Why become a member? ×

New drummer found, now guitarist is off on one...

AndyTravis

Maybe everyone needs a bit of time to settle in with each other, sure you're not boot camping it a bit too soon ? You seem to be the bandleader so I guess it's up to you, but maybe you're all missing the old drummer, and that's showing in the problems the band are having.

YMMV but I'd be looking to get everyone to relax, get to know each other musically and get comfortable sharing space with each other before expecting the band to back where it was when the previous drummer left.

EDIT: That said, your band seems to be different to the kind of band I usually play with, so it's possible my approach isn't suitable.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1452696817' post='2952536']
Maybe everyone needs a bit of time to settle in with each other, sure you're not boot camping it a bit too soon ? You seem to be the bandleader so I guess it's up to you, but maybe you're all missing the old drummer, and that's showing in the problems the band are having.

YMMV but I'd be looking to get everyone to relax, get to know each other musically and get comfortable sharing space with each other before expecting the band to back where it was when the previous drummer left.

EDIT: That said, your band seems to be different to the kind of band I usually play with, so it's possible my approach isn't suitable.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think we've realised how lucky we'd been - and I am pushing, but if I'm honest I've got a crap attention span so if the band isn't busy I lose interest.

And by band leader you mean mug who does more but gets paid the same as everyone else...yeah 😂

First rehearsal with a new drummer tonight. I've already sent out YouTube links so we're all learning the same version of the songs. Unprompted, new drummer has suggested he plays to clicks, "while we all settle-in with each other". I'm actually looking forward to it because it should take away the usual "I think it's faster/slower than that..." with associated faffing about with iphones.

The best drummer I ever worked with (serious pro' - won't drop his name, but some would recognise it) carried a metronome. Before the start of a number, he'd listen to it briefly (we'd agreed tempos at rehearsals), give us two bars with his sticks and job done - perfect starting tempo every time. If he wasn't too proud to check the tempo, nobody else should be.

Edited by Dan Dare

I remember having these problems as a teenager but it's never happened in a mature set up. There is nothing worse than musicians racing each other through a song. There is something fundamental going on here. The drummer may be excellent but he sounds inexperienced and doesn't have the confidence to pull it back. Problems need to be discussed so get it out there. He will get there eventually.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1452815369' post='2953850']
What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?
With a drum machine, you only have to punch the information in ONCE.
[/quote]

What's got 3 legs and a twat on top?

A drum stool.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1452936829' post='2954807']
I remember having these problems as a teenager but it's never happened in a mature set up. There is nothing worse than musicians racing each other through a song. There is something fundamental going on here. The drummer may be excellent but he sounds inexperienced and doesn't have the confidence to pull it back. Problems need to be discussed so get it out there. He will get there eventually.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to put my nurturing hat on and fix this.

It's my job to sort everything else, so I might as well do this.

isolate the guitarist's sound, turn his cab away or something, or position your cab right next to him, so it's mostly just you the drummer can hear, then see what happens, having said that it's better the drummer is speeding up, I've played with a couple that slowed down, bloody awful

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1452938883' post='2954838']
isolate the guitarist's sound, turn his cab away or something, or position your cab right next to him, so it's mostly just you the drummer can hear, then see what happens, having said that it's better the drummer is speeding up, I've played with a couple that slowed down, bloody awful
[/quote]

I've got to admit I've been spoiled overall with my old drummer, 18 or so years learning how to be a rhythm section and other drummers I've played with have commented on how I "lock in" quickly - even house producer mates using sampled kits.

Maybe it comes naturally to some more than others.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1452942151' post='2954876']

I've got to admit I've been spoiled overall with my old drummer, 18 or so years learning how to be a rhythm section and other drummers I've played with have commented on how I "lock in" quickly - even house producer mates using sampled kits.

Maybe it comes naturally to some more than others.
[/quote]
Break ups are never easy.

If the drummer starts at the right tempo... and this is easy to set...and speeds up, then that is a drum fail, in my book.
Gtrs cannot not set tempo... and if he is, gtr fail.

Bass can try and dsrag everytime along but this is tiresome.
If singers are causing issues, then this doesn't sound like a band to me.

I'd canvass everyone as to where they think the problem is and then get everyone to address it but there
is a world of difference between not playing in time and can't... the former is fixible..maybe.. the latter is a deal breaker, imo.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452958434' post='2955085']
If the drummer starts at the right tempo... and this is easy to set...and speeds up, then that is a drum fail, in my book.
Gtrs cannot not set tempo... and if he is, gtr fail.

Bass can try and dsrag everytime along but this is tiresome.
If singers are causing issues, then this doesn't sound like a band to me.

I'd canvass everyone as to where they think the problem is and then get everyone to address it but there
is a world of difference between not playing in time and can't... the former is fixible..maybe.. the latter is a deal breaker, imo.
[/quote]

I've been through all of the above.

The band has been fine until we've come back from Christmas and we've changed drummers. Pretty unfortunate.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1452969222' post='2955243']
I've been through all of the above.

The band has been fine until we've come back from Christmas and we've changed drummers. Pretty unfortunate.
[/quote]

Doesn't sound like you've found your drummer then..?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452972127' post='2955271']

Doesn't sound like you've found your drummer then..?
[/quote]

I'm meeting him two hours before rehearsal starts on Monday.

Going to see what it's all about.

I'm debating the band on the whole right now.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1475585348' post='3147093']
[color=#ff0000]Whatever the tempo is, it stays.... You can't be having changes through a track.[/color]
Either play in time or find new people.

There is no ambiguity about where the 1 is...and everyone hits it. A good drummer will make this very obvious anyway.
[/quote]

Unless it's meant to..:-) However as a device it seems to be dying out ,,