Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

To avoid any confusion here, you cannot run the B3K AND the vintage circuit with the new switch, it is still one or the other and pressing one switch turns the other off. This is why I don't understand why they need to be separate switches, function would be basically identical with one , just smaller and simpler?

Edited by Kev

As I see it going from B7K to Clean to VMT needs 2 footswitch presses with Doug's implementation. With Your idea Kev you'd need 3 wouldn't you (one to go to clean, one to change between B7K and VMT settings and a third to engage the dirt). Personally I also think it's pointless as you're highly unlikely to want to use the B7K and VMT circuits with the same settings...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1484220823' post='3213614']
I don't understand this.

If you have a clean switch, and a second switch that switches between B3K and Vintage, how will having 3 switches make changing sounds easier?
[/quote]
Ah - I assumed you wanted a mute and then 1 to cycle the tones.

Still, I like separate ones though. Less chance of engaging the wrong thing.

Yes, I'm saying 3 will do it for almost all scenarios. Clean/Dirt, B3K/VMT, Mute. I agree that in the four switch format it may require one less stomp if the switching is automatic, to go B3K - Clean - VMT. Do we think stomping on a B3K or VMT switch will automatically switch dirt on? If so, I get it now :) I didn't look at it that way :)

I would not have a use for it anyway as I like the tiny footprint of the included footswitch and I would never use the B3K and Vintage with the same settings.

Edited by Kev

I recognise your points, but you a can have a bit of fun with the amp on the Same settings between both circuits if you are stacking and have different pedals in front DG or not as you will get different effects, i know i could potentially see it working without changing any dials on the amp

same here, i have been wanting to switch between all 3 settings, just adding different levels of drive is useful especially using the VMT when just wanting to thicken things up when a dual lead harmony is going on and then still have the ability go full on b3k to make any particular parts jump out of the mix.
yeah a separate eq would be great but to be honest the drive section sounds great without the need for it for me.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1484237735' post='3213864']
same here, i have been wanting to switch between all 3 settings, just adding different levels of drive is useful especially using the VMT when just wanting to thicken things up when a dual lead harmony is going on and then still have the ability go full on b3k to make any particular parts jump out of the mix.
yeah a separate eq would be great but to be honest the drive section sounds great without the need for it for me.
[/quote]

I use different EQ, Drive and Blend settings from my fave B3K tone and Vintage, as such I rarely use the Vintage circuit as it isn't practical for me. But, if you do use the same settings for both, I can certainly see the footswitch's uses.

Picked mine up from Bass Direct (Mark was excellent ... again) and gigged last week. This is by far the best amp I have ever played by a mile. I like a bit of growl and had the vintage Chanel about 1/2 way up and about a third way up for the blend. The power and presence of this amp is superb and my '73 P sounded incredible. Will put my Jazz through for tomorrow's gig.

The only thing I had to watch is when I sat the head on top of my speakers the vibrations was causing the head to move so I had to insert a bit of foam between speaker and cab. I was loud but the amp and the context for the band I'm in was superb.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' timestamp='1484940861' post='3219952']
Picked mine up from Bass Direct (Mark was excellent ... again) and gigged last week. This is by far the best amp I have ever played by a mile. I like a bit of growl and had the vintage Chanel about 1/2 way up and about a third way up for the blend. The power and presence of this amp is superb and my '73 P sounded incredible. Will put my Jazz through for tomorrow's gig.

The only thing I had to watch is when I sat the head on top of my speakers the vibrations was causing the head to move so I had to insert a bit of foam between speaker and cab. I was loud but the amp and the context for the band I'm in was superb.
[/quote]

Interesting about the movement. All of my recent Class D amps had that issue (tecamp/Aguilar/GK) but the Darkglass has more weight to it and thus far has stayed put! I'll use this story when I turn it up louder at the weekend...;)

Edited by Kev

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1478191873' post='3167452']
Found a cracking little case (by skeleton case) for those on the lookout for something suitable. It has pick foam innards and seems fairly heavy duty. Not bad for £45.

[attachment=231384:20161103_164734.jpg]
[attachment=231385:20161103_171248.jpg]
[/quote]

Cheers for the heads up on this, just got one and it works a treat.

[quote name='Bearfist' timestamp='1485793827' post='3226725']
Cheers for the heads up on this, just got one and it works a treat.
[/quote]

How are you finding the Darkglass bud? I see its replaced the Mesa?

I hav just bought a Berg CN212, look forward to giving it a blast with the DG in rehearsal tomorrow :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1486251800' post='3230424']
How are you finding the Darkglass bud? I see its replaced the Mesa?

I hav just bought a Berg CN212, look forward to giving it a blast with the DG in rehearsal tomorrow :)
[/quote]

Those cabs are lovely mate, should be a killer combo. :)

Honestly it took some time before i started to click with this, really disappointing on its first use, couldn't dial anything in i liked anywhere near as much as the Mesa and the B7K together. Still not really finding it to great with my P's but after some time with it and with the Dingwalls oh god yes its good, two shows in and a few rehearsals now and i get it, its great it really is, and loud, really really loud!

I actually think the Mesa for me is a better amp but i'm getting some great tones now and the convenience of no pedal board is what i was after.

Oh yeah did i mention its loud!?! Doing my fist big stage with it Saturday at Birmingham O2 so will finally get to open it up properly.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1486415830' post='3231644']
@Bearfist glad you are liking the amp. I need to spend a heap more time with mine to get it right, and as someone who has helped you make your pedal board smaller by buying your gear, I say blow the roof off the O2!
[/quote]

Thanks Cuzzie, I'm certainly gonna try.

Hope the SS is serving you well?