Why become a member? ×

Markbass VLE and VPF

Nicko

I never used them on either of mine - I use the tone controls on the bass and the way I play to change my sound. Having said that, once I've set the amp for the room (with any of my amps) I don't touch it during a gig.

New to the MB and still exploring what it can do but I'm finding more and more that I use the filters more than the tone controls which are left flat. Mind you I don't use the filters much either except at home, 10 o'clock is pretty extreme for me.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1458719434' post='3010061']
When I had a LM2 I used a VT bass pedal to get all the sounds as I wasn't keen on how any of the amp eq worked. Also found out it gave full power with the master volume at 12 o' clock as it didn't get any louder past that point.
[/quote]

Same here. As much as I like MB I find the tone needs a bit of living up. Also agree about hitting noon and not getting much more out of it, although luckily I've only had a couple of cabs that needed me to turn up that high.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1453124946' post='2956546']
Mine are set to off as I've never found these add anything to my sound.
[/quote]

+1

I used an LM2 with Aguilar GS112 cabs and then Bergantino AE112 cabs and I had both filters switched off.

I thought the LM2 sounded great without them.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1458719434' post='3010061']
When I had a LM2 I used a VT bass pedal to get all the sounds as I wasn't keen on how any of the amp eq worked.
[/quote]

This, I had a Sansamp (and before that a Behringer clone) in front of my LMIII to liven it up, and found I never switched it off. I moved onto an amp which gave me more of the sound I was after without the perma-pedal... IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc... ;)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1458736019' post='3010289']
This, I had a Sansamp (and before that a Behringer clone) in front of my LMIII to liven it up, and found I never switched it off. I moved onto an amp which gave me more of the sound I was after without the perma-pedal... IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc... ;)
[/quote]

Pretty much the exact route i took. i also had a DG VMTD and tried a Paradriver before settling on a VTBass, all always on, but now im trying out a GK MB800 without anything in font on it. Time to move on from MB for me, although ill keep my F1 as a back up.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1458801834' post='3010932']
Mark bass run flat is a fantastic blank canvas to for specific basses and effects , a P bass to me just sounds perfect through a flat Mark bass rig
[/quote]

I concur. I find that it takes preamp pedals very nicely just straight into front of amp too.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1458801834' post='3010932']
Mark bass run flat is a fantastic blank canvas to for specific basses and effects , a P bass to me just sounds perfect through a flat Mark bass rig
[/quote]
Same here too.
At higher volumes I sometimes add a little VPF to smooth it out,maybe 9:00, but generally flat.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1453124946' post='2956546']
Mine are set to off as I've never found these add anything to my sound. [/quote]

Back when I used an LM2 I had the filters off, I thought my sound was much better without them.

I don't think they should be removed. They probably are useful to other players.

Having only recently moved to a Markbass LM2 head I've finally found my sound by having all tone controls at 0, filters off and tone shaping done by a Sansamp BDDI. Why has it taken me so long?

• 5 years later...
On 18/01/2016 at 14:34, discreet said:

They are very useful indeed but should be used with discretion, especially the VPF and especially live. The VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) gradually rolls off a wider and wider range of top-end for a more old-skool sound, while the VPF (Variable Pre-Shape Filter) will progressively Boost lows and highs, in effect giving you a mid-scooped sound. Though this makes the amp sound very nice when playing solo or at home, you definitely don't want to be scooping your mids in a live situation as you will not be heard.

It's important to note that both controls are only in the 'OFF' position when fully LEFT, and not at 12 o'clock.

They are a major selling point of Markbass amps. When I had a Markbass, I set the EQ controls flat and got all the sounds I needed using only the VLE and VPF filters. You can get an amazing combination of tones just by using the filters and nothing else.

Thank you. I have had my LM for many years and randomly played around with these settings. This explanation is like the clouds parting for me!

I've never used the VPF because I hate the smile EQ. I just don't get it. I'm not a slapper so maybe that's the reason. 

On the other hand, I love the VLE. I use just a touch (at 8-9) it makes the sound from the DI better IMO. If I mic the cab and I'm not getting the DI signal from the head, I just don't use it. But if the sound is coming from the DI of my Little Mark Tube, adding a little bit of VLE makes the sound better. 

I have to admit that I also have the Vintage Pre, and I hate the "Old School" filter. It's supposed to be a fixed VLE, but it's too much for my taste.  

• 2 weeks later...