close. All the other FX are probably on par with each other.

Now in a position to compare both. So going to do some like for likes. I do like the fly rig, but tweaking mid set in a live situation is a faff. I can get some great Envelope tones, but the octaver is pretty useless, again trying to quickly dial something in is a faff. I think the ideal may be a VT bass deluxe and zoom for the effects. Although going to persist with fly for a bit longer. There is definitely something tonally there in terms of Sansamp that the zoom although good just doesn’t quite hit the spot of the real thing. Could be the digital v analogue processing. Will update.

Edited by tonyclaret

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just read through this thread and it's been interesting hearing the experiences of others. I really like my BFR,, the simple compression and chorus controls work really well for me and the Sansamp section sounds great.

However, I've not been able to get much from the Octafilter section.. Has anyone has had success with this?  I'm trying to get a decent envelope filter effect out of it, the demo's on YouTube from Tech21 sound great but, I can't get the same intensity from mine.  I have to really dig in and even then the effect reminds reasonably subtle, especially with the range dial at 9 o clock or above.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

On 28/12/2017 at 21:34, CygnusX2112 said:

I've just read through this thread and it's been interesting hearing the experiences of others. I really like my BFR,, the simple compression and chorus controls work really well for me and the Sansamp section sounds great.

However, I've not been able to get much from the Octafilter section.. Has anyone has had success with this?  I'm trying to get a decent envelope filter effect out of it, the demo's on YouTube from Tech21 sound great but, I can't get the same intensity from mine.  I have to really dig in and even then the effect reminds reasonably subtle, especially with the range dial at 9 o clock or above.

I had a BFR for a short time and sold it on. The Sansamp, Comp and Tuner are excellent. The OctaFilter is a waste of space for me. It would have been better to have a more conventional envelope filter and independent fuzz effect. 

The other irritation I had was that the knobs kept coming off.

Check out the Valeton Bass Dapper. Chorus (superior to the BFR, it’s a Boss CE clone) and Comp are good, build quality is impressive however the amp section seems to  add too much colour but it’s EQ section is excellent for a non-sweepable type. The filter is a BassBalls clone and is more useable than the BFR but if you don’t like the distinctive quack of the B.B. it’s annoying.

The Dapper has an effects loop and would be easy to add to an existing board whereas the BFR doesn’t.

BFR and the Bass Dapper both score a very differently derived 6/10 from me. Hopefully both companies will get it closer to what’s right next time. 

Overall the concept of these effects strips is very attractive and I prefer them to programmable multi-effects especially since in both cases, SA and Valeton, they have an integral XLR/DI out unlike the Zoom B3n and new Boss unit.

The disappointments of the strips has brought me on to building a four pedal board for rehearsals and small gigs where my main board is too cumbersome.

Edited by Sean

3 hours ago, Sean said:

The other irritation I had was that the knobs kept coming off.

Luckily that is not something I've had a problem with, that would be super annoying!

3 hours ago, Sean said:

The Dapper has an effects loop and would be easy to add to an existing board whereas the BFR doesn’t.

Yes, I would have really liked an FX loop on the BFR, especially if like the boost you could select where in the chain it sat.