Why become a member? ×

It's not for me - but someone is gonna like this

Happy Jack

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452780556' post='2953425']
That must be the least inviting ad for a bass player I've ever read.
Whoever wrote it comes across as a right ****.
[/quote]

To be honest, I think they know what they're looking for and have made the terms pretty clear. I'd rather than than what happened to me a few years ago which is that a band advertised for me, seriously, I met every criteria they stated, including the exact taste in 70's funk rock. I turned up to the audition to find a bunch of 16 year-olds who realised they'd forgotten to put 'must be 16' in their ad. I was 45 at the time. Shame, their setlist was awesome, but not only did they look like Hanson's kid brothers, they sounded like those f*****g awful cartoon chipmunks. Good luck to the band in the link, as Jack suggests, there'll be plenty for whom that is a great opportunity

"[color=#3C3241]We signed a management contract back in October, and because of aptitude, we had to let our bassist go"[/color]

[color=#3C3241]Because of aptitude? Was he the only one apt enough to realise that the contract was a complete turkey?[/color]

[color=#3C3241]EDIT: Ah yes, I've just noticed they signed with BMU. Clearly he was the only member with any aptitude.[/color]

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1452791395' post='2953565']
"Can play a myriad of styles, basically speaking Jazz..."

Calling Bilbo... :)
[/quote]

I've not met Bilbo so can't be sure, but whilst I can't quite put my finger on a specific reason, I'm guessing it might not be a trouble-free relationship?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452784523' post='2953493']
BMU?

¿Qué?
[/quote]

Oh, not a subtle pun or anything; just bitter experience. A friend's band signed a contract with them and, against my better advice, paid a not-insubstantial sum of money upfront for their services. Every update I had from him seemed to be dripping with more and more exasperation. At one point they even contacted Cherry White, after our drummer answered an ad that 'looked interesting.' I went to meet some of them and one of their first questions was "so how many of you are there in the band?" (Followed not long after by "we can do x,y and z for you if you give us this much upfront.")

From the BMU website:

[b][size=5]BMU MUSIC MANAGEMENT[/size][/b]
[b]GET EXPOSED WORLDWIDE[/b]

So their main selling point is EXPOSURE. Wahey!

If I want exposure I can go to the end of my garden path and drop my duds. If I want worldwide exposure I can film it and upload it to YouTube.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1452800731' post='2953676']
From the BMU website:

[b][size=5]BMU MUSIC MANAGEMENT[/size][/b]
[b]GET EXPOSED WORLDWIDE[/b]

So their main selling point is EXPOSURE. Wahey!

If I want exposure I can go to the end of my garden path and drop my duds. If I want worldwide exposure I can film it and upload it to YouTube.
[/quote]

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure

(Edit: linked out to relevant comic instead due to swears)

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1452802833' post='2953707']

[url="http://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure"]http://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure[/url]

(Edit: linked out to relevant comic instead due to swears)
[/quote]

Oh yes!

Anyway, back on topic, there's a band who know what they want, and I have no problem with that.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1454518626' post='2970451']
Well they certainly know what they want, and they have ambition and determination. I'm pretty sure that before too long in the near future we will never hear of them ever again.
[/quote]

Hey, it's already happened!