Why become a member? ×

Help on what to take to record abroad

seymourfluid

Could I get some help from you ladies and gentlemen?

Mr John Otway has decided to record his new album at George Martins derelict music studio on the island of Montserrat in September. The fact that it was destroyed first by the volcano and then by a hurricane seems not to be discouraging him from this idea. As his bass player, it appears I will be forced to accompany him, stay in Mr Martins house, record lots of music and drink copiously. I think the sea may be quite close?

It has been pointed out that getting my flightcased Mesa Boogie rig in the little turbo prop that flies to the island may be logistically difficult, so I am looking for an alternative for recording. I was thinking of getting a Sansamp Para Driver V2. It seems to have 2 outputs to record dry for post EQ and a reasonable valve preamp emulation and I wondered if anyone had experience recording with one of these, or any other ideas on what I could take?

I will be taking my Musicman Sterling Bass and usually play through a MesaBoogie Carbine M6, 1X15, 2X12 cabs with no effects as I like a fast attack amp. I’m a bit fiddly.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

First thought ;
It might be wise to check what the local voltage will be , it may be 110v or something .

Second thought ;I seem to recall a story of Elton John recording there with his old regular band . The studio atmosphere was full of the local giggleweed so that when the guitarist decided that the current track needed some banjo and he opened the banjo case whereupon his banjo snapped in two due to the flight handling , the drummer fell off his stool laughing and no more recording was possible that day because of the giggles !