Why become a member? ×

Insecurity or musical p***s envy?

colgraff

Does anyone else always think that other people's bass playing has a better sound than yours? Intellectually, I know I have a great sound as people always tell me that I do, but when listening to someone else, theirs invariably sounds better to my ears. Not the playing or skill, just the sound/tone, etc. It doesn't matter if they are playing my gear or their own, either?

Does this happen to others, or just me?

I think that might be to do with the notion that the grass is always greener on the other side. We look for faults in our own playing and those said faults can be manifested from the better parts of the playing of other people. I think it may be an unconscious sign that you might want to up your playing a bit? :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1453040548' post='2955821']
I occasionally hear a bass player with a sound I really love. It tends to be those who use an active bass with a pick, which is the opposite to what I use. But when it comes to actually playing, I am never satisfied unless I get that messy upper midrange sound
[/quote]

Likewise!

I always feel like my playing sucks, though people keep asking me to play on things, and they seem to like it so who knows. I often feel that way, that what I hear others doing is more tasteful/better tone etc, but I think it's mostly just me thinking too much when I play!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1453039967' post='2955812']
Does anyone else always think that other people's bass playing has a better sound than yours? Intellectually, I know I have a great sound as people always tell me that I do, but when listening to someone else, theirs invariably sounds better to my ears. Not the playing or skill, just the sound/tone, etc. It doesn't matter if they are playing my gear or their own, either?

Does this happen to others, or just me?
[/quote]

Yeah its a definite effect. Its not that someone else is playing it specifically IMO, its because your brain is devoting much of its capacity to playing and not just listening so you get the same effect when recording something and listening back to it - it sounds different because 100% of your attention is on listening (which it obviously cant be while playing at the same time).

Also perception of sound is a complex and fickle thing and heavily influenced by what we are expecting to hear as demonstrated by this clip ...
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=G-lN8vWm3m0[/url]

Edited by bassman7755

Not always by any means. Some players I hear sound great, some don't.

At a recent jam, I let a guy play my bass ('73P) through my rig (Demeter head + BF Midget cab). I love my sound when playing through this, but he sounded shocking! The reason? I play with a light touch, over or behind the pickup; he played with an upright-player's attack, right up by the neck.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1453045837' post='2955890']
Not always by any means. Some players I hear sound great, some don't.

At a recent jam, I let a guy play my bass ('73P) through my rig (Demeter head + BF Midget cab). I love my sound when playing through this, but he sounded shocking! The reason? I play with a light touch, over or behind the pickup; he played with an upright-player's attack, right up by the neck.
[/quote]

Although it is subjective.

What sounds shocking to you may be another players tonal aspiration.

It really is wide and varied.

Obviously I will listen to other bass players when seeing bands. I am always interested in their sound as much as their playing. Quite often I will thint wow I like their sound and want some of it. When we play I always sound check by going out front so know what I sound like. At the time there us always more than the bass to concentrate on and you can't indulge yourself in you sound. Then its back to the stage where it sound different. I have plenty of comments on my sound which is reassuring. Also when I let someone else play a song it sound great out front too.

That's the bass sound. The actual bass playing comparison is a different story altogether.

I often find that I`m envious of the tone that bassists playing Jazzes or Stingrays get, yet when I play those type of basses it sounds nothing like what they were able to get out of them and I find I`m disappointed. Main example is Duff McKagan - I love his tone, yet if a bass/amp is set up for that tone it just sounds rotten when I play it.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1453048112' post='2955919']
Although it is subjective.

What sounds shocking to you may be another players tonal aspiration.

It really is wide and varied.
[/quote]

True enough, but it was a tone I very much did [i]not[/i] envy!

Better sound? Tone?

No. Not 'always'.

Some players conjure up a fantastic sound but I like what I sound like and don't want to sound like them. I want to sound like me.

Technical ability, note choices and feel? Now that's a whole different ball game.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1453050994' post='2955964']
Better sound? Tone?

No. Not 'always'.

Some players conjure up a fantastic sound but I like what I sound like and don't want to sound like them. I want to sound like me.

Technical ability, note choices and feel? Now that's a whole different ball game.
[/quote]

Absolutely with you on that.
Some players I hear have a sound I like, others I'm not keen on their tone but that doesn't mean it's a bad sound, just not for me.
One of the primary reasons I chose the basses I now own is because I wanted to develop my own sound on an instrument that was designed to be different and afforded me a different approach to developing my own tone. I have to say it's still a work in progress but I love where I am currently and I'm sure there are some that like my current tone and others who may not. As long as it works for the music that's the important bit.
I think this is going to be another interesting thread that I will follow keenly.
Cool post Colgraff