Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Microtubes Head

Daz39

I love the look of this, it looks like an old Bang & Olufsen hi-fi amp my dad used to have. If it is a good clean amp and not just about a range of overdrive/distortion sounds then I am am seriously interested. The only issue I can see is that it looks too pretty and I would be so scared of knocking and scratching it. maybe some kind of padded case to keep it in at gigs would be in order.

I shudder at what the price might be, but this thing seems superb and Doug is really excited about it. It's the most ambitious project they have taken on and I hope it really works out for them.

Foot-switchable B3K and Vintage citcuits, too...

I'm sure the technology is great but could they have made it look anymore generic class-D? Saying that, I don't even have any suggestions; just seems like every amp that comes out at the moment is a plain box with some knobs on the front - I can't think of an amp since the Orange Bass Terror that had any kind of interesting design (maybe with Warwick LWA amps too actually). I'd like to see an amp that sounds great (which I'm sure his will) but looks stylish too (like how TKS are doing it with their cabs [kind of]).

It certainly looks Apple inspired, as many things are unfortunately.

I agree with one of the above posts stating that there is not much going on visually. I would have liked an original and quirky design from Doug and the guys at Darkglass. This is too simple and meh for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Darkglass and was an endorser way at the beggining a few years ago.

Looking forward for the price tag and sound demos.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1453375321' post='2958828']
(...)

The small/high powered amp market is becoming very crowded!
[/quote]

And prices don't seem to be dropping. Shoudn't class-D with amps being put together with computer soldered SMD PCB's and sharing generic OEM parts in the PSU and power-amp modules be way more cheaper by now? The only real R&D seems to be on the preamps and they don't vary as much also.

We're, again, paying for the brand...