Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

Funny, I fancy HRH, but only for the first half or so of the bands. Bigger they get, less interesting they seem to be for me! Really need to get down and watch both of you guys at some point!

Edited by Kev

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1486590856' post='3233152']
Come down Kev, be cool to meet ya. There are some amazing bands away from the main stage later night larger bands if they ain't your bag.

Anyway back on topic... I really wanna hear this amp in person up close and personal. I'd love to a b it against my svt.
[/quote]

I probably wont be able to make it bud :(

Ill be using mine in the M2TM semi's at Arches Coventry and an all dayer at the Roadhouse in April ;)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1484956730' post='3220080']
Interesting about the movement. All of my recent Class D amps had that issue (tecamp/Aguilar/GK) but the Darkglass has more weight to it and thus far has stayed put! I'll use this story when I turn it up louder at the weekend... ;)
[/quote]

My Puma 900 came with a little mesh mat that stops any movement

Don't feed the troll! ;)

Some people think that the sound and 'heft' of a 'Class D' amp head is down to the power module alone. Those people are wrong, but as owners of amps such as the M900, we can smile and move on :D

Jon, how did the gig go? Sorry again I couldn't make it!

The older class D amps were souped up mono hi-fi amplifiers. Never liked any of them.
This one is rather interesting. My 500w Tech21 doesn't go loud enough with a Barefaced bigtwin II.
I just wonder if 900w will be enough to keep up with my 250w all valve head, which can get insanely loud.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1486859574' post='3235157']
The older class D amps were souped up mono hi-fi amplifiers. Never liked any of them.
This one is rather interesting. My 500w Tech21 doesn't go loud enough with a Barefaced bigtwin II.
I just wonder if 900w will be enough to keep up with my 250w all valve head, which can get insanely loud.
[/quote]

Don't read too much into wattage :) I don't pretend to understand the physics with this kind of stuff, but my Aguilar 500w head was not as loud or powerful sounding as a GK MB 500w head. In a similar sense, my tecamp 900w head was not as loud or powerful as this Darkglass head. Again, lots more goes into how a head sounds and how much it puts out of the speaker than just the power module itself, Class a/b and Class d alike. Look at Trace Elliot, I don't think anyone would suggest that any modern class a/b or d amp could match it watt for watt.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1486859574' post='3235157']
[/quote]

What cabs are you driving with that?

I run my M900 with dual TKS W2126 (two twelves and a six, 4 ohm cabs). This stack gets very loud. I also have a Mesa M9. I haven't A/B tested them for max volume, but there really is no need. Both are more than enough. The guitarist plays a Marshall tube amp with a 4x12, a noisy drummer, sometimes with a second guitarist on a 4x10 and I am barely tapping into the M900s potential.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1486860998' post='3235162']

Don't read too much into wattage :) I don't pretend to understand the physics with this kind of stuff, but my Aguilar 500w head was not as loud or powerful sounding as a GK MB 500w head. In a similar sense, my tecamp 900w head was not as loud or powerful as this Darkglass head. Again, lots more goes into how a head sounds and how much it puts out of the speaker than just the power module itself, Class a/b and Class d alike. Look at Trace Elliot, I don't think anyone would suggest that any modern class a/b or d amp could match it watt for watt.
[/quote]
Agreed - mum EBS HD350 is louder than most other much higher wattage amps that I have played. And the same ICE module that is in this DG head is in my Kemper - and that can get pretty serious too.

• 1 month later...

What cabs have you tried with the Darkglass M900 amp? What did you like? Any combination you didn't like?
We tried the TKS W2126 which I like, and the Mesa Subways (112 & 115), which was less successful.

Edited by bjelkeman

• 1 month later...

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1489792907' post='3260007']
What cabs have you tried with the Darkglass M900 amp? What did you like? Any combination you didn't like?
We tried the TKS W2126 which I like, and the Mesa Subways (112 & 115), which was less successful.
[/quote]

I boost lows a little bit, cut lower mids @ 250hz and boost the high mids + treble to get the most out of my Barefaced Big Twin II. With these EQ settings all my basses sound great through the m900. I suppose it simply comes down to adjusting EQ to get the most out of whatever cab you bring. The amp is flexible enough.

Edited by DiMarco

@DiMarco that's not a half bad solution!

Can I ask what size pedalboard you have to squeeze in there, as I think I have one lurking around at home somewhere.

For the moment I have a Fusion DJ mixbag which stores the amp, and all cables et pretty easily, but is too snug for a pedalboard

saw one of these in my local PMT, sat in a glass case looking very fine
I'm on a streamliner right now, I like it, but sometimes I miss the top end zing of a more modern sounding amp, but my jazz does sound good with it
Was thinking the genzler megaton would be a good move, but aint got round to having a listen yet, so for any of you guys who have heard the streamliner and played this, whats your opinion

Tony

The pedalboard is roughly 39x25cm. It holds two rows of 4 standard size pedals.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1493063368' post='3285358']
Can I ask what size pedalboard you have to squeeze in there, as I think I have one lurking around at home somewhere.

For the moment I have a Fusion DJ mixbag which stores the amp, and all cables et pretty easily, but is too snug for a pedalboard
[/quote]

Edited by DiMarco