Why become a member? ×

Stingray Shootout: Standard VS Classic (video!)

AngelDust

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=UapIuZeKi98"][/url]

https://youtu.be/UapIuZeKi98

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I hope You'll like this comparison of 2 really good Music Man Stingrays. One of them is typical but very solid one from 95. It has Flea-bridge and older type alnico pickup (btw like the Flea had, even in the same colour). From another side is Classic model of Stingray from 2010. Made to represent the feel of old school stingrays from the beginnings. So try to hear the difference in sound between them. They were recorded in absolutely the same environment. And yes, this time there are the same type of strings on both of them [/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] D'Addario Nickel Wounds 45-105.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I use:[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Avalon U5 DI[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Aguilar DB-750 Amp[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Bergantino HD-210 Cabinet[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Rode NT-2A Mic[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
RME Fireface - Macbook Pro - Logic Pro X (audio)[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Final Cut Pro 10.2 (video)[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
[size=3]See You on the next reviews![/size][/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]
Cheers![/font][/color]

Cool video...

I owned a 1994 3 band stingray with a maple board (which I sold) and now own a 2011 Stingray classic with a maple board. I can confidently say (as I have recorded and gigged extensively with both basses and had them both under the microscope in various conditions) I much prefer the Classic to the the 1994 3 band. The classic preamp is darker, thicker, more thumpy whereas I had issues with the spiky three band sound. The 7.25 neck radius on the classic is a winner too.

Edited by Cairobill

Probably the best Musicman Stingray bass comparison on the net - well done.
Played thru decent headphones you can really hear the subtle differences. Really good playing too - not just another hero slapping da bass.

Dont suppose you could find an early USA Sub to compare against the Classic to lay one of my personal demons to rest?

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1452724425' post='2952977']
Probably the best Musicman Stingray bass comparison on the net - well done.
Played thru decent headphones you can really hear the subtle differences. Really good playing too - not just another hero slapping da bass.

Dont suppose you could find an early USA Sub to compare against the Classic to lay one of my personal demons to rest?
[/quote]
Thanks for kind words, bro!
I would like to find some SUB for recording, but don't have it for this moment. Maybe in the future ;)

[quote name='AngelDust' timestamp='1452727485' post='2953002']
Thanks for kind words, bro!
I would like to find some SUB for recording, but don't have it for this moment. Maybe in the future ;)
[/quote]

I'd lend you mine if you were near Edinburgh! ;)

Guest Jecklin

Great video, thank you!

I'd be happy with the sound of either, but for my music I feel the '95 3band would suit me better.

I would only have considered a 2band before, but this video has shown me what I could alter with the 3eq to make it fit perfectly in my anti-funk.

I have had a hankering for a stingray fretless for for a long time, but now I could see gas for a fretted anyway.

Oh dear

Edited by Jecklin

That's a very nice comparison.

The 3 band MM EQ does seem to have more upper mid at centre detent.

The EQ controls on both versions interact in that for instance boosting bass may affect the sound of the mids.

I have a 4 string classic and a 5 string USA Sub. They sound fairly similar to me but I think the poplar (used on the Sub) sounds slightly mellower. The classic has the strings through bridge which certainly increases sustain but also has all the cool high quality materials and finishes, as well as the adjustable mutes which give an additional sound available.

However my Sub is very cool IMO in the textured white colour and retains the diamond check aluminium scratch plate which I think is great. The neck has a painted finish (on the back) - similar to my Bongo, which is fine by me. You won't get a maple finger board on a Sub (unless someone has modified it).

The Sub sounds great to me, but so does the Classic.

Edited by drTStingray

That is an excellent way of doing an a/b comparison of two basses - great work.

Preferred the classic in the first style, but thought the standard was a little more versatile, and sounded better in all the others, although it was the first style that was my favourite of all.