Why become a member? ×

(Belated) NAD - Peavey 400 Series Mark IV Head

Jono Bolton

I acquired this from kaygee at the start of December but it took a knock on transit and wasn't putting out any signal. After a visit to a mate of mine it's now firing on all cylinders.

First up, this is loud. And heavy, but mainly loud. LOUD. It can run a 2 ohm load but at it's debut at band practice tonight I ran it through an unknown, 4 ohm 2x15 cab and I only had it up to about 5. As a reference, I play in a hardcore band with a very heavy-handed drummer and a guitarist who doesn't believe that turning down is an option, and I had no bother with being heard. Everyone loved the tone of it, even our guitarist who is dismissive of everything. The relatively low power ratings (220 watts at 4 ohms, 300 at 2 ohms) are very misleading. I'll need to invest in some decent ear plugs.

I don't think I've even begun to scratch the surface of the tonal possibilities available. The Pyramid function of channel B allows you to boost or cut particular frequencies (I think!), you can use the knobs alone or in conjunction with a 6-band EQ, and the foot switch allows you to switch between the two channels or combine the two. I've been using channel B and then combining it with channel A for a bit of boost for certain sections of songs as I'm not a big pedal fan.

It does things my old Ashdown could only dream of. In an ideal world it would have a mute switch, a jack for the foot switch rather than a DIN-plug, and a detachable kettle lead rather than a hard wired plug but they're minor gripes and you forget about them once you're plugged in. I'm very pleased with it!

Edited by Jono Bolton

I have one of these and I'll never, ever sell it. I've tried more than a few amps now and this one has been hard to beat. Yes it's heavy, but it will deliver in spades

There have been stories of these things continuing to work after falling down staircases and bouncing off the back of gig vans

Love 'em :)

I had the Mk III version as my first amp head. I seem to recall it differed to the Mk IV in not having the graphic EQ. Built like a tank, and sounded brilliant through a Peavey 1820 (one eighteen inch Black Widow and two ten inch Scorpion speakers). I can confirm their durability as it even carried on working after it was dropped down the outside stairs at Nottingham Rock City. More recently I had a Mk IV as a stand in when my SVT was being repaired, and was able to confirm my memories of these old Peavey heads were not rose tinted!

Edited by chriswareham

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys! Fatback, this one came from down south so probably wasn't yours but the cab came from Edinburgh way. I used this to record at the weekend and it sounds dynamite, although anything was preferable to going straight into the desk again. Might even re-record a track we did last month if time allows. I have a gig next Tuesday and can't wait to use it, even if it does weigh the same as a small car.

I've also cleaned the tolex with black boot polish and took the rust off the screws and corners so it looks good as new now!

Edited by Jono Bolton

• 3 weeks later...