Why become a member? ×

Anyone got, or tried a Vintage Gordon Giltrap sig electro acoustic?

leschirons

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one of the GG signature 12-strings and it is actually very nice!

The neck, compared to my Washburn Cumberland 12-string is quite slim (or maybe the Washburn is quite fat!) and is very playable, the fretboard has a decent radius that makes it quite easy to fret barre chords all the way up the neck, and it's possible to get the action quite low without losing too much tone and incurring rattles and buzzes.

I'm not too impressed with the plugged sound, but I have that issue with most electro-acoustics. However as I only use it at home or for recording, this isn't a major problem, and the pickup and eq system [i]is [/i]quite flexible, so maybe I'm just not spending enough time to really find a sweet spot.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dogload' timestamp='1453450360' post='2959551']
I've got one of the GG signature 12-strings and it is actually very nice!

The neck, compared to my Washburn Cumberland 12-string is quite slim (or maybe the Washburn is quite fat!) and is very playable, the fretboard has a decent radius that makes it quite easy to fret barre chords all the way up the neck, and it's possible to get the action quite low without losing too much tone and incurring rattles and buzzes.

I'm not too impressed with the plugged sound, but I have that issue with most electro-acoustics. However as I only use it at home or for recording, this isn't a major problem, and the pickup and eq system [i]is [/i]quite flexible, so maybe I'm just not spending enough time to really find a sweet spot.
[/quote]

Only just noticed your reply. Thanks for taking the time. Funnily enough, I've been using Washburns myself (6 string) An old 80's Festival and one of the little known Millennium 2000 models but really need to retire them both and was really looking something a little louder unplugged than the Washburns which both have slim bodies.

From what you say, maybe the neck isn't as chunky as people make out and that was really my only concern. I'm back in the UK at the end of March so may well try and source one to try then.

Thanks again for your reply.