Why become a member? ×

Precisions - How do you justify having two (or more!)?

jbasst

I love the Precision for its plug n play simpleness. I cant be bothered with fancy basses and multiple knobs that do little or nowt. I too have the Nate Mendel which I have left alone. I like the Q P pickups, the hotter sound suits some songs.
I have 3 P basses actually. :happy:

After several days of deliberation, I took my Precision (with flats) to an audition last night. It's my 'learn stuff on' bass as i'm less able to mess about with pickup settings and just pay attention to the notes. Most of the songs being covered were recorded on one anyway, so I decided to take it. All of my other basses are either two pickup or active (or both). I decided the audition wasn't about how versatile my bass was, so along came the P.

It just worked. Amp generally flat with a little bottom and top boost, plugged the bass in direct due to a lack of plugs for my Zoom B3. Awesome bottom end fatness - I could see the others appreciated it to. I haven't found out if I got the position yet, but either way I just enjoyed playing and not thinking about tonal options.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452846455' post='2953952']
You moving somewhere with more spaces for basses KB?
[/quote]
That's what I'm afraid of Rob.Will more space lead to more bass ?

I don't know much physics. Is there a Law that says X amount of bass concentrated in 1 place will cause implosion ?

I've got two Precisions, and i'd happily have more if i had the room/money.

Best all round basses i've played.

I've mentioned it before but whenever I take a different bass to a gig I find myself wishing I'd brought a precision. When I take a precision, I don't wish for anything else. It's exactly my sound.

Edited by bassbiscuits

agree with machines above - they just work and its a sound people just [i]recognise[/i]. I played mine flat and wide open througha Zoom B2 on ampeg (slightly) and a PA and it rocked. Its sounded fatter than augustus gloop at a chocolate eating contest.

Edited by Geek99

I've only got one at the moment, a MIM 2011 model - Alder body with maple cap neck. Electronics are KiOgon, pick up is currently stock - probably gonna be changed within the next month or so, and the strings are 18 month old TI flats, it is the best sounding and feeling bass I've ever owned. I want to get another one with a rosewood neck next and for this to go back to some nice rounds.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1452701306' post='2952600']
I don't have any precisions. But, one fretted and one fretless as mentioned. Then there's the five string. Then there's a backup or more than a backup. Then, as mentioned, one with flats.

Then there's the six-string:

After that, it's an obsession.
[/quote]

Schwing. What is THAT?!

I think it's sensible to have a backup which is as close as possible to your main bass, so that you're familiar with it if you have to pick it up in a hurry. Thus my backup to my Shuker JJ is my Mex Precision, which has pretty much the same neck profile. Our guitarist once tried to play a song with a guitar he didn't usually play, I still shudder at the thought.....