Why become a member? ×

The old G&L L2000 refuses to die

mcnach

I got a Tribute series L2000 a while ago... but for one reason or another it never became a bass I'd use a lot. It's lovely and ultra versatile but I ended up rotating between Stingray, Precision and sometimes Jazz instead. I played gigs with the L2000 but it was never enough for me to truly *love* it.

Then I removed the electronics and installed a 3-band MMSR preamp from John East.
It sounded very good but... still, nothing.

Then I turned it passive, with Jazz-style VVT controls and parallel/series/single-coil combination switches, and a metal plate just because I like the look.
It's by far my favourite configuration of the three I've tried.
Still... it was a bass I'd occasionally play but never made it into my "top 5".

So, I decided to sell it.

I took pictures, and yesterday I put it on Gumtree [1].
Within hours I get two very interested parties.
However, in that time, I've been playing the L2000... and I've changed my mind. :lol:

[1] For basses I tend to stick them on Gumtree, just to find a local sale and avoid posting... but I'd also put an ad here... I think the reason I did not put an ad here was that subconsciously I knew I did not want to sell it. :lol: Passive, switch to series, roll off tone... amazing reggae tones! Ok, L2000... you may stay ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452353546' post='2949198']
You have to keep it anyway now it's got one of your famous thumb-rests fitted. :D
[/quote]

ha ha :lol:

it does look unlike any other L2000 now, but the thumbrest is removable, as you know :)

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1452353598' post='2949201']
G&l!

Very under rated and oft over looked basses

Your mods sound interesting.

Not all g&l' are active, the l1000 and sb1 and sb2's are passive but have very powerful pickups.
[/quote]

Yeah, those pickups are very very powerful.
One day I'll own a L1500, I think... A G&L SB2 would also be so tempting... argh, here I am, trying to cut down the amount of gear I own and I'm thinking of more. This place is a bad influence. Bad bad influence. :lol:

Oh well... I ended up unable to resist an offer and... the bass is gone.
Damn, it sounded great. A guy and a girl came over to check it out and they wouldn't stop going on about how lovely the neck was, and easy to play, and the great sound... I almost put the price up on the spot! :lol:

Good bye, L2000. :unsure:

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1452932585' post='2954768']
I flat out don't understand why G&L aren't more popular, even ones that have had their beating hearts ripped out in the name of modifications!
[/quote]

*especially* the ones that have had their uninspiring beating hearts ripped out in the name of a more sensible control configuration :P

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1452926300' post='2954752']
Damn, Been looking for a trib for ages....
sold my last one here, a lovely honeyburst/maple jobby and I bitterly regret it now :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Is that the JB-2 you so kindly sold me? It's absolutely lovely and I'm not surprised you bitterly regret it now. :) (Does this help? :D)

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1452926300' post='2954752']
Damn, Been looking for a trib for ages....
sold my last one here, a lovely honeyburst/maple jobby and I bitterly regret it now :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I regret selling that same one! I have their guitars now instead.

Edited by Schnozzalee