Why become a member? ×

Trujillo's Jaco movie

keefbaker

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1453208679' post='2957372']
Not seen another thread about this so I thought I'd start one. Managed to watch the first half last night (busy day) and it's really good so far. Anybody else got this yet?
[/quote]

My son has it and I watched it with him. I thought it was very good. We both thought it inspired picking up a bass and playing - especially the excerpts from the instructional video with Jerry Jemmott.

Yeah I've got it and I've watched it twice. Excellently made film which gives just about as much insight as you need into his life. drT above is right - I wanted to pick my bass up right away whilst watching it..

I'd also say, if you haven't had the time / inclination to get into Jaco before now, it's a great place to start and really does give a good insight into why he is held in such high esteem by so many...

Love Jaco, had trouble getting the DVD as they kept pushing the UK release date back.

I bit the bullet, and ordered the blu-ray from Amazon US - good price as it turned out. Got it in under a week.

Lo and behold, it finally was available in on the UK site 3 days after mine arrived.

....and I've not even watched it yet!! :(

Got my long weekend from work this week, and we're not gigging, so it's going to be a Jaco-fest chez Spongebob! B)

Edited by spongebob

I've got it and really enjoyed it. I ended up getting Joni Mitchell's live DVD with Jaco on the back of seeing the footage on the Jaco DVD. Both excellent; in fact I really enjoyed Jaco's playing with Joni Mitchell a lot..very tasteful and inspirational :)

I
[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1453224001' post='2957611']
Love Jaco, had trouble getting the DVD as they kept pushing the UK release date back.

I bit the bullet, and ordered the blu-ray from Amazon US - good price as it turned out. Got it in under a week.
[/quote]

I went that route as well.
It really is a great watch.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1453208803' post='2957374']
Was there any aimless noodling in it? :ph34r:
[/quote]

Yep - about seven hours of it. I had this film inflicted on me - felt like about a week I won't get back.

Guess you have to buy into the whole jazz thing.

I was at the London screening in November, managed to get the very last ticket for that. Some of the big names came to watch too (Dave Swift, Janek Gwizdala, Status Quo's Rhino etc). I really loved it. I sure am "into Jaco" and always have been, but I'm pretty sure the film will be a very enjoyable watch to anyone interested in music, and/or in documentaries.
Got the DVD recently too, and watched the "extras" disc, which contains many more interviews not included in the main feature.

Watched this last night and thought it was extremely sad, particularly with respect to the impact of his deterioration and early death on his family. In my view, the focus was on these aspects rather than his musical impact when he was in his prime. I'm not saying that it's not a good documentary, but it's certainly not an easy watch.

I haven't watched the second disc yet, which may have more of his music on it.

Edited by jude_b

[quote name='jude_b' timestamp='1453553748' post='2960476']
Watched this last night and thought it was extremely sad, particularly with respect to the impact of his deterioration and early death on his family. In my view, the focus was on these aspects rather than his musical impact when he was in his prime. I'm not saying that it's not a good documentary, but it's certainly not an easy watch.

I haven't watched the second disc yet, which may have more of his music on it.
[/quote]

this is also how I always felt about the "Modern Electric Bass" video, Jaco's state in it is not very good, and although the practice material is valuable and the performances at the end impressive, it's a tough watch.

The second disc is interviews mostly.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it last night and thought it was OK. I thought the direction was a bit clunky in places, but that didn't really detract from the thing as a whole. I think it does a very good job of highlighting what a massive and tragic loss Jaco's death was, and the impact it had not just on the musical world, but the effect it had on his friends and family. The most uncomfortable part is the footage from the instructional film he did with Jerry Jermont - i find that such a difficult watch that I gave my copy away years ago; a unique genius who was really struggling, and seemed to be falling apart on that vhS cassette wasn't something I really wanted to see again.

I might give it a bit before I watch the extras DVD.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1453216456' post='2957489']
I'd also say, if you haven't had the time / inclination to get into Jaco before now, it's a great place to start and really does give a good insight into why he is held in such high esteem by so many...
[/quote]

I might give it a watch off the back of your suggestion. I know how highly regarded Jaco is by many in the bass community and I mean no disrespect whatsoever but I've always struggled to see what the fuss is about. I've listened to the recordings, watched the videos but I just don't get it. I'm not disputing Jaco's ability, talent and soul but if it's not your thing it's not your thing I guess; perhaps watching this film will change my mind?