Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1481282047' post='3191147']
Just listened to that Andertons video; weirdly I thought the clean sound on the amp sounded really good but the over-drive stuff sounded woeful - reminded me of those Line6 Spider guitar amps from the early 00's. Strange because I was expecting the clean to be the weak point as Darkglass are more known for their distortion/over-driven sound in pedals.

Maybe it was just the settings that guy (not the one playing the bass - I think he's normally a guitarist) was using. I'd still give one a go if I'm in a shop but maybe less likely to rush down & hear one.
[/quote]

PLEASE do not base your judgement on either of the Microtubes circuit on that. If used correctly, its superb and does not sound anything like Line 6 has ever produced. :)

The microtubes engine of the amp actually sounds better to my ears than the pedals. The tone control is very, very useful for both circuits, but in particular the B3K.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1481295043' post='3191316']
You have to remember also that EBS are quite coloured cabs, they put them together as they are Scandinavian-ish companies which is not the right reason!
If I were you I would rush and try but have the time to sit with your bass and your idea of a sound
[/quote]
Umm. Kinda. Coloured in the highs, yes - super hyped, but nothing that can't be tweaked by the tweeter control on the rear. They sound more like PA cabs (which are meant to be uncoloured) compared to most bass cabs... which are more heavily coloured to have a bias in the mids.

Running demos with different cabs is kind of fruitless as a cab has a major effect on the resulting tone. The only thing that can be deemed fair in an amp demo, is running the cab that the manufacturer themselves have been using whilst developing the sound of the amp... whether that is of their own manufacture or not - as that is the benchmark that the designer has been using and tuning their product with.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1481647189' post='3194016']

Umm. Kinda. Coloured in the highs, yes - super hyped, but nothing that can't be tweaked by the tweeter control on the rear. They sound more like PA cabs (which are meant to be uncoloured) compared to most bass cabs... which are more heavily coloured to have a bias in the mids.

Running demos with different cabs is kind of fruitless as a cab has a major effect on the resulting tone. The only thing that can be deemed fair in an amp demo, is running the cab that the manufacturer themselves have been using whilst developing the sound of the amp... whether that is of their own manufacture or not - as that is the benchmark that the designer has been using and tuning their product with.
[/quote]

Point taken and no you cant run demos with multiple cabs, that would be too much, but was just trying to rationale the sound heard for an earlier persons comments, and it probably wasn't tweaked. They did just say we chose this cab as it is scandinavian.....which is not great, and they should highlight its strengths and weaknesses as not everyone will know as much as you do about the cabs.

The key to that demo though was the lack of proper use of the EQ section and just flagrant knob twiddling

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1483188410' post='3205293']
i cant seem to find a price for the bag anywhere
[/quote]

Only just announced, sure prices will be along shortly.

I doubt Ill get it if it is on a par with other amp branded bags price wise, however if its reasonable I certainly will. My backpack is padded and a surprisingly good fit and works just fine, so I don't technically need it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1484131313' post='3212852']
Its marketing.
[/quote]

Yes and no. It's intelligent compared to other footswitches as it uses a standard guitar cable to send specific signals for the microcontroller in the amp to interpret.

Not sure what makes it SUPER intelligent though...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1484131313' post='3212852']
Its marketing.
[/quote]
[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1484134434' post='3212880']
Yes and no. It's intelligent compared to other footswitches as it uses a standard guitar cable to send specific signals for the microcontroller in the amp to interpret.

Not sure what makes it SUPER intelligent though...
[/quote]

Because the standard footswitch is the Intelligent Footswitch. Intelligent Footswitch 2 doesn't really have the same ring... ;)

One thing I want to pick Doug's brain about is why he went for a four switch foot pedal. I don't see any reason why the Vintage and B3K switches needed to be separate. One switch that just operated like the switch on the amp would work, and a smaller footprint as a result.

Edited by Kev

Definitely 4 switches, being able to select the VMT circuit and b3k circuit separately is a must I think and makes the amp way more flexible, and may do themselves out of pedal sales except for the fact that stacking the pedals is a heap of fun....
VMT into a B7K back into a VMT/B3K circuit on the amp could be interesting.....

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1484162819' post='3213224']
Presumably because some will want to use 3 tones in a tune.

Cycling 3 usually means having to go past 1 you don't want at that time. It also means having to change ahead of the beat too.
[/quote]

I don't understand this.

If you have a clean switch, and a second switch that switches between B3K and Vintage, how will having 3 switches make changing sounds easier?