Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1457194978' post='2996262']
Opticaleye

I was led to believe that the first run had the B&O analogue power modules - since production went to Asia there were some changes (not better or worse just different) which could be reflected in the 801. I've no point of reference only in the gear I have and to me the big rig wins ...not that the punters notice the difference :)
[/quote]

They've always advertised their power amp models as proprietary (Markbass Proprietary Technology, MPT) and the TTE's certainly as their own design (Tube Technology Emulator).
I've never had the feeling that the MB's lacked power or dynamics (although the LM2/3 can run out of steam at 8ohms). I used to run a Sansamp RBI into a bridged QSC RMX850 and my LM2 seemed much more powerful. Whenever I've tried the ICE module amps they have always seemed a bit "flat" to me in comparison.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1457088567' post='2995139']
I do wish I liked the Darkglass 'take' on overdrive/tubes being pushed etc. I always revisit what they have coming out but everything seems to sound like modern metal, which isn't my thing. I still think the VT Bass and Sansamp BDDI are the best for that type of tone, IMO....but I like the Darkglass approach and innovation.
[/quote]

I have been stacking a Darkglass Duality with a Sansamp BDDI and Aguilar Agro using an old seventies Precision.

I'm not into the B3K type default 'modern metal' setting either though. Haven't tried one myself though yet. Sansamp will always be the king for 'Ampeg in a box' tone but I do like that Darkglass are trying something different.

• 4 weeks later...

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ive just gone back to using a Darkglass VMT, although ill never get rid of my VTBass DI.[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Although ive not used it at gig volume yet im hoping the VMT will be a bit more versatile than the VTBass, due to how the Era and drive knobs can be tweaked without a jump in output level. To me this is a killer feature, and one i missed immediately when i sold my VMTD last year. I dont need full on distortion, nor really over drive, but i like how the VMT can change the overall character of an amp. I want warm and tick, but also thinner and more articulate during my sets. It does have a character of its own, and if im honest i prefer the VTBass with my Markbass head, but the MB800 is cleaner and punchier and i feel it can take a small hit on the brightness scale. To my ears the VTBass is just a bit too lively with the MB800 for what i want.[/font]

• 5 months later...

[quote name='JohnR' timestamp='1474367231' post='3137387']
Darkglass day is here. I am so excited about this amp.

[url="http://darkglass.com/microtubes-900/"]http://darkglass.com/microtubes-900/[/url]
[/quote]

So Doug went all Genz Benz and found a way of making that ICE700ASC pump out 900W? Or is there a new B&O module i haven't heard of?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1474380422' post='3137514']

Yep, i believe that the D800 and at least also the Magellan800 state that in their specs, both use the same (...ahem... ) ICE.
[/quote]

Does it appear that Genz left the minimum at 2.7 ohm/800W, and Darkglass somehow learnt how to cool the module to drive it to the extreme for 2 ohm/900w?

Hmmm.

It is also stretching into the realms of pretty expensive micro amps. I would have thought these types of amps would start to become a little cheaper over time, (despite inflation and Brexit) as almost everyone is now targeting the world of micro amps!

At that price I'd opt for the Mesa.

It could be that these are hand assembled in Finland?

EDIT - It seems Andertons have these for £769 and they are $999 in the USA....so actually we get a fairly fair price here.

Edited by Musicman20

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1453498373' post='2960167']
Don't forget 'proper power amp' and 'big iron'.
[/quote]

And don't forget thump thud girth and slam.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1474382977' post='3137540']
(...)

It could be that these are hand assembled in Finland?
[/quote]

That's an interesting thought. We shouldn't forget the difference between "hand built" and "hand assembled".

These new micro-amps that are popping up from every manufacturer are in fact assembled from a hand full of parts that are outsourced to other builders.
In example, my Alembic F1X preamp is hand built, when i look inside i can see all the components and manual solderings. With modern PCB designs and SMD components we get robots bulding and populating the PCB's at a faster rate.

This kind of thing should make the finish product cheaper but it doesn't seem to be the case when we look at current RRP's. I was hoping that this recent boom of Class-D/SMPS micro amps from almost every manufacturer would bring some price drops but, in the end of the day we're bassplayers and we all suffer from tunnel vision syndrome everytime we see something advertised as "boutique"...

if this had come in around £250 less than it is, i would have considered it as a backup to my SVT2 as i just love that Darkglass tone. At that price and knowing what wimpy power unit that is still being flogged to us i think i will keep passing on the class D thing until we start seeing some of the pro ones that get used in higher class PA amps (crown etc) coming over to us to use.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1474386703' post='3137581']
if this had come in around £250 less than it is, i would have considered it as a backup to my SVT2 as i just love that Darkglass tone. At that price and knowing what wimpy power unit that is still being flogged to us i think i will keep passing on the class D thing until we start seeing some of the pro ones that get used in higher class PA amps (crown etc) coming over to us to use.
[/quote]

The Quilter uses an uprated (for bass) power module based on QSC's K series power amp. Also ok for 2.5ohm use (2ohm if not pushed to extremes).

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1474281937' post='3136713']
Ah man.

For ages Doug was on facebook saying there wouldn't be a fan. Now there is one.

I hate fan noise with a passion I usually reserve for baked beans. I just can't have fan noise when playing with un-amplified woodwind instruments.
[/quote]

He has put a lot of work into the cooling system though to ensure that it only spins up when it needs to with variable speed. Unlike the Aguilar TH500 that comes on full blast after 10 minutes sat idle! So don't discount it until you've tried it or seen some reviews! I can't think of an amp I've tried that doesn't have a fan except the AD200.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1474390308' post='3137629']

He has put a lot of work into the cooling system though to ensure that it only spins up when it needs to with variable speed. Unlike the Aguilar TH500 that comes on full blast after 10 minutes sat idle! So don't discount it until you've tried it or seen some reviews! I can't think of an amp I've tried that doesn't have a fan except the AD200.
[/quote]

Tecamp Puma 300 and 500 don't have fans. No does the PJB new head

Edited by fretmeister

The Demeter VTBP M 800 D does not have a fan. But it is double height and has a beefy heatsink. But it is still small in the grand scheme of things and no fan makes me very happy.

Acoustic Image amps also do not have fans and the beefier ones happily go down to 2 Ohms.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the interest and questions. It's been a hectic year to say the least, with the last 8 weeks being borderline insane, I love it, but am also constantly running around helping out the different teams regarding the amplifier, from manufacturing, to logistics, marketing and strategy.

Keep posting your questions, I'm super grateful for all the interest and curiosity, I'll make sure to pop by as soon as my schedule allows and answer some of them!

Now time for some dinner, hit the sack, tomorrow will be a big day!

Doug.