Why become a member? ×

Unexpected models from Ernie Ball Musicman

Musicman20

I like the look of both Cutlass P and Caprice. I think there is a niche for a well made EBMM P bass/PJ Bass, if aimed at the right price segment...The hardware and necks look good from the descriptions (P bass nut width and C profile on the CUtass; Sterling neck profile and Jazz nut width on the Caprice), both are alder bodies; big +1 there. I like 21 frets on both; I always felt 20 frets was just a little short sighted. I like the headstocks. EBMM QC is excellent.

The pickguards aren't quite right, the the Caprice body shape is a little funky, but if the price is good...

These could do well, if priced correctly. Under the £1000 mark is IMO ok; over that and I'd probably pick a Fender.

Pete

NB I do notice the Caprice upper horn goes just to 12th fret and it has an undersized body...might give a balance issue for some, esp as headstock larger compared to usual EBMM basses. Fender got it right with getting the upper horn strap button to sitting in between 12th and 11th frets. Just IMO...

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1454004102' post='2965324']
I fully expect the price in dollars to be the same number in sterling.
[/quote]

Me too. I suspect they will hit the > £1000 mark (maybe around £1200?), and correspondingly do poorly against the competing Fender models. Just IMO, though

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread

The caprice has been around for a while and I have serious GAS for one

Anyone been using one for a while and have any comments to make?

I already have a sterling, like this p/up and combination and the jazz style neck, the diamond blue is a great looking bass

Or do I pull the trigger on another P/J bass?

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 13:23, sshorepunk said:

Resurrecting this old thread

The caprice has been around for a while and I have serious GAS for one

Anyone been using one for a while and have any comments to make?

I already have a sterling, like this p/up and combination and the jazz style neck, the diamond blue is a great looking bass

Or do I pull the trigger on another P/J bass?

Cheers

Tony

I have a Caprice. It is extremely comfortable and very versatile. It certainly captures that classic p-bass vibe. That being said, it certainly feels like a much more modern instrument in comparison. Not to mention the addition of the bridge pickup makes it extremely versatile. It has more growl than most traditional j style single coils, and SOUNDS like what you would expect from Music Man. I've been very pleased. 

I had a Caprice about this time last year and, ironically traded it for a Sterling.

I can't argue that it was a well made bass and had a lovely passive sound, for me however I found the output a little on the light side which I didn't expect and it lacked the punch I normally associate with a EBMM.  The weight was around 8lbs but the larger headstock meant it had neck dive which gives me a problem with my shoulder (rotator cuff issue) so all in all it had to go.

I still have the Sterling.......and let my passive bass needs make do with my Mustangs.

Edited by martthebass

• 4 weeks later...