Why become a member? ×

Bravewood or limelight?

danbowskill

I want to start saving for a decent 58 sunburst p bass replica with medium relic.
I've followed a lot of talk on limelight basses......and a little on Bravewood. Anyone had first hand with both? Best bang for buck so to speak as there is no price to gauge without having to enquire.
I'll probably be tops at £1000

Not played a bravewood. But I've played 2 Limelights, and they were both lovely basses
They were both great to play, and one of them was for sale. At the time, I really wanted it,
but had to sell something else..... It's a huge regret, that I let it go - it sold very soon afterwards

Mark will do a bass to your spec, and looking at his prices, I'd say you'll get what you want for £1k - or less
Let us know what you decided - and post some piccies when you get it :)

Limelights are probably bordering on half the price of a Bravewood so materials used & man-hours should be taken into account. I'm not sure how you'd measure bang for buck or if either of those really come into it at the end of the day.

Where are you based? Limelight are down on the South Coast but I imagine it'd be easier to get your hands on one for a quick trial if you were to ask nicely in the Limelight thread.

Have you looked at Mark's website, classicandcoolguitars ?
I see there's a LImelight for sale at the moment

http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/portfolio/limelight-custom-00161/

If I was just 20 miles away, I'd be popping around to take a look :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1453370270' post='2958764']
Have you looked at Mark's website, classicandcoolguitars ?
I see there's a LImelight for sale at the moment

[url="http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/portfolio/limelight-custom-00161/"]http://classicandcoo...t-custom-00161/[/url]

If I was just 20 miles away, I'd be popping around to take a look :)
[/quote] I'd rather hang on till i'm closer to having the funds as i would feel to 'obliged' if i tried one if you know what i mean?
Also there is something very odd looking to me having a MM pickup in a P bass

Edited by danbowskill

That's almost the twin to my Limelight. 58 P, gold anodised plate. Jazz neck was the clincher for me.

I'd never looked at a P before with any interest or enthusiasm, something about this that leapt out at me and I havent regretted it. Bought it on a whim and I'm fairly sure it's a keeper, which isn't something I say often after 30 odd years of playing !
The relicing for me really is a big part of the basses appeal. The relief of picking it up and putting it down without a worry of the odd mark or scratch is great. A pristine instrument is fabulous but it's truly difficult to relax with one. I'm not an abuser :lol: but it's refreshing to not be conscious of it. The worn neck is also lovely.

I still have no interest in a new Fender P and doubt I ever will. I feel like I got lucky, but from what I've read of other Limelight owners I don't appear to be the only one. I'm struggling to think what could improve it (over another P)

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1453644112' post='2961306']
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=limelight+p+bass&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3u-r6zcLKAhUJVRQKHZUKBIAQ_AUIBigB#mhpiv=3
[/quote]

Oh FFS!!! Now I have GAS! I'm picking up a new bass next weekend and an amp and cabs the following weekend and that was supposed to be me GAS free for a while. I guess I should have known better really.

Edited by Painy