Why become a member? ×

tech 21 bass fly rig

danbowskill

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1455615807' post='2980623']
Tech 21 are having a laugh with this. Despite the fact I truly love their stuff and my psa 1.1 is my favourite preamp of all time, it's not enough to get away from the feeling that we're being done.

Until they sell stuff in the UK at a reasonable price or the value of the dollar sinks substantively, I'm not partaking in this.
[/quote]

Isn't it so often the case with stuff imported from the State's... It costs $200 so it costs £200. It costs $400 so it costs £400. It costs $1000 so it costs £1000... And so on. :(

[quote name='DawnPatrol1990' timestamp='1468353233' post='3090399']
A friend of mine had his Fly Rig Bass arrive today and brought it round to mine to try out. Ran it through my Hartke HA3500 and Ampeg SVT410HE, ran through a variety of different tones on it and it sounded great! couldn't have been more impressed by it. To be honest, i'm seriously considering getting rid of my rack unit and getting one of these to make things easy when travelling to far off gigs.
[/quote]

what are the chorus and octave and fuzz like, on demos it sounded sweet, Ive never used a sansamp either i would only get it for recording, but it seems like a decent all in one, just would add a phaser and already have a souce audio Envelope filter which is juicy as hell!!

Yes its a lot of money but you seem to be getting a lot of sound shaping options!!! is it good for phat funky sounds!! ???

• 3 weeks later...

Just had one delivered - online purchase from Hot Rox in Nottingham: £309 delivered. http://www.hotroxuk.com/tech-21-bass-fly-rig-multi-effects-bass-pedal.html

Really impressed with it so far and it's truly tiny but really solidly made.

Some example tones in the manual to get you started (impressed with the 'muse' tone. Small play and perfect 'Geddy' tones from the SansAmp section and the pre/post boost option (more gain pre, louder overall post) is great. The compressor is solid too - not massively intrusive mid-way on the knob and utterly rediculous cranked up. Really tasteful & simple chorus that doesn't muddy the tone or kill the low end.

[quote name='Rik (ESA)' timestamp='1470309262' post='3104937']
Yes to both! That particular section is so flexible, I wish they had a couple of slots for it as I'd set one as a clean octaver and one as a fuzzy filter, and not have to change the settings live.

The tracking on the octaver is terrific.

Cheers
Rick
[/quote]

Excellent, thanks Rick :)

Used it in anger for the first time - at rehearsal - and it's a really capable box. The charachter control on the SansAmp stage was about all I needed to tewak between songs to go from mellow (Creep, Alive, etc) to harsh (Slither, Killing in the Name), mixing the pre-boost and chorus gave a really wide range of sounds to cover off most eventualities. Didn't really play with the Envelope/Octave/Fuzz stage at all so plenty more to go at.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1468356171' post='3090435']
Isn't it so often the case with stuff imported from the State's... It costs $200 so it costs £200. It costs $400 so it costs £400. It costs $1000 so it costs £1000... And so on. :(
[/quote]

Just to be clear we don't set the prices in Europe and actually make less money on our product shipped there. There are import duties, the cost of shipping from the states and VAT that our European Distributors have to pass on to the consumer. They in turn have to ship to dealers which adds additional cost.

For some perspective, I've had a couple of Lehle pedals. My Dual SGoS costs $349 US here. Thomann sells it for 238 Euros which is $269 US.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1470404259' post='3105791']
Used it in anger for the first time - at rehearsal - and it's a really capable box. The charachter control on the SansAmp stage was about all I needed to tewak between songs to go from mellow (Creep, Alive, etc) to harsh (Slither, Killing in the Name), mixing the pre-boost and chorus gave a really wide range of sounds to cover off most eventualities. Didn't really play with the Envelope/Octave/Fuzz stage at all so plenty more to go at.
[/quote]

How did you use it? Straight to pa? Front of amp?

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1471609687' post='3114424']
In front of amp - eq set flat (markbass BigBang)
[/quote]

Would be interested in hearing your feedback using it as a DI straight to FOH if you can be arsed. how the dirt and octaver translates into the PA.

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1471531653' post='3113744']

Just to be clear we don't set the prices in Europe and actually make less money on our product shipped there. There are import duties, the cost of shipping from the states and VAT that our European Distributors have to pass on to the consumer. They in turn have to ship to dealers which adds additional cost.

For some perspective, I've had a couple of Lehle pedals. My Dual SGoS costs $349 US here. Thomann sells it for 238 Euros which is $269 US.
[/quote]

Yeah, fair enough about import tax and VAT, but are you actually trying to justify the fact that your Dug Pinnick amp is $1800 in the US and £2200 over here?!! When I worked that out before brexit I grant you that made it £900 more expensive over here. So much so that I could fly to New York, pick one up from your factory and still have change for a transformer with cash left over when I got back.

Which is all a great pity as you make really good gear. I would have thought you'd have some control of prices though.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1471613536' post='3114464']
Would be interested in hearing your feedback using it as a DI straight to FOH if you can be arsed. how the dirt and octaver translates into the PA.
[/quote]

I don't generally play any gigs big enough to cover that and usually DI pre-eq from the Markbass amp on the few occasions it's been required. One of my bands is playing a local festival soonish so will update after that.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1471619792' post='3114556']
Yeah, fair enough about import tax and VAT, but are you actually trying to justify the fact that your Dug Pinnick amp is $1800 in the US and £2200 over here?!! When I worked that out before brexit I grant you that made it £900 more expensive over here. So much so that I could fly to New York, pick one up from your factory and still have change for a transformer with cash left over when I got back.

Which is all a great pity as you make really good gear. I would have thought you'd have some control of prices though.
[/quote]

In Europe the product is sold to a distributor and then sold to dealers. Kind of like my Lehle example. That product is sold to a distributor here and then sold to dealers. In the US we sell directly to dealers and we have MAP pricing. There is no middle man or extra shipping. We can't dictate what European dealers charge for their products. I'm sure they base it on a number of factors. It's a drag but we don't dictate prices over there. I think in part this is due to the fact that the US is so large and competitive. We do have sales tax from state to state but if I buy a product from California and have it shipped here to the east coast there is no sales tax. Now if its from a big company like Apple Computer that sells in every state there will be a tax. Plus the shipping will vary as well. Some of the bigger online retailers operate on such small margins they have to sell a ton of stuff to make any profit. That's really hard for a small dealer to compete with. Even here it's hard. Years back I worked for a small music store. We would sell something like a Yamaha keyboard at the standard discount and 6 months later the bigger retailers would be selling it below our cost to blow them out and we'd be stuck. We stopped carrying certain products for that reason.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1477509680' post='3162724']
I was thinking of buying a Bass Driver when I saw this. Am I right in thinking everything you can do with a BD you can do with this plus the extra effects?
[/quote]

This doesn't have the blend function or the frequency selection for bass and mid, but primarily the same.

Character is essentially a mid control placed before the overdrive section.

If you want grit, just turn the gain down - with the gain low, you can even have cleans at 100% blend. Mild overdrive always sounds best fully wet IMHO as long as there's enough low end - the blend is only useful to me at high gain where all that crunch robs your signal of low end and dynamics.

Edited by dannybuoy

Shame they didn't see fit to seperate out the octave, fuzz & envelope onto seperate footswitches, way more useful than a boost (lazy inclusion from someone with a guitar mindset) & chorus.
Still a nice piece of gear, but couldn't replace a good setup of individuals for me at the mo, shame.

My guitarist friend has the Richie Kotzen one and loves it!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1477940674' post='3165430']
Shame they didn't see fit to seperate out the octave, fuzz & envelope onto seperate footswitches, way more useful than a boost (lazy inclusion from someone with a guitar mindset) & chorus.
Still a nice piece of gear, but couldn't replace a good setup of individuals for me at the mo, shame.

My guitarist friend has the Richie Kotzen one and loves it!

Si
[/quote]

The concept for the Bass Fly Rig was a small portable solution for "fly dates" or for players that get stuck using back line gear that does not deliver the sound they require. It was not meant to be a be all and end all replacement for your dream rig. It can be used in conjunction with your main rig to easily add some extra utility. The main focus was the analog engine. The Octafilter section was more of a bonus effect to utilize some of the leftover DSP power from the chorus section. To add switches for the Octafilter section would increase the size of the unit, the cost and would also necessitate extra controls for each section and there is not enough DSP power to do that. The Boost section has been requested by a number of bass players and it also gives more flexibility for those that wish to run a cleaner overall sound and add distortion to that sound or use the boost for extra output to either punctuate a passage or give extra level for a solo section.