Why become a member? ×

Manshed studio build **ADVICE ON INSULATION PLEASE**

Beedster

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1453207691' post='2957359']
These are great for humidity \moisture control.

Cheap too.

[url="https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/product/home/compact-dehumidifier-moisture-absorber"]https://www.wilcodir...isture-absorber[/url]
[/quote]

Which is [i]definitely[/i] something you need to consider if you intend to clad or otherwise panel the walls.

PS: those are very cheap! Cheers for the heads up. We use something similar in a few rooms at home, but are paying a few quid more.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453114600' post='2956394'] I went for an audition last week which turned out to be at a small terraced house in a densely-populated urban area. The rehearsal room was a large shed at the bottom of a short garden. There was some rudimentary soundproofing. The band have been playing there weekly for about a year and have yet to receive a single complaint. I will say it's a country band... might well be a different story were it any flavour of rock band. So you could be OK. [/quote]

hmmm sounds familiar- wouldn't be in Brockley by any chance? The band I was in a few years ago rented a rehearsal space a few times that sounds a lot like this...

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1453217695' post='2957511']
hmmm sounds familiar- wouldn't be in Brockley by any chance? The band I was in a few years ago rented a rehearsal space a few times that sounds a lot like this...
[/quote]

No, north of the river and east. But strangely I do live a stone's throw from Brockley, in Forest Hill...

Edited by discreet

Best way to kill low frequencies is with lots and lots of mass.

All the Rockwool Insulation will do is make your room unbearably hot, it won't make enough of a difference to the noise levels emanating from the shed.

I suspect the walls of the shed will also end up amplifying certain frequencies.

The only way to kill noise is with mass; lots and lots of mass. If there was a way that you could build a breeze block wall around the shed then that would do more than any sort of cladding or insulation.

Alternatively, use an electric drum kit and get everyone kitted out with headphones!

Whenever this topic surfaces, a number of misunderstandings pop up in its wake.

Soundproofing. Unless you plan to record the next Muse album in your shed, there is absolutely no need to make it soundproof. What Chris wants is what I wanted - to avoid disturbing or upsetting the neighbours. For that you need sound reduction.

Volume. I've known a number of guitar-playing clowns who claimed that they couldn't get their tone unless they played at gig volume. I no longer play with any of them. At a rehearsal you just need to be able to all hear each other, tone is almost irrelevant.

Control. Assuming you can use an electric drumkit (which Chris will) then this is laughably easy. You just rehearse without a PA. The volume level is set by the unamplified human voice, and all other instruments have no choice but to match their volume to that.

Experience. I've been doing the stuff above for about five years now, and with six (yes, six) different bands playing wildly different styles of music. It works.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1453333141' post='2958628']
Alternatively, use an electric drum kit and get everyone kitted out with headphones!
[/quote]

For anything requiring volume this is probably what we're going to do (hence my selling my B-15 and replacing it with a REDDI). However, most of it will be acoustic so no huge problem.

Re noise in general, I whacked the hifi up pretty loud in there yesterday and was surprised at how little of it travelled. Of course, from the neighbours perspective, recorded music doesn't have many of the annoying qualities of a band rehearsing or recording, but it's a good start. As has been suggested above, talking to the neighbours, letting them know when there might be noise, and the odd bottle of Chateua Manshed won;t go amiss and will likely be as effective as 15cms of cladding!

Really appreciate all the responses above guys!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1453360843' post='2958670']
Whenever this topic surfaces, a number of misunderstandings pop up in its wake.

Soundproofing. Unless you plan to record the next Muse album in your shed, there is absolutely no need to make it soundproof. What Chris wants is what I wanted - to avoid disturbing or upsetting the neighbours. For that you need sound reduction.

Volume. I've known a number of guitar-playing clowns who claimed that they couldn't get their tone unless they played at gig volume. I no longer play with any of them. At a rehearsal you just need to be able to all hear each other, tone is almost irrelevant.

Control. Assuming you can use an electric drumkit (which Chris will) then this is laughably easy. You just rehearse without a PA. The volume level is set by the unamplified human voice, and all other instruments have no choice but to match their volume to that.

Experience. I've been doing the stuff above for about five years now, and with six (yes, six) different bands playing wildly different styles of music. It works.
[/quote]

As ever, I walk in your shadow Jack :)

Yep, everything's going into the desk and either to headphones or monitors. Luckily I play with musicians who realise that volume is not necessary for quality performance.

Having said this, an electronic kit is next on my list, so if anyone has a decent one they want to get rid of, and fancies a B-15 in exchange, let me know.

Well, following some rather good fortune today I'm now sorted on most of the studio instruments, details to follow..........

Oh, and keep your eyes open for all the live/gigging gear, as well as a load of bass projects, I'm going to be selling in the next few weeks....

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1453580196' post='2960833']
Well, following some rather good fortune today I'm now sorted on most of the studio instruments, details to follow..........

Oh, and keep your eyes open for all the live/gigging gear, as well as a load of bass projects, I'm going to be selling in the next few weeks....
[/quote]

Bass projects as in half finished instruments?

Eyes PEEEEELED 😂

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1453583631' post='2960872']

Yep, will keep you posted, 5 high quality projects at last count :)
[/quote]

Cool, if you have 2 minutes Chris, could you inbox with the 5 (just a rough idea, not pics etc)

Just returned a bass to thomann I was going to work into a project, wasn't good enough for what I wanted.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1453628781' post='2961084']
The shorter the daylight hours, the louder I go, within reason of course. Summer is always quite quiet as people insist on sitting in their garden.
[/quote]

That's right, the bloody bastards! Carrying on like they own the place! You'd think they'd have better things to do!

• 3 months later...

About to emabark on something similar but with a view to a lot more4 insulation for cool in summer and warm in the summer. Not too concerned about soundproofing since it's 150' away from the nearest neighbour and it won't have a kit in it. Looking at a SIPS kit from ebay with cedar cladding and triple glazed doors. Total project cost for an 8x10 properly insulated, to housing standard, space should be around 2 grand.

[quote name='Lee-Man' timestamp='1463931128' post='3055075']
How have you got on with the shed build?
[/quote]

Hello mate, I'd completely forgotten I'd started this! Kids and work permitting it's coming along, I'll update with some photos at the weekend.

Main problem I have at present isn't the amount of sound that gets out, but the amount of sound that gets in. In fact I'm going to have to do something to rectify this, especially as I'm wanting to record mostly acoustic instruments. You don't realise how much ambient noise floats around a back garden until you want to record stuff!

Chris