Why become a member? ×

Precisions - How do you justify having two (or more!)?

jbasst

I currently have a Nate Mendel P that is working great for me - I've replaced the Seymour Duncan QP's for Aguilar 60s pickups, and replaced the badass II with a BBOT vintage style fender bridge.
Strung up with flats it's great for that dead, thumpy sound, but I still miss having the sheen of rounds for pick playing and slapping ..

What does everyone think about having two of the "same" type of bass?
How do you justify it to yourself that you 'need' another? ;)

[quote name='jbasst' timestamp='1452699894' post='2952572']
I currently have a Nate Mendel P that is working great for me - I've replaced the Seymour Duncan QP's for Aguilar 60s pickups, and replaced the badass II with a BBOT vintage style fender bridge.
Strung up with flats it's great for that dead, thumpy sound, but I still miss having the sheen of rounds for pick playing and slapping ..

What does everyone think about having two of the "same" type of bass?
How do you justify it to yourself that you 'need' another? ;)
[/quote]

Yeah... Don't see a problem with it based on what you've already said. I have Beedster's 70's Yamaha Pulsar incoming and other than being maple/ash (as opposed to my current rosewood/alder p) it's my year of birth bass I've been keeping an eye for for while and wanted before my 40th next year...

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1452700160' post='2952578']

Havent you just done that??? :lol:
[/quote]

I've had it with flats on for a while and hate to keep changing between flats and rounds..

So I suppose I've answered my own question there! 😄

I currently have 2 precisions , and another project precision on hold, I'm also looking for a 70s precision

Justification

I collect and play basses, I can sell them on to recover the money if I wish , like art etc. Also I am not into sports cars or golf clubs

One with rounds for 'rock'-type music... and one with flats for, er... 'everything else'. One is rosewood, one maple... obviously I need a third strung with half-wounds, as a spare/backup...

...and I'd quite like a Cabronita. And a Mike Dirnt Roadworn... hmm...

Edited by discreet

Currently on 3, with a Bravewood on the way.

Why? Who knows. Just ended up that way!

I have my Roadworn that was a 30th birthday present that just feels so right, I can never sell it.

I have a JV series '57 which is incredible, that I have considered selling as I don't tend to use it much but I like the idea of having a future Classic in my stable. Plus the fact I had to replace the truss rod on it, so this would affect resale value and I don't think it would be worth my while to sell considering what I'd get back.

I have a Silver Series which is fantastic. Very much feels like a budget instrument when played alongside the RW and the JV but it's so well put together that it's a perfect gigging bass and again, I can't justify selling it just to recoup £200-odd when there are £700+ precisions out there that don't play as well as this.

Finally, my dream precision was always a '57 style in transparent blonde, with a custom profile slim neck. Decided to go home grown and asked John from Bravewood. Should be ready in the next couple months I would think. Where this will fit into my playing, who knows! It could be my no.1 gigging bass or something I just play at home.

I do love P basses!

I only have one amp and one cab though.

I haven't got any Fenders, but I am in the '2 of the same bass' camp if that helps.

Mine are both strung with the same Flats, as well.

My justification is that, a) I'm an enthusiast of 4001 basses before the pickup changed position, B) rarity as they get older means I had to grab whilst I could, and lastly, c) If anything happens to one of them, I can lock the other one away so I'll always own one of my dream basses! :D

Edited by spongebob