Why become a member? ×

Unexpected models from Ernie Ball Musicman

Musicman20

I like the MM body shape, I like the headstock and I like the sound, but I have always hated the oval scratchplate. I was hopeful that they might do something better with these, and although I don't like the 'Precision' shape, the other one nearly, nearly does it-except for the little 'tail' where the controls are. Reminds me of a Fender Mustang, and I don't like them either. Close, for me, but no cigar.

The Caprice looks like a Pbass cross Sterling. Imo they look like very cheap basses. have they run out of ideas.? they are probably very well made but do nothing for my eye. I think they need to think more innovative, i don't like the Bongo. but its different and they were trying. thats what matters.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1453393813' post='2959113'] As for the Caprice and Cutlass basses[/quote]
Don't understand the logic behind using the Cutlass name when it already has a legendary reputation. Part of me is wondering whether its a fairly cynical attempt to take advantage of existing search engine rankings.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1453525782' post='2960309']
Don't understand the logic behind using the Cutlass name when it already has a legendary reputation. Part of me is wondering whether its a fairly cynical attempt to take advantage of existing search engine rankings.
[/quote]
Well, objectively, Musicman is after all a business venture which operates on the basis of selling large amounts of their product and generating as much profit as possible.

Because we are all emotionally invested into our instruments and preferred brand it is easy to lose sight of this.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1453550859' post='2960444']
Well, objectively, Musicman is after all a business venture which operates on the basis of selling large amounts of their product and generating as much profit as possible.

Because we are all emotionally invested into our instruments and preferred brand it is easy to lose sight of this.
[/quote]
Is that a convoluted way of saying you don't know...? :/

It seems that manufacturers can't have a NAMM or MusikMesse come around without having something 'new' to show off. These offerings from MM are definitely not for me, especially at what I can only suppose will be £1k+ prices.

Has anyone looked at the guitars (sorry)? The Stingray is...well you decide http://blog.music-man.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SRG-crop.jpg

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1453553455' post='2960472']
It seems that manufacturers can't have a NAMM or MusikMesse come around without having something 'new' to show off. These offerings from MM are definitely not for me, especially at what I can only suppose will be £1k+ prices.

Has anyone looked at the guitars (sorry)? The Stingray is...well you decide http://blog.music-man.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SRG-crop.jpg
[/quote]

20 odd years ago when I used to play guitar in an indie band I reckon I'd have quite fancied one of those. Slightly unusual looking retro style guitars were all the rage.

Probably not for £1500+ though.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1453388338' post='2959041']
Sadly I think EBMM may have come to the conclusion that although the Ray will always be a popular bass, the market is currently swaying towards indie bands playing passive P and J basses. The huge popularity of the P bass (yes, it has always been a popular bass, and probably the one we all associate with electric bass, but recently the whole superjazz popularity has dropped for a simple P bass) is probably something they wanted to experiment with.

If the tone Is anything like the Big Al in passive mode, they could be excellent.
[/quote]

a big fat 100% agree!

[b][size=1](better write ihis in your diary :) first time I agree to your post haha)[/size][/b]

I look at this from a different prospective. I am convinced that this is Sterling Ball (aka Big Poppa) finally giving in to the pressure and so releasing something that the majority of his devoted forum members have been asking him for years and years! If you look back, there's 100's of threads in the EBMM forum that "say when are you going to do a split P style bass?" at the risk of being slated, banned and / or ridiculed, Personally I don't care for the name on the headstock if it's a good bass as I truly expect it would be, I reckon it will do well.

Their bigger challenge, in order to compete with the rest of the market share, would be the pricing of it and EBMM better think hard and well on how much to ask for these if they want to sell them because if you or me at this moment in time were in the market for a good built passive American Standard quality Fender Precision, (and I know how good these are as I've got one right here) the only deciding factor is how much do they cost when you think a Fender AM/Standard is around £1100

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1453980914' post='2964850']
It doesn't let me quote for some reason (might be the work PC) but I also agree with you! If they hit the price of around £1100-1200 they could compete...hmmm.
[/quote]

I think they're quoted at around $1600 in the USA.

What is exciting about these is that most people who picked one up at NAMM said they are great - feel, playability etc. They obviously know how to make a great P bass sound as well as my Classic Sabre, in single coil neck pick up mode really sounds the part. And the SSS Big Al was a pretty decent bass.

So the combination of EBMM quality, playability and engineering should mean these things are quite special - love those cool blue and red colours as well. It appears the Valentine guitar made best in show as well.

Now call me daft but I'm gassing for a 40th Anniversary Old Smoothie - but I was already gassing for a natural Classic Ray as well - do you think they'll give me a good deal if I order both - whichever - it'll be cheaper than if I arrange a visit to Mr Baxters - as has also been on my mind .......