Why become a member? ×

Wireless - Passive or Active?

Agwin

I’ve gone wireless – using a Line 6 Relay G30.

Now then:

My Ashdown EVO III head (like many other amps) allows switching the input for passive or active basses (in my case P Bass or Cort Curbow 4.1) – this makes sense to me when the signal from the bass is actually an impulse down a cable - but now the bass isn’t directly linked to the input and the signal travels digitally to the receiver surely I need to select whatever is appropriate for the un-digitised analog signal from the Line 6 receiver, don’t I?

If that is so, do I select passive or active? There’s no mention of specs in the manual.

In practice choosing passive is louder - so have I answered my own question?

Thanks in anticipation for any thoughts, comments or definitive answers.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1452674560' post='2952190']
I tend to plug mine into the 'active' input (it's a switch setting for my amp). No good reason other than habbit I guess as most of my basses have preamps installed.
[/quote]

I tend to plug my basses, active or passive, in the passive socket. My active basses don't really have a particularly hot output. Only if it seemed to be to strong I'd try the active (attenuated) input. I think the passive input sounds better generally.